Re: [aprsisce] TNC-X for Raspberry Pi

  • Broncus
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27, 2013
      Isn't this thread OT? :)

      Dire Wolf has interesting options as well:
      http://home.comcast.net/~wb2osz/site/

      Click on DOWNLOAD and there are some PDFs and an an option for a Raspberry Pi.

      It is running locally: http://aprs.fi/?call=WB2OSZ-5

      I am thinking about using it as a TNC/Digipeater in my mobile system to replace my OT2. I might loose the premption feature of the OT2/3. But I can gain APRStt. I don't know yet if UIflood is supported.

      Where I use APRSIS32 as my main control, the OT2 currently can beacon if I re-connect the GPS. It isn't very often that I disconnect APRSIS32 but I do occasionally.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 28 1:22 PM
        I just noticed that there are 2 server ports listed in the development version when you do
        > Configure > Ports >New Port
         1. Local-Server
         2. IS-Server

        The WIKI only lists IS-Server port (but not "Local-Server").

        I've used "Local-Server" before, but is there a difference between the 2 ports?

        I also saw this on 2013/02/13 16:50 release, so I thoguth I'd ask the question to possible clear up any confusion.

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        Message 3 of 6 , May 28 1:41 PM
          A local server is local. Yeah, I know that sounds like a smart-donkey answer but it is.

          If you create a local port, you can flow data to/from another client that might be connected. For example, if you wish to have a second APRSIS32 instance, rather than connect it directly, it can connect to the first instance. There is no reason it couldn't be another APRS client as well. It could also be a special purpose application.

          IS-Server is the connection upstream through the internet to APRS-IS or maybe Firenet.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 28 2:01 PM
            From the 20120525 Release Notes:

            Even though all Server ports are still Development only: Define new "Local Server" that doesn't require (but supports) authentication and filters.  Upon connection, behaves like a "b/*" filter was entered which, in APRSISCE/32's filter implementation, delivers ALL packets out to the connection.  Incoming packets are ignored.  However, if a valid user/pass and filter are supplied, it behaves like an IS-Server port.

            So, an IS-Server port REQUIRES authentication and filters from the client to work.  A Local-Server port supports those, but when/if a client connects, it will immediately begin receiving all packets being received by the server until and unless an authentication and filter are provided.  Packets sent to an unathenticated Local-Server port are also not passed up-stream.

            On 5/28/2013 4:22 PM, Rob Giuliano wrote:
            I just noticed that there are 2 server ports listed in the development version when you do
            > Configure > Ports >New Port
             1. Local-Server
             2. IS-Server

            The WIKI only lists IS-Server port (but not "Local-Server").

            I've used "Local-Server" before, but is there a difference between the 2 ports?

            I also saw this on 2013/02/13 16:50 release, so I thoguth I'd ask the question to possible clear up any confusion.

            Robert Giuliano
            KB8RCO

          • Rob Giuliano
            Message 5 of 6 , May 28 9:27 PM
              Thanks!
              I missed the Release announcements and Release Notes.
              While in Europe, I tried getting e-mail on the YL's Android tablet theough very poor web interface.  I know I deleted some e-mails without knowing it.
              It didn't occur to me there was a new release without notice (that I received) when I updated.

              So, an IS-Server port REQUIRES authentication and filters from the client to work.  A Local-Server port supports those, but when/if a client connects, it will immediately begin receiving all packets being received by the server until and unless an authentication and filter are provided.  Packets sent to an unathenticated Local-Server port are also not passed up-stream. Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32 On 5/28/2013 4:22 PM, Rob Giuliano wrote: