Feature Request - Weather Radar Overlay

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 11 , May 21 9:43 AM
      Lynn, et al;

      It would be great if APRSIS offered a way to put a weather radar overlay on the APRS map.

      From my perspective as an EM-COMM officer for our County's RACES organization, it is important to know where hail cores or other severe weather phenomena are occurring in relation to my spotters are(most have APRS in their vehicles). If it is apparent, comparing the radar image overlay to the spotter's APRS Map position, that a dangerous storm condition (hail, high wind, or tornado) will affect their location directly, we will have the ability to pro-actively alert and move that spotter to a safer location.

      Many of the bike rides, walks, and marathons supporting the many different charitable organizations that we, Amateur Radio Operators provide communication support for, would also find this feature a God-send. Especially on events that span 150 miles or more. We use APRS (Tinytrak Big Red Bee) as tool to track the locations of lead & last runners, medical units, Event Coordinator, etc. In this case, with the use of a RADAR overlay, the safety of many thousands of citizens who are participating in these events could be moved off the route to relative safety.

      What do you folks think?
      Message 2 of 11 , May 21 10:19 AM
        Hopefully someday!

        There are two tile sets that could work. One would be relatively straight forward, the other and best, has a time stamp. In theory, it would be straight forward as well. But what do I know?

        Message 3 of 11 , May 21 10:21 AM
          IMHO that would be great, question is, where would the data come from? And how would it get to aprsisce/32.

          Lynn does support NWS warnings on the map, while not a radar, it is still useful.

          Aprsisce.wikidor.com/doc:shapefiles

          FWIW we've got a couple in my area this afternoon.

          Adam
          KC2ANT

          It would be great if APRSIS offered a way to put a weather radar overlay on the APRS map.

          From my perspective as an EM-COMM officer for our County's RACES organization, it is important to know where hail cores or other severe weather phenomena are occurring in relation to my spotters are(most have APRS in their vehicles). If it is apparent, comparing the radar image overlay to the spotter's APRS Map position, that a dangerous storm condition (hail, high wind, or tornado) will affect their location directly, we will have the ability to pro-actively alert and move that spotter to a safer location.

          Many of the bike rides, walks, and marathons supporting the many different charitable organizations that we, Amateur Radio Operators provide communication support for, would also find this feature a God-send. Especially on events that span 150 miles or more. We use APRS (Tinytrak Big Red Bee) as tool to track the locations of lead & last runners, medical units, Event Coordinator, etc. In this case, with the use of a RADAR overlay, the safety of many thousands of citizens who are participating in these events could be moved off the route to relative safety.

          What do you folks think?

        • Adam Mahnke
          Message 4 of 11 , May 21 10:23 AM
            Darn smart phone keyboard.

            try that instead.

            Adam
            KC2ANT

            PS

            Although APRSIS32 shows a nice yellow polygon :)

            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

            It would be great if APRSIS offered a way to put a weather radar overlay on the APRS map.

            From my perspective as an EM-COMM officer for our County's RACES organization, it is important to know where hail cores or other severe weather phenomena are occurring in relation to my spotters are(most have APRS in their vehicles). If it is apparent, comparing the radar image overlay to the spotter's APRS Map position, that a dangerous storm condition (hail, high wind, or tornado) will affect their location directly, we will have the ability to pro-actively alert and move that spotter to a safer location.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 21 11:31 AM
              From the internet of course! ;)

              There are WX tiles. There was a set from Iowa Univ but they seem to be gone now and there is a set from the NWS.

              and

              If you look closely, inside the link is a timestamp. If it hasn't changed, the tiles are refreshed every 5 minutes.

              This is a small screenshot of the first link:

              It would be great if APRSIS offered a way to put a weather radar overlay on the APRS map.

              From my perspective as an EM-COMM officer for our County's RACES organization, it is important to know where hail cores or other severe weather phenomena are occurring in relation to my spotters are(most have APRS in their vehicles). If it is apparent, comparing the radar image overlay to the spotter's APRS Map position, that a dangerous storm condition (hail, high wind, or tornado) will affect their location directly, we will have the ability to pro-actively alert and move that spotter to a safer location.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 21 11:52 AM
                  Sorry, I lied. Iowa is still up!

                  Check out these setting for APRSIS32:
                  Server: mesonet.agron.iastate.edu
                  Port: 80
                  URLPrefix: /cache/tile.py/1.0.0/nexrad-n0r-900913/
                  PurgeEnabled>1</PurgeEnabled>
                  MinServerZoom>6
                  MaxServerZoom>10

                  Every time you decide to look at the WX radar, You will need to flush the tiles. Ideally, they wouldn't be cached except for the time until a new set is fetched.

                  The tiles are transparent. Which means another tile can be used as a base layer and be seen under it. JPGs are never transparent. PNGs can be. To use this, there could be a transparency setting added. A transparency setting is useful for the NWS set as well. By the way, the picture below from NWS was Satellite with Radar Precip checked. There are other options but this is the one I look at usually when I open that webpage.

                  In a way, these WX radar overlays are not really necessary. If you can download them, you have internet, which means it might be more prudent to actually have the NWS page running as well as APRSIS32. Both options are my favorite! :)

                  In the center of this mess is an ANT!

                  It would be great if APRSIS offered a way to put a weather radar overlay on the APRS map.

                  From my perspective as an EM-COMM officer for our County's RACES organization, it is important to know where hail cores or other severe weather phenomena are occurring in relation to my spotters are(most have APRS in their vehicles). If it is apparent, comparing the radar image overlay to the spotter's APRS Map position, that a dangerous storm condition (hail, high wind, or tornado) will affect their location directly, we will have the ability to pro-actively alert and move that spotter to a safer location.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 21 12:02 PM
                    How come you get DeadReckon is your lower corner and I don't? I have it on.

                    "But I do have future plans to support transparent tile-based overlays." Sweet!

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 21 12:09 PM
                      This is a tile of NWS radar as opposed to the satellite with precip.

                      Again, notice the time stamp.

                      Probably more than most wanted to know! :)

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 21 12:39 PM
                        That "DeadReckon" in the lower right corner is the effect of Configure / Screen / Date/Time / Performance being checked which cause the timestamp field to display internal diagnostic information about why the screen is repainting.  I'm still needing to do some optimization in that area before I can even consider doing transparent overlays on the map.  Currently screen painting chews up copious amounts of CPU which is an impact on tablets as well as cellphone batteries.

                        As for the storms that are moving, those should be present if you receive an NWS packet that actually includes course and speed information along with the highlight coordinates.

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 21 1:44 PM
                          Ah, I haven't messed with that option.

                          Except for WX, I would rather make one tile out of the various overlays. For instance, I believe the three that make up the USW or CO tiles are best as a single tile for space reasons. I think I used Mobile Atlas Creator to do that. I'd have to go back and look. I do remember that whatever I used wasn't necessarily friendly.

                          For the environment short on CPU cycles, the tiles could be made into one, even if they are WX tiles. Make the tiles then replace them with new ones when necessary. In theory that would save on painting supplies. I played around with that myself but I had to change tile set, zoom in/out, then change back to the tile set and dance around the mulberry bush to clear the tile cache when I wanted to see updates. Okay maybe it wasn't that drastic. :) A refresh tile cache timer would work for me. Of course I am working on a under worked CPU even when I am doing 3D modeling.

                          I do see the same shapes as below! That is still a great feature!