setting "view" option

  • kb8emd
    Message 1 of 24 , May 22, 2013
      when I run APRSIS/32 I only see my own station, in order to see "all" stations I have to manually open view and click on "all" is there a way I can set APRSIS/32 so it starts with view set to "all"?
      Tnx
      Larry KB8EMD
    • ltdoc
      Message 2 of 24 , May 22, 2013
        Click the 'All' and then shut down the program. When it's started again it should be still checked. Mine works that way, set it and forget it.
        - 'Doc

        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kb8emd" <larrylb@...> wrote:

        > when I run APRSIS/32 I only see my own station, in order to see "all" stations I have to manually open view and click on "all" is there a way I can set APRSIS/32 so it starts with view set to "all"?
        > Tnx
        > Larry KB8EMD

      • kb8emd
        Message 3 of 24 , May 22, 2013
          I have it set to view all I hit exit and restarted APRSIS/32
          it only showed my position I had to open view and click all.
          I am going off line and try again.
          KB8EMD

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "ltdoc" <ltdoc@...> wrote:

          > Click the 'All' and then shut down the program. When it's started again it should be still checked. Mine works that way, set it and forget it.
          > - 'Doc
        • kb8emd
          Message 4 of 24 , May 22, 2013
            I set it to view all used the "exit" button restarted APRSIS/32 again it needed view set to "all" I then X'ed out of the program after setting it to view all again I restarted APRSIS/32 and once more I had to set view to all it did not stay in view all.
            I will try couple times more I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong if you can get your program to work.
            Larry KB8EMD

            Message 5 of 24 , May 22, 2013
              What directory do you have APRSIS32.EXE in? It must be writeable by the
              program and not one of the "protected" directories in Windows 7 or
              later. In other words, it cannot be located under something like
              "Program Files".

              On 5/22/2013 8:43 AM, kb8emd wrote:
              > I set it to view all used the "exit" button restarted APRSIS/32 again it needed view set to "all" I then X'ed out of the program after setting it to view all again I restarted APRSIS/32 and once more I had to set view to all it did not stay in view all.
              > I will try couple times more I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong if you can get your program to work.
              > Larry KB8EMD
              >

              >> --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "ltdoc" <ltdoc@> wrote:
              >>> Click the 'All' and then shut down the program. When it's started again it should be still checked. Mine works that way, set it and forget it.
              >>> - 'Doc

            • Jeff Dugas (Mobile)
              Message 6 of 24 , May 22, 2013
                Lynn,

                I believe another option under Windows 7 is to disable User Account Control (UAC). This may allow one to install in the customary 'Program Files' directory, as was done in Windows XP.

                However, disabling UAC may not be appropriate for all users, especially those who are overly security conscious, as it is a new 'feature' introduced by Microsoft.

                Jeff
                N5TEV

                ==========
                What directory do you have APRSIS32.EXE in?  It must be writeable by the program and not one of the "protected" directories in Windows 7 or later.  In other words, it cannot be located under something like "Program Files".
              • Don Rolph
                Message 7 of 24 , May 22, 2013
                  Permanently disabling UAC is typically a bad idea from a security perspective.

                  Disabling UAC to allow an install (to let a command line script execute perhaps) is generally reasonable, but leaving it on can be risky.

                  The classic problem here is having the configuration directory in the \programs directory tree.

                  Either:

                  1) install in a directory outside of the \programs tree

                  or

                  2) change the permissions on just the directory which is storing the ocnfiguration data

                  My 20 mils worth.

                  73,
                  AB1PH
                  Don Rolph

                  On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Jeff Dugas (Mobile) <N5TEV@...> wrote:

                  Lynn,

                  I believe another option under Windows 7 is to disable User Account Control (UAC). This may allow one to install in the customary 'Program Files' directory, as was done in Windows XP.

                  However, disabling UAC may not be appropriate for all users, especially those who are overly security conscious, as it is a new 'feature' introduced by Microsoft.

                  Jeff
                  N5TEV

                  ==========

                  What directory do you have APRSIS32.EXE in?  It must be writeable by the program and not one of the "protected" directories in Windows 7 or later.  In other words, it cannot be located under something like "Program Files".

                • Ron Wenig
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 22, 2013
                    Larry,

                    I'm using Windows 7 and view was doing the same thing.  In Compatibility I checked run as administrator and now view all stays checked so it must be a Windows security thing writing to the APRSIS32 configuration file even though the APRSIS32 folder is in the root directory.

                    Ron ny3j

                    On 5/22/2013 8:43 AM, kb8emd wrote:

                    I set it to view all used the "exit" button restarted APRSIS/32 again it needed view set to "all" I then X'ed out of the program after setting it to view all again I restarted APRSIS/32 and once more I had to set view to all it did not stay in view all.
                    I will try couple times more I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong if you can get your program to work.
                    Larry KB8EMD

                    > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "ltdoc" <ltdoc@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Click the 'All' and then shut down the program. When it's started again it should be still checked. Mine works that way, set it and forget it.
                    > > - 'Doc

                  • kb8emd
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 22, 2013
                      I have the program saved to the OS C drive not in the normal program file area it is in a folder marked HAM, I do have a shortcut Icon on the desk top maybe that's the problem I'm old and not to handy doing some of the things mentioned.
                      I tried running it under administrator and compatibility mode It still needs set to all,

                      > What directory do you have APRSIS32.EXE in? It must be writeable by the
                      > program and not one of the "protected" directories in Windows 7 or
                      > later. In other words, it cannot be located under something like
                      > "Program Files".

                    • kb8emd
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 22, 2013
                        Ron
                        my file is the root directory not under programs
                        I tried right clicking running as administrator it still doesn't open with view set to all are you using a short cut icon.
                        what did you use as compatibility setting? maybe I have that wrong.
                        I hate to think if something as simple as this problem gives me so much grief what it will be like trying to get my TT4 to work.
                        I really like the program and I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong

                        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wenig <rwenig@...> wrote:

                        > Larry,
                        >
                        > I'm using Windows 7 and view was doing the same thing. In Compatibility
                        > I checked run as administrator and now view all stays checked so it must
                        > be a Windows security thing writing to the APRSIS32 configuration file
                        > even though the APRSIS32 folder is in the root directory.
                        >
                        > Ron ny3j

                      • kb8emd
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 22, 2013
                          one thing I forgot to mention I have some things set to show on the map like weather flags they always come up I just cannot get view to open showing all it always has none checked. still frustrated.

                          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kb8emd" <larrylb@...> wrote:

                          > when I run APRSIS/32 I only see my own station, in order to see "all" stations I have to manually open view and click on "all" is there a way I can set APRSIS/32 so it starts with view set to "all"?
                          > Tnx
                          > Larry KB8EMD

                        • kb8emd
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 22, 2013
                            Looking at the shortcut icon properties I could only find this---computer>OS(c:)>HAM>APRSIS32-120829>APRSIS32.EXE----

                            looking at the OS(c:) I could not find any EXE files other than
                            APRSIS32.EXE.2012208292131 When I clicked on it, it did not open windows said it didn't understand the file name. I have no clue how I even got it to run in the first place.

                            > What directory do you have APRSIS32.EXE in? It must be writeable by the
                            > program and not one of the "protected" directories in Windows 7 or
                            > later. In other words, it cannot be located under something like
                            > "Program Files".

                            > On 5/22/2013 8:43 AM, kb8emd wrote:
                            > > I set it to view all used the "exit" button restarted APRSIS/32 again it needed view set to "all" I then X'ed out of the program after setting it to view all again I restarted APRSIS/32 and once more I had to set view to all it did not stay in view all.
                            > > I will try couple times more I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong if you can get your program to work.
                            > > Larry KB8EMD

                          • kb8emd
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 22, 2013
                              when I clicked the properties menu of the short cut icon and clicked run as administrator and opened the program it showed view all, I closed the program clicked the icon to open the program again and view none was checked
                              I thought maybe it was running the shortcut as administrator and not the program I don't know what to do next.
                              thanks for every ones help I'm sure you guys get tired of all the questions
                              Larry KB8EMD

                              --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wenig <rwenig@...> wrote:

                              > Larry,
                              >
                              > I'm using Windows 7 and view was doing the same thing. In Compatibility
                              > I checked run as administrator and now view all stays checked so it must
                              > be a Windows security thing writing to the APRSIS32 configuration file
                              > even though the APRSIS32 folder is in the root directory.
                              >
                              > Ron ny3j
                              >
                              > On 5/22/2013 8:43 AM, kb8emd wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I set it to view all used the "exit" button restarted APRSIS/32 again
                              > > it needed view set to "all" I then X'ed out of the program after
                              > > setting it to view all again I restarted APRSIS/32 and once more I had
                              > > to set view to all it did not stay in view all.
                              > > I will try couple times more I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong
                              > > if you can get your program to work.
                              > > Larry KB8EMD
                              > >
                              > > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>,

                              > > again it should be still checked. Mine works that way, set it and
                              > > forget it.

                            • kb8emd
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 22, 2013
                                after many many tries it finally seeped through this thick old head
                                I went to the OS(c:) where the APRSIS32 is stored clicked on run as administrator made a NEW shortcut icon removed old shortcut icon
                                now when I open aprsis32 it shows "view all" checked I am one old happy man thanks to all for your help and suggestions don't go to far I'm sure I will need help once I get my TT4 running.
                                Larry KB8EMD

                                --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kb8emd" <larrylb@...> wrote:

                                > when I run APRSIS/32 I only see my own station, in order to see "all" stations I have to manually open view and click on "all" is there a way I can set APRSIS/32 so it starts with view set to "all"?
                                > Tnx
                                > Larry KB8EMD

                              • kb8emd
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 22, 2013
                                  DARN DARN DARN it started twice with view all checked but when I just now opened the program it was back to view none I'm really frustrated
                                  now maybe the program should come with view all check and then allow us to check view none if we want that or any of the other views.
                                  Larry
                                  --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kb8emd" <larrylb@...> wrote:

                                  > after many many tries it finally seeped through this thick old head
                                  > I went to the OS(c:) where the APRSIS32 is stored clicked on run as administrator made a NEW shortcut icon removed old shortcut icon
                                  > now when I open aprsis32 it shows "view all" checked I am one old happy man thanks to all for your help and suggestions don't go to far I'm sure I will need help once I get my TT4 running.
                                  > Larry KB8EMD
                                  >
                                  > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kb8emd" <larrylb@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > when I run APRSIS/32 I only see my own station, in order to see "all" stations I have to manually open view and click on "all" is there a way I can set APRSIS/32 so it starts with view set to "all"?
                                  > > Tnx
                                  > > Larry KB8EMD

                                • Ron Wenig
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 22, 2013
                                    Larry,

                                    I was just going to say that I checked run as administrator on the shortcut and nothing else in the compatibility tab.  Good old Windows has a mind of it's own :-)  Glad you got it working.

                                    Ron ny3j

                                    On 5/22/2013 7:45 PM, kb8emd wrote:

                                    after many many tries it finally seeped through this thick old head
                                    I went to the OS(c:) where the APRSIS32 is stored clicked on run as administrator made a NEW shortcut icon removed old shortcut icon
                                    now when I open aprsis32 it shows "view all" checked I am one old happy man thanks to all for your help and suggestions don't go to far I'm sure I will need help once I get my TT4 running.
                                    Larry KB8EMD

                                    --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kb8emd" <larrylb@...> wrote:

                                    > when I run APRSIS/32 I only see my own station, in order to see "all" stations I have to manually open view and click on "all" is there a way I can set APRSIS/32 so it starts with view set to "all"?
                                    > Tnx
                                    > Larry KB8EMD

                                  • Ron Wenig
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 22, 2013
                                      Sorry to hear that.  I think the setting is in the APRSIS32 XML file.  Maybe there is a problem with it.  I think you can delete the XML file and the program will create another one.  Be careful though because you will loose all of your settings.  Let's see if anyone else can confirm this as a possible fix.

                                      Ron ny3j

                                      On 5/22/2013 7:49 PM, kb8emd wrote:

                                      DARN DARN DARN it started twice with view all checked but when I just now opened the program it was back to view none I'm really frustrated
                                      now maybe the program should come with view all check and then allow us to check view none if we want that or any of the other views.
                                      Larry
                                      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kb8emd" <larrylb@...> wrote:

                                      > after many many tries it finally seeped through this thick old head
                                      > I went to the OS(c:) where the APRSIS32 is stored clicked on run as administrator made a NEW shortcut icon removed old shortcut icon
                                      > now when I open aprsis32 it shows "view all" checked I am one old happy man thanks to all for your help and suggestions don't go to far I'm sure I will need help once I get my TT4 running.
                                      > Larry KB8EMD
                                      >
                                      > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kb8emd" <larrylb@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > when I run APRSIS/32 I only see my own station, in order to see "all" stations I have to manually open view and click on "all" is there a way I can set APRSIS/32 so it starts with view set to "all"?
                                      > > Tnx
                                      > > Larry KB8EMD

                                    • kb8emd
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 23, 2013
                                        Ron it only worked a couple of times which is strange then it reverted back to "view None" being checked.
                                        I went to the program on OS(c:) clicked on run as administrator open the program checked "view all" closed program reopened it and it show "view all" checked, closed, open again and darn it "view none" is now checked. I wonder why all my other settings take call sign, weather flags and view all doesn't.
                                        I guess next step is to remove everything and start from scratch
                                        it works for most people maybe windows 7 is the trouble.
                                        Larry KB8EMD

                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 23, 2013
                                          This topic was covered some time ago as well. I believe the outcome was that the "view" doesn't always stick. I do know for some it isn't an issue. I also know the issue is independent of OS. Lynn has said he would look at it when he gets back to adding and editing some feature.

                                          APRSIS32 running on my WebDT is always used full screen. I have always had to do the option view, etc. Oddly enough, recently it has started up working correctly. Why? That is an exceptional question. I did do something I almost never do. I took the USB stick that APRSIS32 resides and runs from and plugged it into my desktop PC. The purpose was to run it there and get a few more tiles. I did this at max display. Ever since I put it back into the WebDT, the view has worked. Why? That is still an exceptional question. I figure it is working so if possible I will leave it alone.

                                          Work arounds for the issue is to always take application out of max screen (double tap application bar) and then shutdown. This way upon restart a simple double tap on the bar again brings it back to max screen. Or just go to options, view, etc. Either one is pretty simple.

                                          Anyway, sometimes we stumble on something that works. And that is good. :)

                                          Ron it only worked a couple of times which is strange then it reverted back to "view None" being checked.
                                          I went to the program on OS(c:) clicked on run as administrator open the program checked "view all" closed program reopened it and it show "view all" checked, closed, open again and darn it "view none" is now checked. I wonder why all my other settings take call sign, weather flags and view all doesn't.
                                          I guess next step is to remove everything and start from scratch
                                          it works for most people maybe windows 7 is the trouble.
                                          Larry KB8EMD

                                          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wenig <rwenig@...> wrote:

                                          > Larry,
                                          >
                                          > I was just going to say that I checked run as administrator on the
                                          > shortcut and nothing else in the compatibility tab. Good old Windows
                                          > has a mind of it's own :-) Glad you got it working.
                                          >
                                          > Ron ny3j
                                          >
                                          > On 5/22/2013 7:45 PM, kb8emd wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > after many many tries it finally seeped through this thick old head
                                          > > I went to the OS(c:) where the APRSIS32 is stored clicked on run as
                                          > > administrator made a NEW shortcut icon removed old shortcut icon
                                          > > now when I open aprsis32 it shows "view all" checked I am one old
                                          > > happy man thanks to all for your help and suggestions don't go to far
                                          > > I'm sure I will need help once I get my TT4 running.
                                          > > Larry KB8EMD

                                        • kb8emd
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 23, 2013
                                            You know Fred it isn't a big deal I can live with opening view and clicking all because other wise it seems to be one great program
                                            one I hope to be able to use later on when My TT4 arrives and I'm on the air full time
                                            Thanks to all for their replies if a solution comes up and I see it I may revisit the subject for now open click view all enjoy the show

                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 23, 2013
                                              There is a feature (bug) wherein the program doesn't save the current
                                              window settings if you close it while the main window is maximized. Do
                                              you run the application this way or in a sized window?

                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 23, 2013
                                                That is the bug I was hinting at below. I just do the workaround since my screen is almost always full size.

                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 23, 2013
                                                  Er, feature! ;)

                                                  That is the bug I was hinting at below. I just do the workaround since my screen is almost always full size.

                                                  There is a feature (bug) wherein the program doesn't save the current
                                                  window settings if you close it while the main window is maximized. Do
                                                  you run the application this way or in a sized window?

                                                  On 5/23/2013 3:56 PM, kb8emd wrote:
                                                  > You know Fred it isn't a big deal I can live with opening view and clicking all because other wise it seems to be one great program
                                                  > one I hope to be able to use later on when My TT4 arrives and I'm on the air full time
                                                  > Thanks to all for their replies if a solution comes up and I see it I may revisit the subject for now open click view all enjoy the show
                                                  > Larry KB8EMD
                                                  > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
                                                  >> This topic was covered some time ago as well. I believe the outcome was that
                                                  >> the "view" doesn't always stick. I do know for some it isn't an issue. I
                                                  >> also know the issue is independent of OS. Lynn has said he would look at it
                                                  >> when he gets back to adding and editing some feature.
                                                  >>
                                                  >> APRSIS32 running on my WebDT is always used full screen. I have always had
                                                  >> to do the option view, etc. Oddly enough, recently it has started up working
                                                  >> correctly. Why? That is an exceptional question. I did do something I almost
                                                  >> never do. I took the USB stick that APRSIS32 resides and runs from and
                                                  >> plugged it into my desktop PC. The purpose was to run it there and get a few
                                                  >> more tiles. I did this at max display. Ever since I put it back into the
                                                  >> WebDT, the view has worked. Why? That is still an exceptional question. I
                                                  >> figure it is working so if possible I will leave it alone.
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Work arounds for the issue is to always take application out of max screen
                                                  >> (double tap application bar) and then shutdown. This way upon restart a
                                                  >> simple double tap on the bar again brings it back to max screen. Or just go
                                                  >> to options, view, etc. Either one is pretty simple.
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Anyway, sometimes we stumble on something that works. And that is good. :)
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Best regards,
                                                  >> Fred, N7FMH

                                                • kb8emd
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , May 23, 2013
                                                    Lynn KJ4ERJ
                                                    you sir have written one great program
                                                    I tried minimizing APRSIS I exited the program and upon starting, it opened maximized with "view all" checked and displaying calls.
                                                    I did this several times with same results.
                                                    I then exited with the program maximized, upon opening "view none" was checked and no calls except mine was displayed.
                                                    so it's either minimized before exiting or exit and check "view all" upon opening.
                                                    I'm sure you have more pressing things to do concerning this great
                                                    program than trying to find a bug that is easy to work around.
                                                    thanks
                                                    Larry KB8EMD