Dual iGate: Terrestrial and ISS

  • reed2web
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 29, 2013
      I would appreciate hints on the best way to setup APRSISCE to receive APRS from the ISS 145.825) and receive/send from land (144.39) using one computer. I would like to do this on a single Windows XP laptop. I will add an external ham sound "card," using the internal sound card for 144.39 and external for 145.825 (without hardware TNCs). At least, that's the initial plan.

      For example, should I run two instances of APRSISCE in two separate directory structures, or can one instance handle both situations? I expect I will need to run two instances of the TNC software.

      Your thoughts appreciated, *especially* if you have setup a dual-port station like this. I am inexperienced with APRSISCE, so please don't assume I already know all the details. Being an old geek, I do have a lengthy computer background, although most of it is with Unix/Linux and Mac.

      Thanks ... Reed K7FLY
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 29, 2013

        A good start is here http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:satelliteops I wrote most of that after using the ISS for awhile

        Steve Daniels

        Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

        Torbay Freecycle  Owner

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 30, 2013
          Steve ...

          Your writeup is well written and very helpful, thanks.

          Do you run the satellite instance of APRISCE at the same time as a terrestrial instance in the same computer? Do you use a software TNC or a hardware TNC? If software TNC, which one do you favor?

          Thanks ... Reed K7FLY

          -------------

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 30, 2013

            I run 2 instances one for satellite one for terrestrial, the terrestrial one is handy to monitor to see if you have been gated by someone.

            I use a software TNC for satellite either UZ7HO or more recently Dire Wolf

            Steve Daniels

            Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

            Your writeup is well written and very helpful, thanks.

            Do you run the satellite instance of APRISCE at the same time as a terrestrial instance in the same computer? Do you use a software TNC or a hardware TNC? If software TNC, which one do you favor?

            Thanks ... Reed K7FLY

            -------------

            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Daniels" <steve@...> wrote:

            > A good start is here http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:satelliteops
            I wrote
            > most of that after using the ISS for awhile
            >
            > Steve Daniels
            >
            > Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
            > Torbay Freecycle Owner
            > http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle
            > APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor
            href="http://aprsisce.wikidot.com">http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

          • adam_kc2ant
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 30, 2013
              445.925 is in use for APRS.

               http://www.arrl.org/band-plan

              432.500 maybe?

              Adam
              KC2ANT

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 30, 2013
                Sorry all, that got sent to the wrong list.

                Adam
                KC2ANT

                Your writeup is well written and very helpful, thanks.

                Do you run the satellite instance of APRISCE at the same time as a terrestrial instance in the same computer? Do you use a software TNC or a hardware TNC? If software TNC, which one do you favor?

                Thanks ... Reed K7FLY

                -------------

                --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Daniels" <steve@...> wrote:

                > A good start is here http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:satelliteops I wrote
                > most of that after using the ISS for awhile
                >
                > Steve Daniels
                >
                > Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
                > Torbay Freecycle Owner
                > http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle
                > APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

              • Adam Mahnke
                Message 7 of 14 , May 7, 2013
                  So, in follow up to this.

                  We are experimenting with APRS96 on UHF in the Ithaca area.

                  I ran two separate instances of APRSIS32 for this to start with, but now I have a single instance running two radio ports.

                  You may also notice
                  as a stand alone UHF APRS96 Digi in the Ithaca area (same site as W2CXM-1) on a D700 with no APRSIS32 connection

                  So far APRSIS32 seems to be behaving normally running both ports rather happily. It is a WIDE1-1 Digi, and a bidirectional IGate for both (not gating packets to RF, just messages) and we have N2PYI-4 gating IS traffic from our little 3 county area to RF on the UHF channel. It's an interesting experiment.

                  I'm wondering if that is something similar to what Reed is attempting to do, a single instance and SSID running two different frequencies?

                  Adam
                  KC2ANT

                  To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                  From: steve@...
                  Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:18:13 +0100
                  Subject: RE: [aprsisce] Dual iGate: Terrestrial and ISS

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 7, 2013
                    Just be aware that the current APRSISCE/32 doesn't keep track of WHICH port a station was "recently heard local" for gating messages from -IS to RF, just the fact that it WAS recently heard local.  So, if a message comes across the APRS-IS for a station that's on UHF, it will be transmitted on both UHF and VHF ports.

                    And there is also no cross-port gating supported in the current incarnation, so messages won't cross between the UHF and VHF ports.

                    Now, if you ran separate instances with an APRS-IS server between them, messages will only go out on the instance/port that heard the station recently local and UHF/VHF cross messages will gate to/from the APRS-IS and manage the cross-band activity properly there as well.

                    So, what is it you're gaining by using a single dual-ported instance?

                    To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                    From: steve@...
                    Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:18:13 +0100

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 7, 2013
                      Honestly, just one less program running on the PC at any given time. (and one less for the YL to have to worry about starting back up if/when it crashes)

                      I may go back to the double instances though, just for the messaging... didn't think about that part.

                      Adam
                      KC2ANT

                      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                      From: steve@...
                      Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:18:13 +0100

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 7, 2013

                        Just put links in the startup folder, will load up on reboot then. Probably safest to ban the YL from the PC.

                        I want at some point to run HF VHF cross band, I have a fair amount of traffic going down the English Channel, and I usually get thanks for keeping the HF and VHF running so the can message.

                        Obviously there needs to be a fair amount of filtering on VHF to HF and IS to HF

                        But if you are on a boat the ability to receive a message from friends is a big advantage, be it VHF to HF or IS to HF.

                        From: steve@...
                        Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:18:13 +0100

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 7, 2013
                          Ha ha, funny guy. In the interest of domestic tranquility i'll leave that as a last resort.

                          We've got a 30M gateway in the area, seems silly to have 2 within 20 miles of each other.

                          I may populate the startup folder though

                          Adam
                          KC2ANT

                          From: steve@...
                          Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:18:13 +0100

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 8, 2013
                            > We've got a 30M gateway in the area,
                            > seems silly to have 2 within 20 miles of each other.

                            Not at all. That is called spatial diversity and is a vast benefit for any
                            HF net. Even if they were a few hundred meters a part, they would still
                            show diversity. When one is in a fade, the other would not be. Diversity
                            whether in the spatial, or time domain or any other domain is a great way to
                            improve link reliability.

                            > I want at some point to run HF VHF cross band,
                            > I have a fair amount of traffic going down the English Channel...
                            > Obviously there needs to be a fair amount of filtering on VHF to HF and IS
                            > to HF

                            Red flags going up here (though I have not followed the thread closely).
                            But here are the "rules" for HF/VHF gating established back in 1994 or 5 or
                            so.

                            1) Gating every packet from HF to local VHF is fine... but ONLY if we assume
                            everyone on HF is using a path no longer than GATE,WIDE1-1. The idea being
                            that the packet is heard in the SAME local area as the HF=>VHF gate. Thus
                            locals who know the GATer can work out if the load is a problem

                            2) Gating VHF to HF is strictly not desired under any circumstances *other*
                            than messages. Messages are CALL-A to CALL-B and should go
                            anywhere/everywhere there is a path available.

                            3) There should be no DIGIPEATING on HF except for emergency messages or
                            live one-on-one testing for short periods. The APRS HF network is the
                            worlds largest spatial diversity receiver. Some gate, somewhere will hear a
                            packet if it is to be heard. No sense doubling the QRM all the time by
                            digipeating.

                            Hope that helps.
                            Bob, WB4APR
                          • reed2web
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 8, 2013
                              Adam ...

                              Thank you for your thoughts. Knowing the alternatives is a big help.

                              I am on the learning curve, so I will start with one radio (rec only) and one instance of APRIS32. Then add a second radio for ISS, both radios receive only, and still one instance. If there is a need for the second instance, I will do it. As Einstein said, "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler." ( At least, I think it was Einstein.)

                              I live in an area that has very low APRS activity (probably due in part to the lack of nodes!). So, at the moment, doing a perfect implementation is less important than perfection would be in a congested area.

                              I think I read that Dire Wolf (TNC software) can handle two channels of input (hopefully, right and left channels of the audio input to the PC). If that works, the whole deal would be pretty slick. And better yet, no additional hardware to purchase! In theory, at least.

                              At the moment, a house-painting project is keeping me at bay.

                              Regards ... Reed K7FLY
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 8, 2013
                                I have heard, "make something simple and only the simple will use it."

                                Dire Wolf does support to channels. In the zip files, there are a few PDFs to look through. I am working on implementing this on a Raspberry Pi. I finally got it to see my USB soundcard dongle yesterday. Now I have to put it down for about a week while needing to do something else.