New guy question

  • wa3erq
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2013
      Sorry for the newbie question, but what will APRSISCE allow me to do (with the TM-D710A) other than tracking. Keep in mind that I'm still new to APRS.

      Thanks for the help.

      '73
      Jim
      WA3ERQ
    • Tony VE6MVP
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2013
        At 04:19 PM 2013-05-09, wa3erq wrote:

        Sorry for the newbie question, but what will APRSISCE allow me to do (with the TM-D710A) other than tracking.

        We like newbie questions.  Rather than idiots who don't ask questions but go ahead blindly and annoy others.  <smile>

        With APRSISCE you can send and receive APRS messages.   A few months ago I just happened to see a mobile amateur who had just entered the southern coverage area of both APRS and a linked repeater which I talk on.  So I sent him an APRS message to his D710 mentioning the repeater frequency.   Within a few minutes I saw that the frequency in his APRS message had changed and then he gave a call on the repeater.  So we chatted for the next hour or so as he drove at 80 kmph (50 mph for the metric challenged) in not so nice blowing snow conditions.

        I'm also experimenting with sending/receiving APRS messages and Bulletins using an AB3-3 to the provincial capital or AB7-7 path througout the province as appropriate.  AB is for Alberta.  Your province/state/region will be different.

        (I'd like to see Lynn put the capability of specifying the path for messages rather than using the beacon path.   It's nice being able to specify the path for APRS objects.  I have one repeater object where I specify the four digipeaters path to ensure the APRS object covers the area of the voice repeater but no where else.  If you care the path is VERMLN,LLOYD,PROVST,ALIANC)

        You can transmit APRS objects such as upcoming flea markets or popular visitor friendly repeaters.   Don't xmit info on all repeaters or those which only a few folks inhabit but instead choose the one or two in the area that most local amateurs receive and will respond on.

        You can also set your station up as an iGate if there aren't any in your local area.    Digipeaters with duplicate coverage are bad.  Duplicate igates can provide redundant coverage if one goes down or is unavailable.  Now that there is a nearby iGate to me I can play around with satellite and other neat stuff but do APRS if I know something important is happening such as a balloon launch.

        Tony  (VA6OO on APRS)
        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2013

          Lots of things, I would suggest looking through the WIKI although it’s really more about using the software than what APRS is.

          Although G7AHP’s presentation powerpoint may cover some things.

          I mostly use APRS for messaging, but I run a QRU system that allows people to find their local repeaters etc

          Steve Daniels

          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

          Torbay Freecycle  Owner

          Message 4 of 5 , May 9, 2013
            At 04:41 PM 2013-05-09, Steve Daniels wrote:

            I can see QRU being quite useful.  However I feel that important travelling amateur information should be pushed to the mobile user such as traveller friendly repeaters.

            But if the information can be found in consumer automotive GPSs then it doesn't need to be pushed out onto RF.  For example hospitals and police stations don't need to be on RF.

            Ahh, I see where QRU could be used to pull that kind of information to the radio.  OTOH lots of that is available in consumer automotive GPSs.   http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:qru

            Tony

            Message 5 of 5 , May 9, 2013
              You're asking a very broad question. It would be easier to list the
              APRS functions that APRSISCE/32 doesn't support.

              You would be better off researching what you can do with APRS, which
              is probably more likely what you are looking for.

              You've gotten a couple answers, but that hardly scratches the surface.
              I could add in that you can do radio direction finding with the
              program, but that still is only one minor aspect of the program.

              It's kind of like me saying "I just bought a car, what can I do with
              it?". Well one answer could be "You can track and capture a Sasquatch
              with it!", but is that a complete list?

              Grab the APRS101.pdf document, and just browse the index to get an
              idea of what you can do with APRS. Actually that will only tell you
              the types of information you can share, what you do with it is up to
              your imagination.

              On 5/9/13, wa3erq <wa3erq@...> wrote:
              > Sorry for the newbie question, but what will APRSISCE allow me to do (with
              > the TM-D710A) other than tracking. Keep in mind that I'm still new to
              > APRS.
              >

              > Thanks for the help.
              >
              > '73
              > Jim