Re: KPC3+ Problems

  • w6csp_1
    Message 1 of 12 , May 21, 2013

      Thank you Ron,

      A couple of questions 'cuz some of this is still Greek to me..

      What is the function of "<OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>" and "!!0" after each of the the last four commands?

      Also, is there a particular reason to use "<CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>; <CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!!0</CloseCmd>" instead of just reversing the last two open commands? is "<CloseCmd>INT TERM!!0</CloseCmd>; <CloseCmd>RESET!!0</CloseCmd>"

      Thanks again in advance & 73,

      Ralph - W6CSP

      Message 2 of 12 , May 21, 2013
        On 5/21/2013 6:29 PM, w6csp_1 wrote:
        What is the function of "<OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>" and "!!0" after each of the the last four commands?

        The ^M! will transmit a carriage return (Control-M, ASCII 13), suppressing the default <CR> command terminator (indicated by the ~) and will wait for the default cmd: response.

        The !!0 in a way of specifying that no response should be checked for and to wait zero seconds for that non-response.

        The full format of an <Open/CloseCmd> is:

        Output!Response!Timeout!Text

        where the default expected response is cmd: and the default timeout is 1 second and Text may be used in the future.  You'll find this described at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:openclosecmd

        Also, is there a particular reason to use "<CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>; <CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!!0</CloseCmd>" instead of just reversing the last two open commands? is "<CloseCmd>INT TERM!!0</CloseCmd>; <CloseCmd>RESET!!0</CloseCmd>"

        Typically once a TNC is in KISS mode, it will ignore normal text and can only be broken out of KISS with special characters.  The 192/255/192 sequence is one exit KISS command and some TNCs want three rapid-fire Control-Cs.  In this case, apparently you're firing both for redundancy.  But it's quite likely that the TNC would just ignore an "INT TERM" while in KISS mode.

      • w6csp_1
        Message 3 of 12 , May 21, 2013

          Thank you.

          I do recall reading about this when I was going over the documentation to try and determine how to set up the KPC3, but I guess it didn't sink in well enough.

          By the way, are there any issues with having both a RF and IP port open at the same time?  I noticed the thread earlier today about two RF ports being open in the same instance of APRSIS can have issues.

          Thanks again,

          Ralph - W6CSP

          Message 4 of 12 , May 21, 2013
            On 5/21/2013 7:41 PM, w6csp_1 wrote:
            By the way, are there any issues with having both a RF and IP port open at the same time?  I noticed the thread earlier today about two RF ports being open in the same instance of APRSIS can have issues.

            An APRSISCE/32 instance with both an RF and and -IS port active is the definition of an IGate.  By all means, there's no issues with that configuration!

          • Kevin Bosworth
            Message 5 of 12 , May 23, 2013
              The settings for the KPC-3 are on the Aprsisce Wiki page.

              Why are you doing Ui-View and Aprsisce at the same time? Or are you just switching between the two. Just dump Ui-View and go full on Aprsisce.

              Kevin
              W7BOZ

              Amateur Radio Operator - W7BOZ

              APRS - http://aprs.fi/?call=w7boz

              Web Site - http://www.qsl.net/w7boz

              CCARES - Cache County Amateur Radio Emergency Services

              Repeater 449.300- 103.5 - IRLP-7576 - Echolink-558836

              http://stn7576.ip.irlp.net:15426/w7boz/index9.html

              Yahoo Group Owner of Electronics_Wanted

              Yahoo Group Owner of Cache Amateur Digital Society
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CacheAmateurDigitalSociety/

              Kevin Bosworth - w7boz@...