Re: TINY 2 Setup

  • kb8emd
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 28, 2013
      Steve are you using the PacComm tiny-2 TNC I have one but I'm having a hard time getting it to work what are you using to hook it to your computer I am using a rs232 to usb cable and mini gender changer but I'm having trouble communicating with the TNC.
      Larry KB8EMD

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 29, 2013

        I Used a Tiny-2 for awhile (well a clone) and used a USB to RS232 converter cable,, had no real problems with it.

        Mine had a DCD conversion on it, such that the TNC checked for data to decide if the channel was in use, rather than squelch.

        APRSIS32 using a KISS port rather then simply KISS will put the TNC into KISS mode. 2 LEDs will flash 3 times when it changes mode.

        That’s configure/ports/new port select the KISS option then set the com port parameters. If it connects ok you will see 2 LEDs on the TNC flash.

        Steve Daniels

        Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

        Torbay Freecycle  Owner

        Steve are you using the PacComm tiny-2 TNC I have one but I'm having a hard time getting it to work what are you using to hook it to your computer I am using a rs232 to usb cable and mini gender changer but I'm having trouble communicating with the TNC.
        Larry KB8EMD

        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Daniels" <steve@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have the correct setup for a Tiny 2 TNC? I believe it's
        > unmodified, I think the DCD might be causing issues as it does not seem to
        > receive. Going to drive to someones house and try and sort, so info from
        > someone who hs setup a Tiny 2 recently would be good. I don't think I will
        > have a way of connecting a line from DCD to squelch on the radio for a
        > start.
        >
        > To be honest I don't yet know what the issue is, but feel it might be a
        DCD
        > issue
        >

        > Steve Daniels
        >
        > Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
        >
        > Torbay Freecycle Owner

        > APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor
        href="http://aprsisce.wikidot.com">http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

      • Rob Giuliano
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 29, 2013
          Larry,
            Typically if a gender changer is required, it is because connection type (pins assigned to TxD and RxD).

          Male Pins are for the MASTER port:
             2 - RxD
             3 - TxD
             5-Gnd

          Female Pins are for the slave port (2 & 3 swapped):
             2 - TxD
             3 - RxD
             5-Gnd

          A gender changer will not swap 2 & 3, so you may need a null modem (crossover) cable to communicate with the Tny-2.

          Check the documentation and compare pin assignments.

          Robert Giuliano
          KB8RCO

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 29, 2013
            On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:

            > Male Pins are for the MASTER port:
            > 2 - RxD
            > 3 - TxD
            > 5-Gnd
            >
            > Female Pins are for the slave port (2 & 3 swapped):
            > 2 - TxD
            > 3 - RxD
            > 5-Gnd

            Actually the terms are DTE and DCE, Data Terminal Equipment (The
            computer) and Data Communication Equipment (TNC).

            And just to make it nice and easy...

            25 pin DTE devices transmit on pin 2 and receive on pin 3.
            25 pin DCE devices transmit on pin 3 and receive on pin 2.
            9 pin DTE devices transmit on pin 3 and receive on pin 2.
            9 pin DCE devices transmit on pin 2 and receive on pin 3.

            Then throw in to the pot, are you talking about the gender of the port
            on the device or the cable end?

            On a computer with a DE-9 serial port, you will find the port itself
            has male pins, and is wired as DTE.

          • kb8emd
            Message 5 of 15 , May 5, 2013
              I received a new correct chip and I can use the CMD command to change mycall what I am thinking if I hook my laptop to the TNC just using a gender changer and I want to watch maps on my laptop while mobile running say aprsis32 that the radio may try to transmit into my laptop on the wrong pin and mess something up I would like any info about that in the mean time I will keep digging
              Larry KB8EMD

              Message 6 of 15 , May 5, 2013
                I know I get confused easy my TNC has a male db9 rs232 as does the new RS232 to USB cable I installed a gender changer (female)on the cable's male pins and plugged the other side of the (female) gender changer into the male pins of the TNC I am able to now set the TNC using the CMD prompt but I want to be able to drive down the road watching Aprsis32 maps on my laptop with the GPS and radio hooked to the TNC like I did 15 years ago any help would be appreciated.
                Larry KB8EMD

                Message 7 of 15 , May 5, 2013
                  On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM, kb8emd <larrylb@...> wrote:

                  > I received a new correct chip and I can use the CMD command to change mycall what
                  > I am thinking if I hook my laptop to the TNC just using a gender changer and I want to
                  > watch maps on my laptop while mobile running say aprsis32 that the radio may try to
                  > transmit into my laptop on the wrong pin and mess something up I would like any info
                  > about that in the mean time I will keep digging

                  If you can type commands to the TNC and see the results, then your
                  data communications connections to the TNC are working. It sounds like
                  whoever manufactured the TNC screwed up and put the wrong connector on
                  for the port type. Kenwood did that with the D700.

                  Whatever the case may be, if you can type and it responds, it's working.

                  The radio will never transmit into your computer though. The radio
                  transmits out the antenna port, and unless you connect the antenna
                  port to your computer somehow, that won't happen.

                  The only transmitting into your computer should be from the TNC, and
                  if you swap pins there, you won't blow anything up.

                • kb8emd
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 10, 2013
                    Thanks I get a null modem cable before hooking back up and see if I can get my PacComm Tiny-2 (not mk2) to work.
                    Larry KB8EMD