Re: [aprsisce] some observations and a slew of questions and a request

  • Bob Harris
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 21 11:09 AM
      Check out the following for topos.

      <TileServer Name="USGS Topos">
      <Server>services.arcgisonline.com</Server>
      <Port>80</Port>
      <URLPrefix>/ArcGIS/rest/services/USA_Topo_Maps/MapServer/tile/%z/%y/%x.jpg </URLPrefix>
      <SupportsStatus>0</SupportsStatus>
      <Path>C:/APRSIS32/USGS Topo/</Path>
      <PurgeEnabled>0</PurgeEnabled>
      On 4/21/2013 10:39 AM, kc8sfq@... wrote:

      For a good TOPO server, I night even be convinced to do the "R" thing (pay retail)

      --

      BobHarris (K9UDX)
      Bath, NH

    • Thomas Hole
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 21 11:42 AM
        Hi Bob, Where do I find the location to do this through the menu? Or do I need to edit the xml file?
        On Apr 21, 2013, at 1:09 PM, Bob Harris <knineudx@...> wrote:

        Check out the following for topos.

        <TileServer Name="USGS Topos">
        <Server>services.arcgisonline.com</Server>
        <Port>80</Port>
        <URLPrefix>/ArcGIS/rest/services/USA_Topo_Maps/MapServer/tile/%z/%y/%x.jpg </URLPrefix>
        <SupportsStatus>0</SupportsStatus>
        <Path>C:/APRSIS32/USGS Topo/</Path>
        <PurgeEnabled>0</PurgeEnabled>
        On 4/21/2013 10:39 AM, kc8sfq@... wrote:

        For a good TOPO server, I night even be convinced to do the "R" thing (pay retail)

        --

        <moose.gif>

        BobHarris (K9UDX)
        Bath, NH

      • Bob Harris

        Message 4 of 13 , Apr 21 12:05 PM
          I use a free program called Maperitive to generate tile sets for APRSIS32. Once the tiles are dumped to my local hard drive I simply move them to the OSMTILES directory created by APRSIS32. I then disable OSM tile fetching. I have downloaded a large area so I can use the program without need of the internet.

          links : http://maperitive.net/

          Its not the easiest program to use but can be figured out.

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, kc8sfq@... wrote:

> [...]
          > don't.
          >
          > I have Screen->paths-.> Me (packet), enabled. Am I
          > correct that the orange line is is showing the ACK's coming back for my
          > outgoing packet? There are more lines there than I expected to see. This
          > setting is helpful to me as it shows where I was when the packet was
          > ACK'd. There can be quite a delay in that chain, however, thus the request
          > above.
          >
          > Has the mapquest Aerial tile set gone away? I get the
          > yellow circle, but no images, it seems to not download anything. I tried
          > ArcGIS topo but got nothin' there. I suspect that to be a pay service,
          > though, and I have not.. On the tablet I use for mobile, I have to type
          > the URL's and such by hand, on a touch screen. Thus can not rule out
          > "fatfinger syndrome" for any mistakes. Just to prove to my self
          > that I could do it, I'm currently downloading the tiles of interest
          > locally in the Midnight Commander flavour.
          >
          > For a good TOPO
          > server, I night even be convinced to do the "R" thing (pay
          > retail)
          >
          > I went to the CloudMade web site. It looks like I need
          > to pay there too. Even at that, $25 for a million tiles is still not a bad
          > deal. I am unlikely to use that many in FOREVER. I see that we use some
          > Cloudmade tile sets. Is that something Lynn as, the developer, had to pay
          > for us?
          >
          > Could someone please point me at the wiki where it
          > deals with dumping tile sets, which either didn't work, or I've decided I
          > don't like? I have gone into the file where the data was to go. I deleted
          > that file. I then went to Configure->Tile sets, clicked on the set I
          > want to ditch and selected Flush. However, it is still lists under
          > Screen-> Tile sets. How do I clear it out of the list? (XML?)
          >
          > How does panning and zooming with perger set to OFF, differ from
          > prefetching? Both make an expanding yellow circle.
          >
          > I have
          > been panning and zooming along an intended route then prefetching. Very
          > tedious. I guess I'm going to need some help with the "drive a
          > GPX" thing. I can load a GPX and it paints a nice red line on the
          > map. I found, in the archives, that I must name the GPX. I have as yet to
          > find instructions on how or when to do that. Can it be done retroactively?
          > I think Lynn posted that Status should be on, but that doesn't seem to
          > create anything that looks like a name aside from the date/time file-name
          > thingie. I also have Enables-> Auto save GPX toggled ON. Should I
          > have?
          >
          > I noticed a message that said: deleting GPX traces
          > "leaks memory" but there must be a drip pan on the bottom of the
          > tablet. I haven't seen any of it leaking out of the machine.
          >
          > if
          > I can get the "drive a GPX" thing to work for my un- computer
          > mind, I'll write up another of those "Every Darn Click Almost"
          > things and post it here. (any one use those?)

        • kc8sfq
          Message 5 of 13 , Apr 27 10:45 AM
            This Maperitive looks like a cool program. Might be above my head though. I'm still trying to get APRSIS32 to load and use the Topo GIS stuff. I'm sure it is, once again, something simple that I don't know, and have as yet not figured out on my own.

            I seem to get everything I should expect as far as prompt windows (really fetch 1275 tiles) I tell it yes, and I get the yellow expanding circle. I don't get TOPO at that level though. The topo seems to be one zoom level closer than I prefetched. As I zoom out, the topo goes away and I have the mapnic (original) set again. Also The topos seem to have replaced my original set and my topo tile set and my original tile set seem to be exactly the same tiles, a mix of mapnic and GIS topo. I had prefetching down cold until I tried for a topo set. What I see of the topo, I love, it is just what I have been looking for, but I want my original set too.

            I guess, it's time to walk away for a while and go work on an old truck where the use of a hammer IS authorized.

            73, KC8SFQ
            ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

            Message 6 of 13 , Apr 27 7:12 PM
              On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM, <kc8sfq@...> wrote:

              > As I zoom out, the topo goes away and I have the
              > mapnic (original) set again. Also The topos seem to have replaced my
              > original set and my topo tile set and my original tile set seem to be
              > exactly the same tiles, a mix of mapnic and GIS topo.

              So there's your answer right there...

              You are saving the topo tiles in the same directory as your Mapnic files.

              Follow the instructions on the wiki for setting up alternate tile
              sets, and pay close attention to WHERE you put the tiles on your
              computer. The tiles all share the same naming convention, so if you
              put all your tiles in one directory, you're going to get a patchwork
              quilt.

              Save each set in a unique directory and they will stay separate.

            • kc8sfq
              Message 7 of 13 , Apr 28 9:43 AM

                Hi James,
                I thought I had it right. It is becoming obvious that I hosed something on the tablet. I tried prefetching on another machine, using (i think) the same settings and IT'S working. The plan now is to prefetch on this machine and then transfer the whole shootin' match to the tablet, newer version of the program and all.

                Now, this brings another question: If (on the tablet) I move the
                un-contaminated map files to the new directory (the one where the "whole shootin match" will go) then, after moving the program, go to CONFIGURE-> TILE SET-> NEW TILE SET and create a "new tile set" with that same name, should APRSIS32 be able to use then just as if I had used APRSIS32 to prefetch them. I have a couple of big libraries of tiles I'd hate to have to recreate from scratch.

                Can I move just the files, or is there a "loader file" I'll need too ("OSM tiles maybe")

                Thanks for the help KC8SFQ  Ron
                +++++++++++++++++++++

                Message 8 of 13 , Apr 28 10:56 AM
                  On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM, <kc8sfq@...> wrote:

                  > I thought I had it right. It is becoming obvious that I hosed something on
                  > the tablet. I tried prefetching on another machine, using (i think) the same
                  > settings and IT'S working. The plan now is to prefetch on this machine and
                  > then transfer the whole shootin' match to the tablet, newer version of the
                  > program and all.

                  There's no need to do all that. There's no black magic involved here.
                  Just point the program on the tablet at the proper directory. When you
                  create a new tile set, and it asks you to locate where the tile set is
                  supposed to be on your machine, just make a new directory, and click
                  okay.

                  Pay attention to your file structure. Make a new directory for each
                  tile set and you're fine.

                  > Now, this brings another question: If (on the tablet) I move the
                  > un-contaminated map files to the new directory (the one where the "whole
                  > shootin match" will go) then, after moving the program, go to CONFIGURE->
                  > TILE SET-> NEW TILE SET and create a "new tile set" with that same name,
                  > should APRSIS32 be able to use then just as if I had used APRSIS32 to
                  > prefetch them. I have a couple of big libraries of tiles I'd hate to have to
                  > recreate from scratch.

                  I'd go the other way... I'd tell APRSISCE/32 to make the tile sets
                  configurations, and directories first, and then move all the files
                  from the source into the directory. That way I have confirmation that
                  I made the tile directory structure properly. It's easier to spot
                  mistakes on a fresh canvas than it is to try and spot a mistake on a
                  directory structure that is filled with files.

                  > Can I move just the files, or is there a "loader file" I'll need too ("OSM
                  > tiles maybe")

                  Go browse the tile directories... have a look, what do you see? You're
                  not going to break anything just looking at them. The tiles are just
                  little images. Little squares of maps that APRSISCE/32 pulls up as
                  required and drops on the screen. Moving the tile directories is like
                  copying any other file. Copy from where you find it, and paste it
                  where you want it.

                  Just grab the root folder of the file repository, and all the
                  subfolders and included tiles will move.

                • kc8sfq
                  Message 9 of 13 , Apr 28 2:11 PM

                    Hi again James,
                    Done and done. I have a copy of APRSIS32 on a thumb drive and everything worked on that. I've been running it almost continuously in an old laptop, here in the shack. I took that thumb drive and moved it to the Win7 machine, with internet access, added the file folder for Topo and
                    prefetched a few map tiles. The advantage of moving to the Win7 machine was the ability to multitask and use cut/ paste  from the WiKi for the long strings, such as the URL. That sure beats typing by hand on a touch screen. Next I took that thumb drive to the tablet and confirmed all map sets worked running on the thumb drive. next I coppied the whole APRSIS32 folder to the hard drive of the tablet, but in a differant folder than the iteration I had been running on the tablet. Then moved the map tile folders to the new folder, In APRSIS32. I then completed the new-tile-set box using the same name as before. I also checked ABOUT and downloaded the latest release. All done now and running, except for setting up my I/O ports to talk to the blue tooth peripherals.

                    This is probably not the most elegant of solutions, but, it worked.

                    I really think I hosed up the old program. It was REAL sluggish about prefetching. Now with the new iteration running, it seems to be fetching faster and not kicking out of WiFi.

                    Thanks and 73, KC8SFQ  Ron

                    Message 10 of 13 , Apr 29 6:23 AM
                      Hi Ron,

                      If you are prefetching onto a thumb drive, it will be more sluggish than if you are writing to your hard drive. The write cycle on the thumb drive is much much longer.

                      I run daily from a thumb drive myself. Currently, I am running that same drive on my desktop system "driving a GPX" prefetching tiles for a trip.

                      Message 11 of 13 , Apr 29 9:35 AM
                        Hi Fred
                        You wrote:

                        > If you are prefetching onto a thumb drive

                        I was, but just enough to load a hand full of tiles. I wanted to take minimum time loading data to the tablet. I needed just enough to satisfy my self that I hadn't hosed something up AGAIN. It looks as if I'm up and running with the tablet, at least to the level I was before the Topo problem. Plus, I now have topo running in addition to cycle, original and midnight command. I am now reloading Original, a bit at a time. My other copy of that tile set was so messed up that I flushed it. I did, however, save my second biggest set, cycle.

                        I could sure use some help with the "drive a GPX" though. The wiki has a nice dissertation on how to make a GPX in Google Maps and get it to APRSIS32. My problem is: While I can load a GPX from a previous trip,  the only time I have seen a menu containing "Drive GPX" is when I am multi-tracking someone else. I also found in the archives that I must name a GPX before I can drive it. Not a clue on that one. Once I figure it out, I'll write up a step-by-step for someone coming along behind me.

                        Anyway, I'm gaining on this thing a bit at a time. I took a little road trip this morning and I can see I'm going to love the Topo tile set.

                        73 KC8SFQ  Ron

                        , it will be more sluggish than
                        > if
                        > you are writing to your hard drive. The write cycle on the thumb drive is
                        > much much longer.
                        >
                        > I run daily from a thumb drive myself. Currently, I am running that same
                        > drive on my desktop system "driving a GPX" prefetching tiles for a trip.
                        >
                        > Best regards,
                        > Fred, N7FMH
                        >

                        > _____

                        APRSIS32 on a thumb drive and everything
                        > worked on that. I've been running it almost continuously in an old laptop,
                        > here in the shack. I took that thumb drive and moved it to the Win7
                        > machine,
                        > with internet access, added the file folder for Topo and
                        > prefetched a few map tiles. The advantage of moving to the Win7 machine
                        > was
                        > the ability to multitask and use cut/ paste from the WiKi for the long
                        > strings, such as the URL. That sure beats typing by hand on a touch
                        > screen.
                        > Next I took that thumb drive to the tablet and confirmed all map sets
                        > worked
                        > running on the thumb drive. next I coppied the whole APRSIS32 folder to
                        > the
                        > hard drive of the tablet, but in a differant folder than the iteration I
                        > had
                        > been running on the tablet. Then moved the map tile folders to the new
                        > folder, In APRSIS32. I then completed the new-tile-set box using the same
                        > name as before. I also checked ABOUT and downloaded the latest release.
                        > All
                        > done now and running, except for setting up my I/O ports to talk to the
                        > blue
                        > tooth peripherals.
                        >
                        > This is probably not the most elegant of solutions, but, it worked.
                        >
                        > I really think I hosed up the old program. It was REAL sluggish about
                        > prefetching. Now with the new iteration running, it seems to be fetching
                        > faster and not kicking out of WiFi.
                        >
                        > Thanks and 73, KC8SFQ Ron

                      • KE6BB
                        Message 12 of 13 , Apr 29 10:17 AM
                          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, kc8sfq@... wrote:

                          > I'm gaining on this thing a bit at a
                          > time.

                          Excellent way to approach it, Ron.

                          In the later days of my engineering career, I used a very powerful top-end engineering program to do everything from mechanism analysis, to analysis of colliding bodies (e.g. the effects of cam follower liftoff). Initially the thought of learning how to use this very complex package was intimidating. We finally learned to start out small, and learn one new function at a time. We called it "crawl, walk, run."

                          APRSIS32 has become a very powerful program. You will best learn it if you "crawl, walk, and then run" with it.

                          Enjoy it, too.

                          Mark
                          KE6BB