Re: [aprsisce] Re: KPC3+ Problems

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 12 , May 21, 2013
      Ralph W6SCP wrote...

      > Does the KPC have a non-standard KISS mode?
      >
      > One of the open commands I have is "INT KISS" and the output
      > in the log shows the TNC is accepting the command (returning
      > something like "INT KISS INT WAS TERM"

      After the INTERFACE KISS it will want a RESET as a separate
      command before it actually goes into KISS mode.

      I usually have CD SOFT so the radio can run with the squelch
      wide open. I happened to be trying something with RMS Express
      this morning. I couldn't get it to transmit. I later opened the squelch
      on the radio and away it went. The TNC wasn't in KISS mode,
      but if you use CD SOFT and it won't transmit, try opening the
      squelch.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      www.ui-view.org
    • Mike Miller

        --Message-Boundary-1845
        INT KISS
        RESET

        Should put it in KISS mode.

        Mike kc9doa

        On 21 May 2013 at 18:46, w6csp_1 wrote:

        Does the KPC have a non-standard KISS mode?

        One of the open commands I have is "INT KISS" and the output in
        the log shows the TNC is accepting the command (returning
        something like "INT KISS INT WAS TERM"

        So to the best of my knowledge it's in the correct mode.

        Also - could the 'paclen' setting having anything to do with
        this? I noticed in the log that one of the protocols is set for
        a paclen of 64, but I usually keep my tnc's set to 250. Are the
        protocol features in the xml file somewhere such that they can
        be tweaked?

        Thanks again,

        Ralph

        --Message-Boundary-1845--
      • w6csp_1
        Message 3 of 12 , May 21, 2013

          Thanks all,

          I will experiment again this evening.  I am guessing that I should put the "RESET" command at the end of my various <opencmd> strings to avoid losing any during the reset cycle?

          I'll figure this out yet...

          73,

          Ralph

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" wrote:

          > Ralph W6SCP wrote...
          >
          > > Does the KPC have a non-standard KISS mode?
          > >
          > > One of the open commands I have is "INT KISS" and the output
          > > in the log shows the TNC is accepting the command (returning
          > > something like "INT KISS INT WAS TERM"
          >
          > After the INTERFACE KISS it will want a RESET as a separate
          > command before it actually goes into KISS mode.
          >
          > I usually have CD SOFT so the radio can run with the squelch
          > wide open. I happened to be trying something with RMS Express
          > this morning. I couldn't get it to transmit. I later opened the squelch
          > on the radio and away it went. The TNC wasn't in KISS mode,
          > but if you use CD SOFT and it won't transmit, try opening the
          > squelch.
          >
          > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          > www.ui-view.org
          > --

        • Ron Wenig
          Message 4 of 12 , May 21, 2013
            Ralph,

            With my KPC3+ I had to manually edit the APRSIS32 XML file with the following commands.

            <!--RFPort[0]-->
            <RFPort Name="KPC3+">
            <Protocol>KISS</Protocol>
            <Device>COM4:9600,N,8,1</Device>
            <RfBaud>1200</RfBaud>
            <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>XFLOW OFF</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>FULLDUP OFF</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>CD SOFTWARE</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>XFLOW ON!!0</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>FULLDUP OFF!!0</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>INT KISS!!0</OpenCmd>
            <OpenCmd>RESET!!0</OpenCmd>
            <CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>
            <CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!!0</CloseCmd>

            You can see the INT KISS and RESET commands to put the KPC3+ in kiss mode.  The next line takes it out of kiss mode when you end the program.  Hope this helps.

            73, Ron ny3j

            On 5/21/2013 5:04 PM, w6csp_1 wrote:

            Thanks all,

            I will experiment again this evening.  I am guessing that I should put the "RESET" command at the end of my various <opencmd> strings to avoid losing any during the reset cycle?

            I'll figure this out yet...

            73,

            Ralph
            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" wrote:

            > Ralph W6SCP wrote...
            >
            > > Does the KPC have a non-standard KISS mode?
            > >
            > > One of the open commands I have is "INT KISS" and the output
            > > in the log shows the TNC is accepting the command (returning
            > > something like "INT KISS INT WAS TERM"
            >
            > After the INTERFACE KISS it will want a RESET as a separate
            > command before it actually goes into KISS mode.
            >
            > I usually have CD SOFT so the radio can run with the squelch
            > wide open. I happened to be trying something with RMS Express
            > this morning. I couldn't get it to transmit. I later opened the squelch
            > on the radio and away it went. The TNC wasn't in KISS mode,
            > but if you use CD SOFT and it won't transmit, try opening the
            > squelch.
            >
            > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            > www.ui-view.org
            > --

          • w6csp_1
            Message 5 of 12 , May 21, 2013

              Thank you Ron,

              A couple of questions 'cuz some of this is still Greek to me..

              What is the function of "<OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>" and "!!0" after each of the the last four commands?

              Also, is there a particular reason to use "<CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>; <CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!!0</CloseCmd>" instead of just reversing the last two open commands? is "<CloseCmd>INT TERM!!0</CloseCmd>; <CloseCmd>RESET!!0</CloseCmd>"

              Thanks again in advance & 73,

              Ralph - W6CSP

              Message 6 of 12 , May 21, 2013
                On 5/21/2013 6:29 PM, w6csp_1 wrote:
                What is the function of "<OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>" and "!!0" after each of the the last four commands?

                The ^M! will transmit a carriage return (Control-M, ASCII 13), suppressing the default <CR> command terminator (indicated by the ~) and will wait for the default cmd: response.

                The !!0 in a way of specifying that no response should be checked for and to wait zero seconds for that non-response.

                The full format of an <Open/CloseCmd> is:

                Output!Response!Timeout!Text

                where the default expected response is cmd: and the default timeout is 1 second and Text may be used in the future.  You'll find this described at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:openclosecmd

                Also, is there a particular reason to use "<CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>; <CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!!0</CloseCmd>" instead of just reversing the last two open commands? is "<CloseCmd>INT TERM!!0</CloseCmd>; <CloseCmd>RESET!!0</CloseCmd>"

                Typically once a TNC is in KISS mode, it will ignore normal text and can only be broken out of KISS with special characters.  The 192/255/192 sequence is one exit KISS command and some TNCs want three rapid-fire Control-Cs.  In this case, apparently you're firing both for redundancy.  But it's quite likely that the TNC would just ignore an "INT TERM" while in KISS mode.

              • w6csp_1
                Message 7 of 12 , May 21, 2013

                  Thank you.

                  I do recall reading about this when I was going over the documentation to try and determine how to set up the KPC3, but I guess it didn't sink in well enough.

                  By the way, are there any issues with having both a RF and IP port open at the same time?  I noticed the thread earlier today about two RF ports being open in the same instance of APRSIS can have issues.

                  Thanks again,

                  Ralph - W6CSP

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 21, 2013
                    On 5/21/2013 7:41 PM, w6csp_1 wrote:
                    By the way, are there any issues with having both a RF and IP port open at the same time?  I noticed the thread earlier today about two RF ports being open in the same instance of APRSIS can have issues.

                    An APRSISCE/32 instance with both an RF and and -IS port active is the definition of an IGate.  By all means, there's no issues with that configuration!

                  • Kevin Bosworth
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 23, 2013
                      The settings for the KPC-3 are on the Aprsisce Wiki page.

                      Why are you doing Ui-View and Aprsisce at the same time? Or are you just switching between the two. Just dump Ui-View and go full on Aprsisce.

                      Kevin
                      W7BOZ

                      Amateur Radio Operator - W7BOZ

                      APRS - http://aprs.fi/?call=w7boz

                      Web Site - http://www.qsl.net/w7boz

                      CCARES - Cache County Amateur Radio Emergency Services

                      Repeater 449.300- 103.5 - IRLP-7576 - Echolink-558836

                      http://stn7576.ip.irlp.net:15426/w7boz/index9.html

                      Yahoo Group Owner of Electronics_Wanted

                      Yahoo Group Owner of Cache Amateur Digital Society
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CacheAmateurDigitalSociety/

                      Kevin Bosworth - w7boz@...