gating to RF...

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2013
      Is VA7DPF on this list? He appears to be using aprsisce32. I tried
      sending an APRS message to VA7DPF-1, but strangely, didn't get
      an ACK. Huh?

      I normally send a beacon from VE7GDH-10 on RF with no path. I
      noticed this morning (well, actually a few days ago) that VA7DPF-1
      was gating me to RF... with a two hop path no less! Is this a default
      arbitrary action, or did the operator specifically set this up?

      I should point out that I had sent a message to a station via TCPIP
      a bit earlier. I know that IGates send a "courtesy position report"
      from the sender to recipients of messages, so this could be a matter
      of the IGate gating the position report to RF because it had gated
      my message to RF. I was just trying to determine if the IGate was
      arbitrarily gating stations out to RF or if it was related to my
      message. The station I sent the message to was on RF as well
      as connected to the APRS-IS, so this could be related to action
      taken by IGates, and the criteria used by an IGate to determine if
      a station is local or not.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      www.ui-view.org