RE: [aprsisce] TINY 2 Setup

  • Adam Mahnke
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 26, 2013
      Fair enough.

      KC2ANT is a Tiny2 being driven by APRSIS32, but I have the config files somewhere for it to run alone as well. If you need them I can forward them.

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: steve@...
      Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:53:31 +0100
      Subject: RE: [aprsisce] TINY 2 Setup

      Seems he is sorted now, although I don’t really believe he is getting the distance North that the paths show.

      Steve Daniels

      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 26, 2013

        He was being told his system was not working, thought it might be a DCD issue.

        What was really happening was he had a coupe of local “experts” telling him that.

        Both were running UI-View with old style RELAY paths, His APRSIS32 system it not setup to digipeat that.

        Anyway all sorted now, with the upshot that at least one station is moving to APRSIS32 .

        To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 26, 2013

          To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 26, 2013

            Yes his system was not digipeating so therefore his system was not working. Lol.

            I remote viewed his system and could see some of what was happening and he seems to be working fine

            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 28, 2013
              Steve are you using the PacComm tiny-2 TNC I have one but I'm having a hard time getting it to work what are you using to hook it to your computer I am using a rs232 to usb cable and mini gender changer but I'm having trouble communicating with the TNC.
              Larry KB8EMD

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 29, 2013

                I Used a Tiny-2 for awhile (well a clone) and used a USB to RS232 converter cable,, had no real problems with it.

                Mine had a DCD conversion on it, such that the TNC checked for data to decide if the channel was in use, rather than squelch.

                APRSIS32 using a KISS port rather then simply KISS will put the TNC into KISS mode. 2 LEDs will flash 3 times when it changes mode.

                That’s configure/ports/new port select the KISS option then set the com port parameters. If it connects ok you will see 2 LEDs on the TNC flash.

                Steve Daniels

                Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                Steve are you using the PacComm tiny-2 TNC I have one but I'm having a hard time getting it to work what are you using to hook it to your computer I am using a rs232 to usb cable and mini gender changer but I'm having trouble communicating with the TNC.
                Larry KB8EMD

                --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Daniels" <steve@...> wrote:

                > Does anyone have the correct setup for a Tiny 2 TNC? I believe it's
                > unmodified, I think the DCD might be causing issues as it does not seem to
                > receive. Going to drive to someones house and try and sort, so info from
                > someone who hs setup a Tiny 2 recently would be good. I don't think I will
                > have a way of connecting a line from DCD to squelch on the radio for a
                > start.
                >
                > To be honest I don't yet know what the issue is, but feel it might be a
                DCD
                > issue
                >

                > Steve Daniels
                >
                > Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
                >
                > Torbay Freecycle Owner

                > APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor
                href="http://aprsisce.wikidot.com">http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

              • Rob Giuliano
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 29, 2013
                  Larry,
                    Typically if a gender changer is required, it is because connection type (pins assigned to TxD and RxD).

                  Male Pins are for the MASTER port:
                     2 - RxD
                     3 - TxD
                     5-Gnd

                  Female Pins are for the slave port (2 & 3 swapped):
                     2 - TxD
                     3 - RxD
                     5-Gnd

                  A gender changer will not swap 2 & 3, so you may need a null modem (crossover) cable to communicate with the Tny-2.

                  Check the documentation and compare pin assignments.

                  Robert Giuliano
                  KB8RCO

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 29, 2013
                    On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:

                    > Male Pins are for the MASTER port:
                    > 2 - RxD
                    > 3 - TxD
                    > 5-Gnd
                    >
                    > Female Pins are for the slave port (2 & 3 swapped):
                    > 2 - TxD
                    > 3 - RxD
                    > 5-Gnd

                    Actually the terms are DTE and DCE, Data Terminal Equipment (The
                    computer) and Data Communication Equipment (TNC).

                    And just to make it nice and easy...

                    25 pin DTE devices transmit on pin 2 and receive on pin 3.
                    25 pin DCE devices transmit on pin 3 and receive on pin 2.
                    9 pin DTE devices transmit on pin 3 and receive on pin 2.
                    9 pin DCE devices transmit on pin 2 and receive on pin 3.

                    Then throw in to the pot, are you talking about the gender of the port
                    on the device or the cable end?

                    On a computer with a DE-9 serial port, you will find the port itself
                    has male pins, and is wired as DTE.

                  • kb8emd
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 5, 2013
                      I received a new correct chip and I can use the CMD command to change mycall what I am thinking if I hook my laptop to the TNC just using a gender changer and I want to watch maps on my laptop while mobile running say aprsis32 that the radio may try to transmit into my laptop on the wrong pin and mess something up I would like any info about that in the mean time I will keep digging
                      Larry KB8EMD

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 5, 2013
                        I know I get confused easy my TNC has a male db9 rs232 as does the new RS232 to USB cable I installed a gender changer (female)on the cable's male pins and plugged the other side of the (female) gender changer into the male pins of the TNC I am able to now set the TNC using the CMD prompt but I want to be able to drive down the road watching Aprsis32 maps on my laptop with the GPS and radio hooked to the TNC like I did 15 years ago any help would be appreciated.
                        Larry KB8EMD

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 5, 2013
                          On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM, kb8emd <larrylb@...> wrote:

                          > I received a new correct chip and I can use the CMD command to change mycall what
                          > I am thinking if I hook my laptop to the TNC just using a gender changer and I want to
                          > watch maps on my laptop while mobile running say aprsis32 that the radio may try to
                          > transmit into my laptop on the wrong pin and mess something up I would like any info
                          > about that in the mean time I will keep digging

                          If you can type commands to the TNC and see the results, then your
                          data communications connections to the TNC are working. It sounds like
                          whoever manufactured the TNC screwed up and put the wrong connector on
                          for the port type. Kenwood did that with the D700.

                          Whatever the case may be, if you can type and it responds, it's working.

                          The radio will never transmit into your computer though. The radio
                          transmits out the antenna port, and unless you connect the antenna
                          port to your computer somehow, that won't happen.

                          The only transmitting into your computer should be from the TNC, and
                          if you swap pins there, you won't blow anything up.

                        • kb8emd
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 10, 2013
                            Thanks I get a null modem cable before hooking back up and see if I can get my PacComm Tiny-2 (not mk2) to work.
                            Larry KB8EMD