RE: [aprsisce] Re: Feature Request - Terminal Screen

    Message 1 of 16 , May 21, 2013

      I would guess Lynn ’s terminal would do the same, that is you would see the APRS packets, but the APRS part of the software would not process. Bit of nightmare to parse the APRS data out of all the control info will remoting

      Steve Daniels

      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

      Message 2 of 16 , May 21, 2013
        For what it is worth (And Im not following thsi thread).

        The APRSdos raw packet monitor displayed all incoming packets raw, but drew a different color box around the text depending on whether it was a position, object, message, weather, query, status, bulletin or whatever.

        Made for an easy onitor without looking too closely, but then if something caught your eye, you could look closer...

        Bob, WB4APR

        Message 3 of 16 , May 22, 2013

          I need to do the following possibly a bit much asking for connected mode to be supported, have no idea how much work it is.

          Any one know of any software that will connect to a KISS only TNC and give me the ability to do the following. Bassically I need connected mode using only a KISS TNC

          x-digi remote config

          As of version 2.0 of the X-Digi firmware, it is possible to change the parameters of X-Digi remotely. Doing so requires a

          5 letter password. All X-Digi parameters except the password are remotely configurable. In order to use the

          remote sysop feature, you must first set a remote password using the configuration procedure described above. The

          password must have exactly 5 characters and is case sensitive. To disable the remote sysop feature, set the

          password to five spaces.

          When you boot up X-Digi, it will wait 20 seconds for a command to reconfigure before it starts up. When the 20 secon

          d timer has expired, XDigi will send the text in the first beacon to let you know it is in digipeter mode (and is

          available to be remote sysop-ed. To reconfigure X-Digi remotely, change the UNPROTO

          parameter in your remote TNC to specify the callsign that is configured in X-Digi. So, for example, if the X-

          Digi callsign is UR0CAL you could set up UNPROTO asfollows: UNPROTO UR0CAL

          After you have changed the UNPROTO parameter, go into converse mode (with a k on most TNC’s) and hit the return key. This wi

          ll send an empty packet out using the UNPROTO path. When X-Digi hears your t

            Message 5 of 16 , May 23, 2013

              I don’t know how many others need something similar for remote config of digipeaters.

              As usual I added it to the list of things todo merely for consideration. I could ask the X-digi designer but I doubt they have put connected mode in merely for config

              So what you say would probably work for me

              It will be done by the weekend right? J

              Steve Daniels

              Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

              Torbay Freecycle  Owner

              You mean there's a "to do" list I can read? (Other than the one my wife has for me when I get home from work?)  And I understand about the parsing thing - I don't think UIVIEW does that either, but one can read the content of the packets being received with in terminal mode and hence know that "Box Y" is still beaconing while you're working on "Box X".  I should have been more precise.

              Thanks again,

              Ralph - W6CSP

              --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com , "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" wrote:

              > Have you browsed the ToDo list? You can find it at the end of the
              > release notes at
              >
              > http://aprsisce.wdfiles.com/local--files/downloads/20120829-APRSISCE-Notes.txt
              >
              > It includes the one-line entry:
              >
              > > Dumb terminal emulator (Craig KI6WLP) (Nigel G8IFF)
              >
              > But when I do implement the terminal mode, you'll still lose any APRS
              > packets that might be received as I plan to give full control of the TNC
              > interface over to the terminal emulator. I'm not about to try to parse
              > out the characters echoed from the TNC from within APRS packets that
              > might be received. I also plan to execute the Close and Open commands
              > when the terminal mode is entered and exited so that you're not dropped
              > into a TNC that's already in KISS mode. It will also allow APRSISCE/32
              > to know that the TNC has been fully initialized as per the port
              > configuration when exiting terminal mode.
              >
              > Oh, and Bob's station highlight colors are also already on the toDo list!

              > On 5/21/2013 5:34 PM, w6csp_1 wrote:
              > >

              > > Development Team,
              > >
              > > One of the features of UIView that I would love to see implemented
              > > into APRSIS is a fully functional terminal mode screen when connected
              > > to a TNC. At OCRACES, I am responsible for our cache of APRS tracker
              > > boxes, all of which use either a KPC3 or KPC3+. The reason for this
              > > is since we can reprogram the KPC over the air, we can treat these
              > > boxes as "remote transceivers" and not have to worry about whether a
              > > ham is at the control point or not.
              > >
              > > Hav ing the "Terminal Screen" built into the APRS application saves us
              > > the time of closing the APRS app/port on the monitoring PC, opening
              > > terminal software and connecting to the TNC and then reversing that
              > > process to go back to APRS monitoring. Being able to pull up a
              > > terminal screen directly in the APRS app also means we don't lose any
              > > data packets that are received while we are in the terminal screen.
              > >
              > > Thank you in adavnce,
              > >
              > > Ralph (W6CSP)

            • Colin XSD
              Message 6 of 16 , May 23, 2013
                On 23/05/2013 13:50, Steve Daniels wrote:
                It will be done by the weekend right?
                Almost certainly but which one is uncertain:)

                73,Colin M0XSD.
                Message 7 of 16 , May 23, 2013
                  Some time last year I started looking into what it would take to remote reconfigure a KPC3+. I never quite found an answer unless I had a second KPC3. I do not. I keep thinking I need to get back on this.

                  You mean there's a "to do" list I can read? (Other than the one my wife has for me when I get home from work?)  And I understand about the parsing thing - I don't think UIVIEW does that either, but one can read the content of the packets being received with in terminal mode and hence know that "Box Y" is still beaconing while you're working on "Box X".  I should have been more precise.

                  Thanks again,

                  Ralph - W6CSP

                  --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com , "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" wrote:

                  > Have you browsed the ToDo list? You can find it at the end of the
                  > release notes at
                  >
                  > http://aprsisce.wdfiles.com/local--files/downloads/20120829-APRSISCE-Notes.txt
                  >
                  > It includes the one-line entry:
                  >
                  > > Dumb terminal emulator (Craig KI6WLP) (Nigel G8IFF)
                  >
                  > But when I do implement the terminal mode, you'll still lose any APRS
                  > packets that might be received as I plan to give full control of the TNC
                  > interface over to the terminal emulator. I'm not about to try to parse
                  > out the characters echoed from the TNC from within APRS packets that
                  > might be received. I also plan to execute the Close and Open commands
                  > when the terminal mode is entered and exited so that you're not dropped
                  > into a TNC that's already in KISS mode. It will also allow APRSISCE/32
                  > to know that the TNC has been fully initialized as per the port
                  > configuration when exiting terminal mode.
                  >
                  > Oh, and Bob's station highlight colors are also already on the toDo list!

                  > On 5/21/2013 5:34 PM, w6csp_1 wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Development Team,
                  > >
                  > > One of the features of UIView that I would love to see implemented
                  > > into APRSIS is a fully functional terminal mode screen when connected
                  > > to a TNC. At OCRACES, I am responsible for our cache of APRS tracker
                  > > boxes, all of which use either a KPC3 or KPC3+. The reason for this
                  > > is since we can reprogram the KPC over the air, we can treat these
                  > > boxes as "remote transceivers" and not have to worry about whether a
                  > > ham is at the control point or not.
                  > >
                  > > Hav ing the "Terminal Screen" built into the APRS application saves us
                  > > the time of closing the APRS app/port on the monitoring PC, opening
                  > > terminal software and connecting to the TNC and then reversing that
                  > > process to go back to APRS monitoring. Being able to pull up a
                  > > terminal screen directly in the APRS app also means we don't lose any
                  > > data packets that are received while we are in the terminal screen.
                  > >
                  > > Thank you in adavnce,
                  > >
                  > > Ralph (W6CSP)

                • Bob Harris
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 23, 2013
                    Fred,

                    I think you are correct: A KPC3+ (or KPC3) requires another KPC3+ (or KPC3) to access it for remote reconfiguration.

                    The Argent OT series can be reconfigured using messages as long as the call sign of the station attempting reconfiguration is in the target's Access List.

                    The Byonics TinyTrak 4 cannot be reconfigured remotely in so far as I know.

                    On 5/23/2013 9:57 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

                    Some time last year I started looking into what it would take to remote reconfigure a KPC3+. I never quite found an answer unless I had a second KPC3. I do not. I keep thinking I need to get back on this.

                    BobHarris (K9UDX)
                    Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD
                    Bath, NH

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 23, 2013

                      I think it would be a useful thing for Lynn to know. If Lynn is going to code something like this it might as well cover as much as possibly.

                      Not sure how many different digipeater hardware have a remote config mode.

                      A list of them and what they expect would be a great help

                      So we have a KPC3+ and an X-Digi

                      There is a uSmartDigi that does D-Star or APRS serial config requires the following, not sure on remote config.

                      Connect an ASCII Terminal, PC or laptop serial cable using HyperTerminal or similar interactive device to test and

                      configure μSmartDigi. Make sure your terminal or terminal emulator is ready and set it to 19200 baud, 8 bits, no

                      parity and 1 stop bit (8N1), Send line ends with LF (nl), Local Echo, No Flow Control. This terminal will be

                      referred to as the μSmartDigi Monitor. You can alsouse the PC Utility to perform a serial port test

                      Steve Daniels

                      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                      Some time last year I started looking into what it would take to remote reconfigure a KPC3+. I never quite found an answer unless I had a second KPC3. I do not. I keep thinking I need to get back on this.

                      I don’t know how many others need something similar for remote config of digipeaters.

                      As usual I added it to the list of things todo merely for consideration. I could ask the X-digi designer but I doubt they have put connected mode in merely for config

                      So what you say would probably work for me

                      It will be done by the weekend right? J

                      Steve Daniels

                      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                      size=2 width="100%" align=center tabIndex=-1>

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 23, 2013
                        Thinking about the era when packet was more common, I suspect there are other TNCs capable because you have to connect. So I think I can run an application capable of connecting through a KISS TNC (my OT2/3) but I haven't got to a point of being able to test it. I seem to remember finding an app for that but don't really remember.

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 23, 2013
                          A KPC3 doesn't need another KPC3 to control it remotely. It just needs to be attached to another TNC in connected mode. I control a couple of other KPC3+ aprs digi's around here, and the remote mode is dependent on being linked up to it via the remote callsign in connected mode. I do that by parking on a hill where I have a straight shot to the digi and using the regular TNC mode of my D710. I issue a regular connect command C DIGI1R then, after answering it password hash, I get direct access to all the commands on the TNC as if it were connected to me via a serial port.

                          So, No, you don't need another KPC3 to remotely administer another KPC3 that has been set up for remote control, but you do have to access it in Connected mode to get the password hash to get into it for control.

                          The only program I know that allows for connected mode operation of KISS tnc's is the AGWTerminal using AGWPacketEngine as the interface between the prog and the tnc. Unfortunately, some KISS capable tnc's ( the Argent Data line, for example ) don't handle the connected mode packets properly. So even tho you sent a properly formed connect packet from AGWTerminal, the OT2/3/USB doesn't pass non UI packets back to the software to handle your connect request. whoops...

                          73,
                          Randy
                          WF5X

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 23, 2013

                            Sadly AGW refuses to work on my PC. It’s pretty much the only program that I have not got working. I only have KISS mode TNC’s at present.

                            I did think that some TNC’s that could do packet and APRS would perhaps used connected mode for config.

                            Connected mode within APRSIS32 would perhaps be a bit much to ask of Lynn . But I guess would be handy for those that remote, rather another TNC.

                            Lynn has a todo list and I expect this sort of thing to be down the list if it happens at all

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 24, 2013
                              Randy you reminded me of the reason I stopped progress. It is unfortunate! I only have an OT collection.

                              Hmm, I wonder if I get the Direwolf Raspberry Pi TNC running if it will be possible.