SCS Robust Packet Setting

  • Jeremy
    Message 1 of 5 , May 20, 2013
      Hi All,

      I took delivery of my SCS tracker today and am trying to get it to work with the program.

      My issue, I think, right now is that I can't get the program to tell it to go to Robust Packet 300 baud. The menu on in the configure box doesn't give that option, and when I select "other" it enters a "0" in the script. How do I fix this.

      When I initiate the modem in the program, the TX keys and it sends packet data and then doesn't transmit again, even when I hit the "Transmit" key. I haven't hooked it up to an RX antenna, just the dummy load until I can get this figured out.

      Could someone who uses this modem post the entire script in the XML file so that I can compare?

      I appreciate any help

      73
      Jeremy N1ZZZ
    • wb2lmv
      Message 2 of 5 , May 20, 2013
        Jeremy,
        From what I can see, the members of the Robust Packet Network all use UI-View32.
        Look at the "tip and tricks" area to see how to do it. Maybe Lynn will add it.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 20, 2013

          I would suggest asking Helge DF8LS he does a lot of RPN and is a member of this group.

          If anyone has an SCS Tracker running with APRSIS32 it’s most likely him

          Steve Daniels

          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

          Torbay Freecycle  Owner

          Message 4 of 5 , May 20, 2013
            Hi Jeremy,

            All the TNCs I have used to-date allow setting up via HyperTerminal, PuTTY or your favorite terminal application.

            Using a terminal application, you can look at the settings and make adjustments. On the face, DIP switch 2 is for the baud rate used to converse with the PC. Make note of it and set your terminal app appropriately. I would not change from 38400 to 115200. The slower speed is typically more robust. [Pg 3 of manual]

            Command %B sets your RF baud rate. [page 22]

            Command @K will put the device in KISS. [page 12]
            The comments associated with @K seems to imply that the @K must be entered each time the device is powered up. If that is the case, then @K will need to be part of the KISS configuration in APRSIS32. If it turns out KISS is retained across a power up, then APRSIS32 has a SimplyKISS port configuration that may work.

            This may help you at some point: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration

            Another commenter mentioned that other SCS TNC users use UI-View. If you can get the config file/info, then we should be able to help more if you post it. Once it is operational, we would like to add the information to the WIKI as well.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 20, 2013
              Thanks for all of the input. I think I am set by going through the various sources you pointed me to. The RPR Manual has a script that I discovered just after fixing mine by using the info from the APRSIS32 Wiki.

              In any case, this script in the XML file seems to do the trick:

              <!--RFPort[1]-->
              <RFPort Name="SCS Tracker">
              <Protocol>KISS</Protocol>
              <Device>COM23:38400,N,8,1</Device>
              <RfBaud>300</RfBaud>
              <OpenCmd>^027~!!1</OpenCmd>
              <OpenCmd>^064^075!!0</OpenCmd>
              <CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!1</CloseCmd>
              <CloseCmd>^027~!!1</CloseCmd>
              <QuietTime>0</QuietTime>
              <Enabled>1</Enabled>
              <XmitEnabled>1</XmitEnabled>
              <ProvidesNMEA>0</ProvidesNMEA>
              <RFtoISEnabled>1</RFtoISEnabled>
              <IStoRFEnabled>1</IStoRFEnabled>
              <MyCallNot3rd>0</MyCallNot3rd>
              <BeaconingEnabled>1</BeaconingEnabled>
              <BeaconPath></BeaconPath>
              <BulletinObjectEnabled>1</BulletinObjectEnabled>
              <DXEnabled>0</DXEnabled>
              <DXPath></DXPath>
              <MessagesEnabled>1</MessagesEnabled>
              <MessagePath></MessagePath>
              <TelemetryEnabled>1</TelemetryEnabled>
              <TelemetryPath></TelemetryPath>
              <!--DigiXform-->
              </RFPort>
              <!--RFPort[1]-->

              It is RF port 1 because I have my KAM as port 0. (I disable one or the other when I run this application.)

              I used the SCS program TRConfig to do the initial settings. This Windows 7 machine has no terminal program and trying to get any of my older machines to look at COM23 wasn't working either. That program not only can set everything up easily, it also does firmware updates.

              When you fire the TNC and program up, the Red LED for KISS mode does light up so that is a good indication that it worked correctly. When I hit the "transmit" button it does appear to send out the Robust packet. I can't see if it decodes as I haven't gotten a 30M antenna up, but that will be tomorrow's project.

              When you shut the program down, you do have to cycle the power of the Tracker or it won't re-initialize in KISS mode. Not sure why, but it's a known problem.

              73
              Jeremy N1ZZZ