KWD710(APRS) mode

    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2013
      So, I'm once again fighting with trying to get proper operation out of
      APRSISCE/32 and a Kenwood D710.

      The default KWD710(APRS) port configuration has a whole lot of
      commands that really aren't necessary when you connect a computer to a
      D710 running in APRS mode.

      However, if you delete all the commands, and just put in no-op
      commands, you can no longer see any communication on the port when
      logging. What's up with that?

      My work around has always been to get APRSISCE/32 to attempt to get
      into APRS mode, then cycle power on the D710 to get it back to a known
      good operating condition. The problem lies in that sometimes
      APRSISCE/32 will screw up the D710 again, requiring another reset of
      the radio.

      Being able to see what's going on, and interact with the TNC while
      running APRSISCE/32 would probably help a fair bit.

      I thought I saw a set of commands by Fred a while ago that I was going
      to try, but I can't seem to find it.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 2013
        I am not the correct Fred.
        Will the others Fred's speak up? :)

        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 2013
          On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 7:16 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

          > I am not the correct Fred.
          > Will the others Fred's speak up? :)

          That might be why I can't find it... maybe is wasn't a Fred, maybe an
          Adam... grrr old age and faulty memories are creeping up on me. I had
          to admit that my wife was right 3 times last month! AUGGHHHH!!!

        • Gary Sanders
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2013
            James,

            Would this be appropriate?

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I3pSZGCuHA

            Gary Sanders W0BY

            On 5/6/2013 11:21 AM, James Ewen wrote:
            > On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 7:16 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I am not the correct Fred.
            >> Will the others Fred's speak up? :)
            >
            > That might be why I can't find it... maybe is wasn't a Fred, maybe an
            > Adam... grrr old age and faulty memories are creeping up on me. I had
            > to admit that my wife was right 3 times last month! AUGGHHHH!!!
            >
            > --
            > James
            > VE6SRV
          • adam_kc2ant
            Message 5 of 6 , May 6, 2013
              Hmm.

              I don't remember doing that.

              I know that my D710 appears to work in native APRS mode as long as aprsis32 is only transmitting messages, not beacons.

              I can send my D710 port info from my xml file with what i'm running if you like. I don't recall editing it.

              I did attempt to run the D710 in aprs mode, but receive only with aprsis32 controlling beacons, but the TNC seems unhappy with that so I have stopped using it that way.

              I know that my aprsis32 takes a long time to start pulling GPS data through the port, but I've never had the radio need to be cycled.

              Adam
              KC2ANT

              Message 6 of 6 , May 6, 2013
                On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:33 AM, <kc2ant@...> wrote:

                > I know that my D710 appears to work in native APRS mode as long as
                > aprsis32 is only transmitting messages, not beacons.

                That would be interesting to see, I've been trying to figure out that
                magic incantation for a long time.

                I had to fight again while chasing a balloon. My port stopped relaying
                GPS data, and I ended up making a NMEA port, but both the D710 and
                NMEA port were pointed at COM4, which shouldn't work, but I got packet
                data, and GPS data at the same time...

                > I can send my D710 port info from my xml file with what i'm running if you
                > like. I don't recall editing it.
                >
                > I did attempt to run the D710 in aprs mode, but receive only with aprsis32
                > controlling beacons, but the TNC seems unhappy with that so I have stopped
                > using it that way.
                >
                > I know that my aprsis32 takes a long time to start pulling GPS data
                > through the port, but I've never had the radio need to be cycled.

                I just can't figure out what the program is doing in the background...
                there's stuff happening that screws things up, but I don't know what
                is going on. It's probably because I don't speak Floridian dialect...