PacComm Tiny-2 not responding old man needs help

  • kb8emd
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28 8:04 PM
      I have been out of APRS for over 16 years lots has changed since I last used my PacComm tiny-2 I ordered a new memory battery and a new updated chip.
      After buying a RS232 to USB cable plus a mini gender changer
      I hooked everything to my laptop running windows 7. the driver cd that came with the cable assigned it to com port(5)
      The only program I have is one called NuPacket I set it to com port(5) turned on the TNC and saw gibberish on the screen I set both the cable and the program to 4800 baud 8-n-1 now when I turn on the TNC it shows some info about the TNC
      when I try to set MYCALL it returns "no source call" I don't know if I'm even in CMD mode I've ask several local hams running APRS but none use a stand alone TNC they either have Kenwood radios or are running some form of tracker.
      I was told by one member to get aprsis I don't know which program I need for windows 7 and If anyone has any ideas how I can get my Tiny-2 up and running I would be a happy 71 year old man.
      thanks Larry KB8EMD
    • kb8emd
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2013
        I think I have found my problem seems the chip from PacComm was for
        a TINY-2 MK2 I have the plain Jane TINY-2 they are shipping me a new
        chip I should get it today.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2013

          I have a Tiny 2 clone I put a TNC2KISS eprom in it, as all that’s required for APRS is KISS mode

          Steve Daniels

          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

          Torbay Freecycle  Owner

          I think I have found my problem seems the chip from PacComm was for
          a TINY-2 MK2 I have the plain Jane TINY-2 they are shipping me a new
          chip I should get it today.

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kb8emd" <larrylb@...> wrote:

          > I have been out of APRS for over 16 years lots has changed since I last
          used my PacComm tiny-2 I ordered a new memory battery and a new updated chip.
          > After buying a RS232 to USB cable plus a mini gender changer
          > I hooked everything to my laptop running windows 7. the driver cd that
          came with the cable assigned it to com port(5)
          > The only program I have is one called NuPacket I set it to com port(5)
          turned on the TNC and saw gibberish on the screen I set both the cable and the program to 4800 baud 8-n-1 now when I turn on the TNC it shows some info about the TNC
          > when I try to set MYCALL it returns "no source call" I don't
          know if I'm even in CMD mode I've ask several local hams running APRS but none use a stand alone TNC they either have Kenwood radios or are running some form of tracker.
          > I was told by one member to get aprsis I don't know which program I need
          for windows 7 and If anyone has any ideas how I can get my Tiny-2 up and running I would be a happy 71 year old man.
          > thanks Larry KB8EMD

        • kb8emd
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2013
            Thanks Steve
            I don't know what I'm doing I wouldn't know where to find a kiss eprom, the new chip came in and I was able to hook the Tiny-2 to power and it too the CMD mycall so when I find time I will try to set it up for APRS
            Larry KB8EMD