Bluetooth to Serial adapter for Windows Mobile 6.5 doing SPP

  • ve7mdt
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22 5:42 AM
      Sorry I have been gone for so long again. Just want to check up on things and continue to play w/ my HTC Advantage x7501 which I still haven't sold (being lazy).

      I have an idea to use a Bluetooth to Serial adapter on the data port on my Kenwood D710A (I actually have 2, one installed already in car), and I hope my Custom ROM on my Windows Mobile still retains the SPP profile on the Bluetooth stack (which I will double check, the stock ROM did, but it did show the COM Ports page on the Bluetooth config page).

      I didn't go for this idea when the only dongles people reported success with were those from $80. to over $100. and I thought they were way too expensive (b/c I can see the same chip is used inside a Bluetooth GPS receiver, and that includes the GPSr while being half that price). Now, it seems that some people found cheaper ones on the market, about $10. or so, and now my interest is back. (Don't ask me why I own an originally $1,500. phone, and don't want to spend $100. on a dongle, well it's no the same time frame).

      So I wonder if anyone has a good suggestion which inexpensive dongle will work for both Windows and Windows Mobile, of course, particularly most importantly with APRSISCE / APRSIS32, and hopefully something else.

      I noticed some requires some soldering as it came as a small PCB and I don't mind doing that as I know how to solder (HI HI). Just don't want to buy the wrong stuff that won't work though as over the years I have read that some do and some needs extra work, and some don't. (as RS-232 is rather complicated in a way, such as which side does initiation, and if it would trigger the chip to send / receive data etc).

      AI am experimenting with caching maps on device, and having some uncertainty as to how to test if those maps were cached right. After I followed a guide, now the display showing a portion in one kind of tiles (ordinary map), and the other part in the Satellite image tiles. Strange but for another thread though. I digress.