Bulletins

  • Tony VE6MVP
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
      At 10:20 PM 2013-04-30, James Ewen wrote in the D710 mailing list
      You can also set a BULLETIN code as well. I have not
      played with Bulletins since people around here rarely send messages,
      let alone bulletins. Most people don't realize APRS is a
      bi-directional communication medium.

      Well, let's see if I can raise a bit of fuss with bulletins here in WIDE2-2 and AB7-7 land.  <smile>    Bulletins sent.  Let's see if any response.

      One thing I did notice on the Wiki page http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/bulletins it states  "The length of a bulletin line is limited to ? Characters, multi line bulletins can be created by assigning a line number to each comment. This is done with the unlabeled drop down menu, next to the enabled tickbox. "

      Lynn, how many characters?     And without that Wiki page I would've had no idea what that single character drop down/combo box meant.

      I don't know anything about Bulletins but if I understand the checkmark beside Messages >> Bulletins >> Notify I suspect I'd prefer the default to be seeing Bulletins

      Also if someone is going to update that page consider adding a link to the APRS.FI page showing bulletins.  http://aprs.fi/bulletin/

      Would this also be a suitable means for an emergency alert to go to all APRS stations?  For example say it's the only good way of notifying anyone else in the province to get ARES listening to APRS message traffic?    I'm thinking of the scenario where all comms other than amateur radio are out and there aren't any linked repeater systems available to me but APRS is available.  So it's either some kind of broadcast message alerting every APRS user we need help or HF.

      Or are bulletins more for non location specific items such as announcements for a net this evening?

      Tony