Re: Stale position reports

  • k7ybz
    Message 1 of 8 , May 10, 2013
      Tony,

      What I meant by tx only is that most of the vehicles have a dedicated xcvr with an external tnc for tx position on the APRS freq but yes there is squelch detect.

      Those vehicles that do have display capability such as the Garmin 350 or AvMap G5/G6, etc. then they can monitor positions.

      The TNC's are a mix of anything that works, mostly OT2's and KPC3's.

      No, on most days a single DIGI would not work and there is insufficient time to drive to a place, setup a digi, then drive to the net control site. The first net operator has to be at their respective site and set up by 6:30 AM. Setup takes an hour and the drive could be two hours from the overnight. The other one or two net operators could be several hours from their site also. Setup requires putting up at least three masts and isopole antennas for the primary frequencies. The rest of the frequencies are handled by magmounts antennas.

      You have to understand, in order to reach a site to cover a good portion of the course, we have to be on a mountain top but the course could very well be in a canyon. Access to the net site is usually gravel and/or dirt Forest Service roads or private roads, not necessarily paved highways.

      Larry
      K7YBZ