Wishlist: Automatic GPX logging

  • asbjorn.hauge
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 23, 2013
      Hi Lynn and the rest of the group.

      I see that you have an option for saving GPX logs for each station which has more than one position (the station have to make at least one track). This is a valuable feature for me in SAR situations, but it requires quite a bit of work to pull off when we have 40 stations to log.

      I haven't found any solution to this so far, so I hope you would be kind enough to listen to my proposal or direct me if the feature is there already :)

      1: Set a filter for calls that should be logged to GPX automatically (for example "LE*" would log all "LE" callsigns). This is a "fire and forget" feature when you don't know the exact callsigns to log, or if you're not by the computer.

      2: Write the logfile for each beacon received (in case of a system failure and the buffer contains 50 unsaved positions).

      3: Save static positions for everything, including objects. This is vital.

      4: (This is a long shot and I understand that the value might be questionable for other people than me): A built in FTP-client that can upload the new GPX files at a set interval.

      I hope this will be possible, as it will help us a lot when we have to document activity in a SAR situation.

      Anyway, thanks for a fantastic program!

      73 de LA1HSA, Asbjørn.
    • Adam Mahnke
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 23, 2013
        Maybe this is a function that could be worked into !Shrieks!
        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:view

        Then you could nickname all the stations that you're interested in with a !Shriek! in the nickname and then enable this sort of thing for that group.

        Just my .02

        Adam
        KC2ANT

        To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 26, 2013
          I don't see how useful that would be for us. Our comments are pre-set to show important telemetry and the trackers aren't easily programmable on the fly.
          A feature to automatically save everything in a GPX (one for each callsign) is what we need. Saving GPX is available as it is, but it has to be 100% automatic and depending on a predefined filter.

          --
          LA1HSA, Asbjoern

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:

          > Maybe this is a function that could be worked into !Shrieks!http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:view
          >
          > Then you could nickname all the stations that you're interested in with a !Shriek! in the nickname and then enable this sort of thing for that group.
          > Just my .02
          > AdamKC2ANT
        • adam_kc2ant
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 26, 2013
            If you read through the shriek section you'll see that you can configure them as part of a nickname, which lets the APRS NCS make custom groups with exactly, and only the stations of interest.

            Adam
            KC2ANT

            I don't see how useful that would be for us. Our comments are pre-set to show important telemetry and the trackers aren't easily programmable on the fly.
            A feature to automatically save everything in a GPX (one for each callsign) is what we need. Saving GPX is available as it is, but it has to be 100% automatic and depending on a predefined filter.

            --
            LA1HSA, Asbjoern

            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:

            > Maybe this is a function that could be worked into !Shrieks!http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:view
            >
            > Then you could nickname all the stations that you're interested in with a !Shriek! in the nickname and then enable this sort of thing for that group.
            > Just my .02
            > AdamKC2ANT

          • asbjorn.hauge
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 26, 2013
              I've read through that section numerous times and I've tried it. While it's a nice way to filter out unwanted callsigns and only show relevant info, I don't see how that would make GPX files without interaction.
              I think we're misunderstanding each other, so please let me put up a scenario - it might clear it up:

              1: In a situation we have to gather all the trackers we can and equip vehicles, say 40 trackers.
              2: All trackers have a "LE" prefix, but we don't know the rest of the callsign.
              3: APRSIS32 is unmanned and have to capture and save all positions from LE-callsigns to a GPX file.
              4: We also need automatic (GPX) logging of all static objects we happen to place or move around the map.

              If there's something !shriek! can do to automate this, I'd love to find out exactly how.

              --
              LA1HSA, Asbjoern.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 26, 2013
                Greetings Asbjoern.

                !shriek! does not do what you are asking for. It does not do logging. The logging feature, Toolbar --> Enables --> Logging, does that and it will not be in the format, GPX, you are requesting.

                To log only those stations and objects with LE-, then a buddy needs to be added to the filter. Now select Toolbar --> Logging --> Buddies.

                Once the event is over, you will need to manage the log with other tools.

                For parsing, I usually start with Excel to break thing into neat little columns and then save as a CSV file. Then I use a real map application (mapping centric, not APRS centric) to import and eventually make the GPX files from the CSV. If you are capable of writing software, you could write a parser that does exactly what you need.

                I rarely use logging myself and I have not parsed an APRSIS32 log but I have done many other logs so I know it can be done. It is just time consuming. You will need to experiment with it to see what can be done.

                To help with the above, read: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/what-am-i-missing

                Now, if you imagine adding your proposed GPX options as simple or easy, read about GPX here first: http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp. Also, use Notepad (or your favorite text editor) and view the actual contents of a GPX file. I learned a lot about how to ask for similar features. Once you can define your need in GPX terms, it may be easier for Lynn to implement. That is still no guarantee the feature may be added, but it can't hurt!

                By the way, one application I use for mapping is ExpertGPS by Topografix. I also have others. I do have money invested in them.

                It is possible that at some point in the future your described features may be added. In the meantime, it looks like you need something now, so I would investigate the logging features as they are.

                I've read through that section numerous times and I've tried it. While it's a nice way to filter out unwanted callsigns and only show relevant info, I don't see how that would make GPX files without interaction.
                I think we're misunderstanding each other, so please let me put up a scenario - it might clear it up:

                1: In a situation we have to gather all the trackers we can and equip vehicles, say 40 trackers.
                2: All trackers have a "LE" prefix, but we don't know the rest of the callsign.
                3: APRSIS32 is unmanned and have to capture and save all positions from LE-callsigns to a GPX file.
                4: We also need automatic (GPX) logging of all static objects we happen to place or move around the map.

                If there's something !shriek! can do to automate this, I'd love to find out exactly how.

                --
                LA1HSA, Asbjoern.

                --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, <kc2ant@...> wrote:

                > If you read through the shriek section you'll see that you can configure them as part of a nickname, which lets the APRS NCS make custom groups with exactly, and only the stations of interest.
                >
                > Adam
                > KC2ANT

              • Adam Mahnke
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 26, 2013
                  I was suggesting that perhaps Lynn meet your request as a part of the Shriek functionality.

                  Adam
                  KC2ANT

                  To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                  I've read through that section numerous times and I've tried it. While it's a nice way to filter out unwanted callsigns and only show relevant info, I don't see how that would make GPX files without interaction.
                  I think we're misunderstanding each other, so please let me put up a scenario - it might clear it up:

                  1: In a situation we have to gather all the trackers we can and equip vehicles, say 40 trackers.
                  2: All trackers have a "LE" prefix, but we don't know the rest of the callsign.
                  3: APRSIS32 is unmanned and have to capture and save all positions from LE-callsigns to a GPX file.
                  4: We also need automatic (GPX) logging of all static objects we happen to place or move around the map.

                  If there's something !shriek! can do to automate this, I'd love to find out exactly how.

                  --
                  LA1HSA, Asbjoern.

                  --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, <kc2ant@...> wrote:

                  > If you read through the shriek section you'll see that you can configure them as part of a nickname, which lets the APRS NCS make custom groups with exactly, and only the stations of interest.
                  >
                  > Adam
                  > KC2ANT

                • asbjorn.hauge
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 24, 2013
                    Hi Lynn - and group.

                    Not sure if you've seen this, but do you think this could be a feature you can implement?

                    This functionality would simplify the reporting a whole lot for us.

                    Thanks in advance :)

                    --
                    73 de LA1HSA, Asbjørn.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 24, 2013
                      On 4/23/2013 2:04 PM, asbjorn.hauge wrote:
                      > I see that you have an option for saving GPX logs for each station which has more than one position (the station have to make at least one track). This is a valuable feature for me in SAR situations, but it requires quite a bit of work to pull off when we have 40 stations to log.

                      True 'nuff.

                      > I haven't found any solution to this so far, so I hope you would be kind enough to listen to my proposal or direct me if the feature is there already :)
                      >
                      > 1: Set a filter for calls that should be logged to GPX automatically (for example "LE*" would log all "LE" callsigns). This is a "fire and forget" feature when you don't know the exact callsigns to log, or if you're not by the computer.

                      So, you're envisioning one new filter configuration that will basically
                      automatically set the "Auto-Save Future Track Changes" for every station
                      that matches the filter? Even if that station never moves?

                      > 2: Write the logfile for each beacon received (in case of a system failure and the buffer contains 50 unsaved positions).

                      The current Auto-Save does this. It recreates the file and writes the
                      entire current track and closes the file. It would be nice to just
                      append to the file, but the GPX (and indeed, all XML-based formats)
                      doesn't make that easy because there's closing tags that would have to
                      be overwritten and rewritten at the new end of file.

                      Given your apparent concern for capturing all data, it might be better
                      if the program renamed the current file, wrote the new file, and then
                      deleted the renamed old file?

                      Note that the GPX file names are named based on the callsign and the
                      timestamp of the first posit in the track, so if you clear tracks on
                      any/all stations part way through an event, the old saved tracks will
                      still be there and each station will get a new track on their next
                      movement timestamped in the file name based on when that movement occurred.

                      > 3: Save static positions for everything, including objects. This is vital.

                      But only those matching the #1 filter, correct? Otherwise you're asking
                      for LOTS of little tiny GPX files!

                      > 4: (This is a long shot and I understand that the value might be questionable for other people than me): A built in FTP-client that can upload the new GPX files at a set interval.

                      Not happening. There are 3rd party tools that can monitor a directory
                      of files and mirror them to remote sites via any number of mechanisms on
                      a timer or changed basis. I don't need to implement this particular
                      blade of the non-APRS swiss army knife of functionality.

                      > I hope this will be possible, as it will help us a lot when we have to document activity in a SAR situation.

                      Everything is possible, given enough time to implement. These are good
                      ideas that I'll add to the ToDo list and consider for implementation.

                      > Anyway, thanks for a fantastic program!

                      You're welcome. I'm glad you're finding it useful in the current
                      incarnation!