Messaging feature request for APRSISCE32

  • Tony VE6MVP
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12, 2013
      Lynn

      I can't recall if I've requested this feature before and I can't find it when I do a search.  So my apologies if we've already discussed this and it's on your list.   Ahh, I did send it back on March 3rd but there was no response.  "Suggestions for message and acknowledgement paths."   But I've updated the concept a bit since.

      I'd like the ability to enter the path, such as AB7-7 when sending a message.  Defaulting to the Configure >> Beacon >> Path is fine but there are times when I want to enter my own path.

      A specific scenario is when sending a message via an AB7-7 path to the other end of the province.  Currently I have to change the Beacon Path, send my message, wait for a reply, respond, etc, etc, and then, hopefully, remember to change the Beacon Path back to WIDE2-2.   In the meantime while waiting for the message session to complete, my igate position packets are being sent out every ten minutes with an AB7-7 path.

      Also, if possible and this could be a bit tricker,  replying to a message should use the same path as the received message.     And maybe the path should be displayed.  Or have an option to view the path without having to go to the logs. Now I do realize that if James VE6SRV sends me  a message from AB7-7 five hopes away the received path will be AB7-2, etc.    But a bit of programming should be able to figure out most of the possibilities of the initial path of the received message.

      Although when I think about it why does my, or any Igate, igate need a WIDE2-2 path?   Hmm, it would be useful for the traveller to know that there is an igate within two hops so they can send/receive messages or possibly QRU.

      Tony
    • Robert Bruninga
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12, 2013
        > I'd like the ability to enter the path,... when sending a message.

        Yes, The original APRS allowed for setting the path for each message.  This was important to reduce QRM an dimprove reliability.  SInce a message is one-on-one, it made no sense to broadcast a message and was much more efficiet to be able to tailor it based on its need.

        > ...why does my, or any Igate, igate need a
        WIDE2-2 path?

        Good question.  Ideally IGates should have only a LOCAL path (usuallly one  hop only (though it can hit as many local digis at the same time).  This is so that it's "impact" remains local.  As soon as anything goes more than one hop, it is no longer local and is impacting areas beyond VHF operation meaning the people impacted have no way to commujicate back to the source of things not wanted in their areas.

        >  Hmm, it would be useful for the traveler to
        know that there
        > is an igate within two hops so they can send/receive
        messages or possibly QRU.

        This is the responsilibly of all APRS operators as a local group in any area.  To assure that there is an IGate that can hear EVERY DIGI and hit it.    In some places the Igate t may have to transmit two hops, but in those cases, it is a rural area and so the blind QRM beyond local is not much of a problem.  But back in the East coast, where there are hundreds of digis and nearly as many igates, one hop should be more than adqquate in most cases.

        But this is not just something done in the blind.  APRS is a network, and people are supposed to look at it, understand how it works and set up their local area for the most efficient operation.

        Good luck.

        Bob, Wb4APr
      • Tony VE6MVP
        Message 3 of 4 , May 12, 2013
          At 08:38 PM 2013-05-12, Robert Bruninga wrote:

          > ...why does my, or any Igate, igate need a WIDE2-2 path?

          Good question.  Ideally IGates should have only a LOCAL path (usuallly one  hop only (though it can hit as many local digis at the same time).  This is so that it's "impact" remains local.  As soon as anything goes more than one hop, it is no longer local and is impacting areas beyond VHF operation meaning the people impacted have no way to commujicate back to the source of things not wanted in their areas.

          But we here in rural Alberta only have igates in two hop range most of the time so letting folks know that an igate is available 60 or 80 miles away is a good thing.    We have, or maybe it's had, a few places where it takes three hops to get to the nearest igate.

          >  Hmm, it would be useful for the traveler to know that there
          > is an igate within two hops so they can send/receive messages or possibly QRU.

          This is the responsilibly of all APRS operators as a local group in any area.  To assure that there is an IGate that can hear EVERY DIGI and hit it.    In some places the Igate t may have to transmit two hops, but in those cases, it is a rural area and so the blind QRM beyond local is not much of a problem.  But back in the East coast, where there are hundreds of digis and nearly as many igates, one hop should be more than adqquate in most cases.

          If I ever make ti to the east coast of the USA, or maybe LA in California, it'd be interesting to listen to the frequency and hear how busy the frequency is even from a mobile antenna.   I know James VE6SRV has been to Dayton.  I gotta make it there one year.

          A little bit of an inversion on right now so my system is decoding 4 or 5 digis that are about another 20 or 40 miles away than usual.   But still 10 or 20 seconds of dead silence and then a burst of activity.    And I'm hearing some packets which are too "muddy" to be decoded.

          Tony
          Message 4 of 4 , May 13, 2013
            On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

            > A little bit of an inversion on right now so my system is decoding 4 or 5
            > digis that are about another 20 or 40 miles away than usual. But still 10
            > or 20 seconds of dead silence and then a burst of activity. And I'm
            > hearing some packets which are too "muddy" to be decoded.

            When I get my PPG airborne, I'll put my HT on crossband repeat and let
            you have a listen to the channel activity from 1000 feet AGL or so.
            I'll have to give you a shout on the local repeater from a couple
            hundred km away, and we'll figure out a UHF frequency for you to
            listen to. You could tune the D710 to the UHF frequency and try
            decoding packets too...