Topo maps in APRSISCE

  • Don Rolph
    Message 1 of 11 , May 21, 2013
      OK, as usual, the customer is never satisfied.  they now want the map to show a topo map.

      I looked in the Wiki and there are topo maps available with an item specifically for Massachusetts.  fortunately we are in MA.

      I can go to the website and see the MA topo map,

      I configure this as an alternate map in APRSISCE and get nothing.

      I use a server:

      with a URL of:

      /ma

      but no map information shows in APRSISCE even though a web browser shows this as a top map for Massachusetts.

      I created a separate directory for storing the topo map files.

      Thoughts/comments/suggestions?

      Thanks in advance!

      73,
      AB1PH
      Don Rolph
      Message 2 of 11 , May 21, 2013
        On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 6:35 AM, Don Rolph <don.rolph@...> wrote:

        > OK, as usual, the customer is never satisfied. they now want the map to
        > show a topo map.
        >
        > I looked in the Wiki and there are topo maps available with an item
        > specifically for Massachusetts. fortunately we are in MA.
        >
        > I can go to the website and see the MA topo map,
        >
        > I configure this as an alternate map in APRSISCE and get nothing.
        >
        > I use a server:
        >
        > - tile1.toposm.com
        >
        > with a URL of:
        >
        > /ma
        >
        > but no map information shows in APRSISCE even though a web browser shows
        > this as a top map for Massachusetts.
        >
        > I created a separate directory for storing the topo map files.
        >
        > Thoughts/comments/suggestions?

        Did you dig into the full name of the tiles? I just went there and
        pulled up a tile...

        http://tile3.toposm.com/ma/final/11/619/757.png

        Note the "final" in the name. That is probably your sticking point.

        Take a look here:

        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tile-sets

        Note that the second entry show the proper URL for MA with /ma/final/

        Message 3 of 11 , May 21, 2013
          Hi Don,

          These are my settings. The background you see are the tiles too.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 21, 2013
            I can display just fine in a web  browser using any of the following:

            I get 404 fobidden if I use:

            And none of these display the topo in APRSISCE when configured as:

            url: /ma/ or /ma/final/ or /us/ or /us/index.html

            It would appear that APRSISCE is not recognizing the tiles.

            73,
            AB1PH
            Don Rolph

            Message 5 of 11 , May 21, 2013
              You address is wrong. TopOSM has only 1 'O' [oh as in oh no! :) ]

              Message 6 of 11 , May 21, 2013
                Ok it should be

                Too many oo.

                I can see MA.  Is the rest of the US available?

                Thanks.  A clear ID10T error.

                73,
                AB1PH
                Don Rolph

                Message 7 of 11 , May 21, 2013
                  Yup a clear ID10T error.

                  Thanks for your help!

                  73,
                  AB1PH
                  Don Rolph

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 21, 2013
                    Hi Don,

                    Only MA is available as a collection of single tiles. The guy that did the rendering is living in MA so that was his main focus. He has picked up the work again but I don't know how it is progressing. I saw a sample a couple of months ago.

                    There are options but it takes some tile stacking/assembly, then they can be used. If you look deeper you will find there are several tiles that make up the final tile image. Each of the tiles have to be stacked and assembled to get a usable tile. I have played around with the collection of tiles for a section of Colorado and have working tiles for a very small section. If I over get to trip in any of the areas covered, I will build a collection.

                    This are the tiles which make up 13/1699/3100:

                    The first layer is the JPG, then the others, which are transparent, are put on top.

                    WA, OR, NV, CA: http://toposm.com/usw/
                    MA: http://tile1.toposm.com/ma/ <-- these are directly usable!

                    The max zoom is 13 for the US and 15 for the rest.

                    For the rest of the US, I use the ArcGIS or CalTopo tiles but mostly ArcGIS. I grew up with USGS Topo maps so they give me a warm fuzzy feeling. ;)

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 21, 2013
                        Fred:

                        Well MA is what I need now.  I will close on others later.

                        Thanks!

                        73,
                        AB1PH
                        Don Rolph

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 21, 2013
                          The is the basic answer:

                          The entire US is covered but only to zoom 13 and is made up of multiple tiles for each tile. The US west coast (USW) and Colorado (CO) go to level 15 and is made up of multiple tiles for each tile. MA has a single tile for each tile.

                          For a bit more detail:

                          I am looking at the US map in areas not covered by specific links below and see contours on 12 and 13. There is no colored-relief on 13. It appears to work consistently from 3 to 13 with those exceptions.

                          The same US map, in areas covered by the other links (CO and USW), the results are not necessarily consistent. There are no 14+ tiles in Virginia along the Skyline Drive. That is no a surprise. However,  Colorado and USW gives up tiles to level 15 with contours starting at 12. I didn't look closely at the colored relief. The MA area does not go to 15 like the others. So, I would say at the moment that areas with additional work, CO and USW, the zoom density is greater.

                          For the USW and CO, contours work from 10 to 15 and all other other layers work from 5 to 15.