RE: [aprsisce] Feature Request - Weather Radar Overlay

    Message 1 of 11 , May 21, 2013
      This is a tile of NWS radar as opposed to the satellite with precip.

      Again, notice the time stamp.

      Probably more than most wanted to know! :)

      Message 2 of 11 , May 21, 2013
        That "DeadReckon" in the lower right corner is the effect of Configure / Screen / Date/Time / Performance being checked which cause the timestamp field to display internal diagnostic information about why the screen is repainting.  I'm still needing to do some optimization in that area before I can even consider doing transparent overlays on the map.  Currently screen painting chews up copious amounts of CPU which is an impact on tablets as well as cellphone batteries.

        As for the storms that are moving, those should be present if you receive an NWS packet that actually includes course and speed information along with the highlight coordinates.

        On 5/21/2013 3:02 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
        How come you get DeadReckon is your lower corner and I don't? I have it on.

        "But I do have future plans to support transparent tile-based overlays." Sweet!

        Message 3 of 11 , May 21, 2013
          Ah, I haven't messed with that option.

          Except for WX, I would rather make one tile out of the various overlays. For instance, I believe the three that make up the USW or CO tiles are best as a single tile for space reasons. I think I used Mobile Atlas Creator to do that. I'd have to go back and look. I do remember that whatever I used wasn't necessarily friendly.

          For the environment short on CPU cycles, the tiles could be made into one, even if they are WX tiles. Make the tiles then replace them with new ones when necessary. In theory that would save on painting supplies. I played around with that myself but I had to change tile set, zoom in/out, then change back to the tile set and dance around the mulberry bush to clear the tile cache when I wanted to see updates. Okay maybe it wasn't that drastic. :) A refresh tile cache timer would work for me. Of course I am working on a under worked CPU even when I am doing 3D modeling.

          I do see the same shapes as below! That is still a great feature!