Re: KPC3+ Problems

  • w6csp_1
    Message 1 of 12 , May 21, 2013

      Thanks all,

      I will experiment again this evening.  I am guessing that I should put the "RESET" command at the end of my various <opencmd> strings to avoid losing any during the reset cycle?

      I'll figure this out yet...

      73,

      Ralph

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" wrote:

      > Ralph W6SCP wrote...
      >
      > > Does the KPC have a non-standard KISS mode?
      > >
      > > One of the open commands I have is "INT KISS" and the output
      > > in the log shows the TNC is accepting the command (returning
      > > something like "INT KISS INT WAS TERM"
      >
      > After the INTERFACE KISS it will want a RESET as a separate
      > command before it actually goes into KISS mode.
      >
      > I usually have CD SOFT so the radio can run with the squelch
      > wide open. I happened to be trying something with RMS Express
      > this morning. I couldn't get it to transmit. I later opened the squelch
      > on the radio and away it went. The TNC wasn't in KISS mode,
      > but if you use CD SOFT and it won't transmit, try opening the
      > squelch.
      >
      > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      > www.ui-view.org
      > --

    • Ron Wenig
      Message 2 of 12 , May 21, 2013
        Ralph,

        With my KPC3+ I had to manually edit the APRSIS32 XML file with the following commands.

        <!--RFPort[0]-->
        <RFPort Name="KPC3+">
        <Protocol>KISS</Protocol>
        <Device>COM4:9600,N,8,1</Device>
        <RfBaud>1200</RfBaud>
        <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
        <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
        <OpenCmd>XFLOW OFF</OpenCmd>
        <OpenCmd>FULLDUP OFF</OpenCmd>
        <OpenCmd>CD SOFTWARE</OpenCmd>
        <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
        <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
        <OpenCmd>XFLOW ON!!0</OpenCmd>
        <OpenCmd>FULLDUP OFF!!0</OpenCmd>
        <OpenCmd>INT KISS!!0</OpenCmd>
        <OpenCmd>RESET!!0</OpenCmd>
        <CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>
        <CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!!0</CloseCmd>

        You can see the INT KISS and RESET commands to put the KPC3+ in kiss mode.  The next line takes it out of kiss mode when you end the program.  Hope this helps.

        73, Ron ny3j

        On 5/21/2013 5:04 PM, w6csp_1 wrote:

        Thanks all,

        I will experiment again this evening.  I am guessing that I should put the "RESET" command at the end of my various <opencmd> strings to avoid losing any during the reset cycle?

        I'll figure this out yet...

        73,

        Ralph
        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" wrote:

        > Ralph W6SCP wrote...
        >
        > > Does the KPC have a non-standard KISS mode?
        > >
        > > One of the open commands I have is "INT KISS" and the output
        > > in the log shows the TNC is accepting the command (returning
        > > something like "INT KISS INT WAS TERM"
        >
        > After the INTERFACE KISS it will want a RESET as a separate
        > command before it actually goes into KISS mode.
        >
        > I usually have CD SOFT so the radio can run with the squelch
        > wide open. I happened to be trying something with RMS Express
        > this morning. I couldn't get it to transmit. I later opened the squelch
        > on the radio and away it went. The TNC wasn't in KISS mode,
        > but if you use CD SOFT and it won't transmit, try opening the
        > squelch.
        >
        > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        > www.ui-view.org
        > --

      • w6csp_1
        Message 3 of 12 , May 21, 2013

          Thank you Ron,

          A couple of questions 'cuz some of this is still Greek to me..

          What is the function of "<OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>" and "!!0" after each of the the last four commands?

          Also, is there a particular reason to use "<CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>; <CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!!0</CloseCmd>" instead of just reversing the last two open commands? is "<CloseCmd>INT TERM!!0</CloseCmd>; <CloseCmd>RESET!!0</CloseCmd>"

          Thanks again in advance & 73,

          Ralph - W6CSP

          Message 4 of 12 , May 21, 2013
            On 5/21/2013 6:29 PM, w6csp_1 wrote:
            What is the function of "<OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>" and "!!0" after each of the the last four commands?

            The ^M! will transmit a carriage return (Control-M, ASCII 13), suppressing the default <CR> command terminator (indicated by the ~) and will wait for the default cmd: response.

            The !!0 in a way of specifying that no response should be checked for and to wait zero seconds for that non-response.

            The full format of an <Open/CloseCmd> is:

            Output!Response!Timeout!Text

            where the default expected response is cmd: and the default timeout is 1 second and Text may be used in the future.  You'll find this described at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:openclosecmd

            Also, is there a particular reason to use "<CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>; <CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!!0</CloseCmd>" instead of just reversing the last two open commands? is "<CloseCmd>INT TERM!!0</CloseCmd>; <CloseCmd>RESET!!0</CloseCmd>"

            Typically once a TNC is in KISS mode, it will ignore normal text and can only be broken out of KISS with special characters.  The 192/255/192 sequence is one exit KISS command and some TNCs want three rapid-fire Control-Cs.  In this case, apparently you're firing both for redundancy.  But it's quite likely that the TNC would just ignore an "INT TERM" while in KISS mode.

          • w6csp_1
            Message 5 of 12 , May 21, 2013

              Thank you.

              I do recall reading about this when I was going over the documentation to try and determine how to set up the KPC3, but I guess it didn't sink in well enough.

              By the way, are there any issues with having both a RF and IP port open at the same time?  I noticed the thread earlier today about two RF ports being open in the same instance of APRSIS can have issues.

              Thanks again,

              Ralph - W6CSP

              Message 6 of 12 , May 21, 2013
                On 5/21/2013 7:41 PM, w6csp_1 wrote:
                By the way, are there any issues with having both a RF and IP port open at the same time?  I noticed the thread earlier today about two RF ports being open in the same instance of APRSIS can have issues.

                An APRSISCE/32 instance with both an RF and and -IS port active is the definition of an IGate.  By all means, there's no issues with that configuration!

              • Kevin Bosworth
                Message 7 of 12 , May 23, 2013
                  The settings for the KPC-3 are on the Aprsisce Wiki page.

                  Why are you doing Ui-View and Aprsisce at the same time? Or are you just switching between the two. Just dump Ui-View and go full on Aprsisce.

                  Kevin
                  W7BOZ

                  Amateur Radio Operator - W7BOZ

                  APRS - http://aprs.fi/?call=w7boz

                  Web Site - http://www.qsl.net/w7boz

                  CCARES - Cache County Amateur Radio Emergency Services

                  Repeater 449.300- 103.5 - IRLP-7576 - Echolink-558836

                  http://stn7576.ip.irlp.net:15426/w7boz/index9.html

                  Yahoo Group Owner of Electronics_Wanted

                  Yahoo Group Owner of Cache Amateur Digital Society
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CacheAmateurDigitalSociety/

                  Kevin Bosworth - w7boz@...