Re: APRS.FI not showing my location???

  • bruce_zip
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
      Yes AF8F-9 is my car.

      > At this link, I see that -1 were heard back on 4/12. Have you changed
      > anything since then?
      >
      > http://aprs.fi/info/a/K8YSE-10
      >
      > Your -9 was heard.
      > AF8F-9 <http://aprs.fi/info/a/AF8F-9> 16 2013-04-04 17:11:26
      > 2013-04-15 15:06:36 EN91GD <http://aprs.fi/#%21addr=EN91GD> > EN91DH
      > <http://aprs.fi/#%21addr=EN91DH> 16.2 miles 130° 2013-04-13
      > 12:00:55
      >
      > And you are certainly close enough
      > AF8F-9 <http://aprs.fi/info/a/AF8F-9> 2.0 miles 57° 2013-04-18
      > 12:55:05 AF8F-1 <http://aprs.fi/info/a/AF8F-1> 2.0
      > miles 53° 2013-04-12 17:08:23
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Fred, N7FMH
      >

      > _____

    • bruce_zip
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
        Yes I am hitting iGates, but they do not go out to the internet.

        > It looks like an IGate is close enough.
        >

        > _____

      • Tony VE6MVP
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
          At 02:55 PM 2013-04-18, bruce_zip wrote:

          APRS.FI and FINDU.COM are not showing the location that I am transmitting from home. This using Firefox 20.0.1 and IE 10.0.92.

          Using APRSIS32 I can see my beacons digipeating WIDE thru several different digipeaters and iGates, but none of them iGate out to the internet. I've tried several different configurations but none of them work.

          Here is my transmit log:
          AF8F-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:@153332h4119.93N/08141.28WyAPRS-IS for Win32

          Can anyone tell me why this is not working?

          Reposting my reply in the APRS mailing list with some minor edits.

          How about your receive log? You should be able to receive your
          packets which nearby digipeaters have seen and have
          digipeated. Those packets should have the digi station ID in the
          path along with a *.

          You should also be able to see your vehicles packets when you drive around the block.

          KB8WOQ-1 is close enough that you should easily be able to see that
          stations digipeated packets. You should also be seeing lots of other
          packets too as you have lots of nearby APRS stations within 10
          kms. (I'm lucky if there are any mobile stations within 50 kms and
          only three regular mobile stations, including me, within 150km)

          In addition the APRSIS infrastructure should be seeing your position
          beacons even though they will be directly via TCP-IP. And I don't
          see any there. An example can be found at http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=K8YSE-6.

          Tony
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
            On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM, bruce_zip <af8f@...> wrote:

            > Yes I am hitting iGates, but they do not go out to the internet.

            How are you sure that you are hitting the i-gates? Are you in contact
            with these i-gate operators, and they have physically inspected their
            RX logs and have confirmed that your packets are being received and
            decoded?

            That's the only way I know of verifying that the i-gates are getting
            the packets if they aren't passing the packets to the APRS-IS.

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 19, 2013
              Can we roll this thread back to the beginning? Bruce, please describe
              your station:

              1) Do you have an APRS-IS connection? Does it say "APRS-IS OK" in the
              upper left status pane?

              2) Do you have an RF port configured? If so, what type? Is it both
              receiving (* stations in the scroller) and transmitting (transmitter
              keys up when you hit the Transmit menu option)?

              3) What is your Configure / General / Path specification?

              4) What is it that you expect to see that you're not seeing?

              5) What is it that you don't expect to see that you are seeing?

              6) What parts of your station are working as you expect them to?

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 19, 2013
                Sorry guys. My bad.

                Apparently the audio wire from my TNC to the radio broke. I should stop using solid ethernet wire and instead use stranded.

                So my radio was in fact transmitting but with no packets.

                And I misinterpreted the lines between stations in APRSIS32 to mean my transmitted signal and digipeats, when they are in fact received signals.

                Thank all of you for trying. Please accept my apology.

                73

                > Can we roll this thread back to the beginning? Bruce, please describe
                > your station:
                >
                > 1) Do you have an APRS-IS connection? Does it say "APRS-IS OK" in the
                > upper left status pane?
                >
                > 2) Do you have an RF port configured? If so, what type? Is it both
                > receiving (* stations in the scroller) and transmitting (transmitter
                > keys up when you hit the Transmit menu option)?
                >
                > 3) What is your Configure / General / Path specification?
                >
                > 4) What is it that you expect to see that you're not seeing?
                >
                > 5) What is it that you don't expect to see that you are seeing?
                >
                > 6) What parts of your station are working as you expect them to?

                > On 4/19/2013 1:04 AM, James Ewen wrote:
                > > On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM, bruce_zip <af8f@...> wrote:
                > >
                > >> Yes I am hitting iGates, but they do not go out to the internet.
                > > How are you sure that you are hitting the i-gates? Are you in contact
                > > with these i-gate operators, and they have physically inspected their
                > > RX logs and have confirmed that your packets are being received and
                > > decoded?
                > >
                > > That's the only way I know of verifying that the i-gates are getting
                > > the packets if they aren't passing the packets to the APRS-IS.

              • Broncus
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 19, 2013
                  No problem! That has happened to probably everyone at one time or another.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 20, 2013
                    At 04:51 PM 2013-04-19, bruce_zip wrote:

                    No need at all to apologize.  We helped steer you in the right direction so we'll take some credit.  <smile>

                    And I can see how the lines could be confusing until you understand all the details on how the screens work and the scrollers.

                    Tony