Re: [aprsisce] Re: some observations and a slew of questions and a request

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 27, 2013
      On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM, <kc8sfq@...> wrote:

      > As I zoom out, the topo goes away and I have the
      > mapnic (original) set again. Also The topos seem to have replaced my
      > original set and my topo tile set and my original tile set seem to be
      > exactly the same tiles, a mix of mapnic and GIS topo.

      So there's your answer right there...

      You are saving the topo tiles in the same directory as your Mapnic files.

      Follow the instructions on the wiki for setting up alternate tile
      sets, and pay close attention to WHERE you put the tiles on your
      computer. The tiles all share the same naming convention, so if you
      put all your tiles in one directory, you're going to get a patchwork
      quilt.

      Save each set in a unique directory and they will stay separate.

    • kc8sfq
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 28, 2013

        Hi James,
        I thought I had it right. It is becoming obvious that I hosed something on the tablet. I tried prefetching on another machine, using (i think) the same settings and IT'S working. The plan now is to prefetch on this machine and then transfer the whole shootin' match to the tablet, newer version of the program and all.

        Now, this brings another question: If (on the tablet) I move the
        un-contaminated map files to the new directory (the one where the "whole shootin match" will go) then, after moving the program, go to CONFIGURE-> TILE SET-> NEW TILE SET and create a "new tile set" with that same name, should APRSIS32 be able to use then just as if I had used APRSIS32 to prefetch them. I have a couple of big libraries of tiles I'd hate to have to recreate from scratch.

        Can I move just the files, or is there a "loader file" I'll need too ("OSM tiles maybe")

        Thanks for the help KC8SFQ  Ron
        +++++++++++++++++++++

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 28, 2013
          On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM, <kc8sfq@...> wrote:

          > I thought I had it right. It is becoming obvious that I hosed something on
          > the tablet. I tried prefetching on another machine, using (i think) the same
          > settings and IT'S working. The plan now is to prefetch on this machine and
          > then transfer the whole shootin' match to the tablet, newer version of the
          > program and all.

          There's no need to do all that. There's no black magic involved here.
          Just point the program on the tablet at the proper directory. When you
          create a new tile set, and it asks you to locate where the tile set is
          supposed to be on your machine, just make a new directory, and click
          okay.

          Pay attention to your file structure. Make a new directory for each
          tile set and you're fine.

          > Now, this brings another question: If (on the tablet) I move the
          > un-contaminated map files to the new directory (the one where the "whole
          > shootin match" will go) then, after moving the program, go to CONFIGURE->
          > TILE SET-> NEW TILE SET and create a "new tile set" with that same name,
          > should APRSIS32 be able to use then just as if I had used APRSIS32 to
          > prefetch them. I have a couple of big libraries of tiles I'd hate to have to
          > recreate from scratch.

          I'd go the other way... I'd tell APRSISCE/32 to make the tile sets
          configurations, and directories first, and then move all the files
          from the source into the directory. That way I have confirmation that
          I made the tile directory structure properly. It's easier to spot
          mistakes on a fresh canvas than it is to try and spot a mistake on a
          directory structure that is filled with files.

          > Can I move just the files, or is there a "loader file" I'll need too ("OSM
          > tiles maybe")

          Go browse the tile directories... have a look, what do you see? You're
          not going to break anything just looking at them. The tiles are just
          little images. Little squares of maps that APRSISCE/32 pulls up as
          required and drops on the screen. Moving the tile directories is like
          copying any other file. Copy from where you find it, and paste it
          where you want it.

          Just grab the root folder of the file repository, and all the
          subfolders and included tiles will move.

        • kc8sfq
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 28, 2013

            Hi again James,
            Done and done. I have a copy of APRSIS32 on a thumb drive and everything worked on that. I've been running it almost continuously in an old laptop, here in the shack. I took that thumb drive and moved it to the Win7 machine, with internet access, added the file folder for Topo and
            prefetched a few map tiles. The advantage of moving to the Win7 machine was the ability to multitask and use cut/ paste  from the WiKi for the long strings, such as the URL. That sure beats typing by hand on a touch screen. Next I took that thumb drive to the tablet and confirmed all map sets worked running on the thumb drive. next I coppied the whole APRSIS32 folder to the hard drive of the tablet, but in a differant folder than the iteration I had been running on the tablet. Then moved the map tile folders to the new folder, In APRSIS32. I then completed the new-tile-set box using the same name as before. I also checked ABOUT and downloaded the latest release. All done now and running, except for setting up my I/O ports to talk to the blue tooth peripherals.

            This is probably not the most elegant of solutions, but, it worked.

            I really think I hosed up the old program. It was REAL sluggish about prefetching. Now with the new iteration running, it seems to be fetching faster and not kicking out of WiFi.

            Thanks and 73, KC8SFQ  Ron

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 29, 2013
              Hi Ron,

              If you are prefetching onto a thumb drive, it will be more sluggish than if you are writing to your hard drive. The write cycle on the thumb drive is much much longer.

              I run daily from a thumb drive myself. Currently, I am running that same drive on my desktop system "driving a GPX" prefetching tiles for a trip.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 29, 2013
                Hi Fred
                You wrote:

                > If you are prefetching onto a thumb drive

                I was, but just enough to load a hand full of tiles. I wanted to take minimum time loading data to the tablet. I needed just enough to satisfy my self that I hadn't hosed something up AGAIN. It looks as if I'm up and running with the tablet, at least to the level I was before the Topo problem. Plus, I now have topo running in addition to cycle, original and midnight command. I am now reloading Original, a bit at a time. My other copy of that tile set was so messed up that I flushed it. I did, however, save my second biggest set, cycle.

                I could sure use some help with the "drive a GPX" though. The wiki has a nice dissertation on how to make a GPX in Google Maps and get it to APRSIS32. My problem is: While I can load a GPX from a previous trip,  the only time I have seen a menu containing "Drive GPX" is when I am multi-tracking someone else. I also found in the archives that I must name a GPX before I can drive it. Not a clue on that one. Once I figure it out, I'll write up a step-by-step for someone coming along behind me.

                Anyway, I'm gaining on this thing a bit at a time. I took a little road trip this morning and I can see I'm going to love the Topo tile set.

                73 KC8SFQ  Ron

                , it will be more sluggish than
                > if
                > you are writing to your hard drive. The write cycle on the thumb drive is
                > much much longer.
                >
                > I run daily from a thumb drive myself. Currently, I am running that same
                > drive on my desktop system "driving a GPX" prefetching tiles for a trip.
                >
                > Best regards,
                > Fred, N7FMH
                >

                > _____

                APRSIS32 on a thumb drive and everything
                > worked on that. I've been running it almost continuously in an old laptop,
                > here in the shack. I took that thumb drive and moved it to the Win7
                > machine,
                > with internet access, added the file folder for Topo and
                > prefetched a few map tiles. The advantage of moving to the Win7 machine
                > was
                > the ability to multitask and use cut/ paste from the WiKi for the long
                > strings, such as the URL. That sure beats typing by hand on a touch
                > screen.
                > Next I took that thumb drive to the tablet and confirmed all map sets
                > worked
                > running on the thumb drive. next I coppied the whole APRSIS32 folder to
                > the
                > hard drive of the tablet, but in a differant folder than the iteration I
                > had
                > been running on the tablet. Then moved the map tile folders to the new
                > folder, In APRSIS32. I then completed the new-tile-set box using the same
                > name as before. I also checked ABOUT and downloaded the latest release.
                > All
                > done now and running, except for setting up my I/O ports to talk to the
                > blue
                > tooth peripherals.
                >
                > This is probably not the most elegant of solutions, but, it worked.
                >
                > I really think I hosed up the old program. It was REAL sluggish about
                > prefetching. Now with the new iteration running, it seems to be fetching
                > faster and not kicking out of WiFi.
                >
                > Thanks and 73, KC8SFQ Ron

              • KE6BB
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 29, 2013
                  --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, kc8sfq@... wrote:

                  > I'm gaining on this thing a bit at a
                  > time.

                  Excellent way to approach it, Ron.

                  In the later days of my engineering career, I used a very powerful top-end engineering program to do everything from mechanism analysis, to analysis of colliding bodies (e.g. the effects of cam follower liftoff). Initially the thought of learning how to use this very complex package was intimidating. We finally learned to start out small, and learn one new function at a time. We called it "crawl, walk, run."

                  APRSIS32 has become a very powerful program. You will best learn it if you "crawl, walk, and then run" with it.

                  Enjoy it, too.

                  Mark
                  KE6BB