APRS.FI not showing my location???

  • bruce_zip
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
      APRS.FI and FINDU.COM are not showing the location that I am transmitting from home. This using Firefox 20.0.1 and IE 10.0.92.

      Using APRSIS32 I can see my beacons digipeating WIDE thru several different digipeaters and iGates, but none of them iGate out to the internet. I've tried several different configurations but none of them work.

      Here is my transmit log:
      AF8F-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:@153332h4119.93N/08141.28WyAPRS-IS for Win32

      Can anyone tell me why this is not working?

      How does an iGate qualify a packet for gating?

      Thank you for your help.

      Bruce AF8F
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
        Do you have a valid passcode entered in Configure / General? See
        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:passcode

        If you have the default of -1 there, then you're not authenticated to
        the APRS-IS server.

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
          Wait, I just read this more closely and realized that you're
          transmitting via RF? Then it's an issue with the IGates that are
          receiving your beacons (assuming at least one is) that aren't gating the
          received packet to the APRS-IS.

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
            The log says "this is what I have done". But, it has no way to know the rest of the connection is good. Without a radio, it will still be in the log but nothing will happen.

            How do you know it is transmitting?
            Is the indicator on the radio showing transmit?
            Do you hear it with another radio?
            Have you set the deviation on the radio?

            You should have all three.

            Next, are you in range of an IGate?

            If the PC is connected to the internet, enable APRS-IS and at least your position will go directly. We can then have idea of your location and maybe help answer the last question.

            Or, are you receiving other stations nearby that are showing up online?

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
              It looks like an IGate is close enough.

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                At this link, I see that -1 were heard back on 4/12. Have you changed anything since then?

                Your -9 was heard.
                AF8F-9162013-04-04 17:11:262013-04-15 15:06:36EN91GD > EN91DH16.2 miles 130°2013-04-13 12:00:55

                And you are certainly close enough
                AF8F-92.0 miles 57°2013-04-18 12:55:05AF8F-12.0 miles 53°2013-04-12 17:08:23

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                  Yes AF8F-9 is my car.

                  > At this link, I see that -1 were heard back on 4/12. Have you changed
                  > anything since then?
                  >
                  > http://aprs.fi/info/a/K8YSE-10
                  >
                  > Your -9 was heard.
                  > AF8F-9 <http://aprs.fi/info/a/AF8F-9> 16 2013-04-04 17:11:26
                  > 2013-04-15 15:06:36 EN91GD <http://aprs.fi/#%21addr=EN91GD> > EN91DH
                  > <http://aprs.fi/#%21addr=EN91DH> 16.2 miles 130° 2013-04-13
                  > 12:00:55
                  >
                  > And you are certainly close enough
                  > AF8F-9 <http://aprs.fi/info/a/AF8F-9> 2.0 miles 57° 2013-04-18
                  > 12:55:05 AF8F-1 <http://aprs.fi/info/a/AF8F-1> 2.0
                  > miles 53° 2013-04-12 17:08:23
                  >
                  > Best regards,
                  > Fred, N7FMH
                  >

                  > _____

                • bruce_zip
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                    Yes I am hitting iGates, but they do not go out to the internet.

                    > It looks like an IGate is close enough.
                    >

                    > _____

                  • Tony VE6MVP
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                      At 02:55 PM 2013-04-18, bruce_zip wrote:

                      APRS.FI and FINDU.COM are not showing the location that I am transmitting from home. This using Firefox 20.0.1 and IE 10.0.92.

                      Using APRSIS32 I can see my beacons digipeating WIDE thru several different digipeaters and iGates, but none of them iGate out to the internet. I've tried several different configurations but none of them work.

                      Here is my transmit log:
                      AF8F-1>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:@153332h4119.93N/08141.28WyAPRS-IS for Win32

                      Can anyone tell me why this is not working?

                      Reposting my reply in the APRS mailing list with some minor edits.

                      How about your receive log? You should be able to receive your
                      packets which nearby digipeaters have seen and have
                      digipeated. Those packets should have the digi station ID in the
                      path along with a *.

                      You should also be able to see your vehicles packets when you drive around the block.

                      KB8WOQ-1 is close enough that you should easily be able to see that
                      stations digipeated packets. You should also be seeing lots of other
                      packets too as you have lots of nearby APRS stations within 10
                      kms. (I'm lucky if there are any mobile stations within 50 kms and
                      only three regular mobile stations, including me, within 150km)

                      In addition the APRSIS infrastructure should be seeing your position
                      beacons even though they will be directly via TCP-IP. And I don't
                      see any there. An example can be found at http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=K8YSE-6.

                      Tony
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                        On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM, bruce_zip <af8f@...> wrote:

                        > Yes I am hitting iGates, but they do not go out to the internet.

                        How are you sure that you are hitting the i-gates? Are you in contact
                        with these i-gate operators, and they have physically inspected their
                        RX logs and have confirmed that your packets are being received and
                        decoded?

                        That's the only way I know of verifying that the i-gates are getting
                        the packets if they aren't passing the packets to the APRS-IS.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 19, 2013
                          Can we roll this thread back to the beginning? Bruce, please describe
                          your station:

                          1) Do you have an APRS-IS connection? Does it say "APRS-IS OK" in the
                          upper left status pane?

                          2) Do you have an RF port configured? If so, what type? Is it both
                          receiving (* stations in the scroller) and transmitting (transmitter
                          keys up when you hit the Transmit menu option)?

                          3) What is your Configure / General / Path specification?

                          4) What is it that you expect to see that you're not seeing?

                          5) What is it that you don't expect to see that you are seeing?

                          6) What parts of your station are working as you expect them to?

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 19, 2013
                            Sorry guys. My bad.

                            Apparently the audio wire from my TNC to the radio broke. I should stop using solid ethernet wire and instead use stranded.

                            So my radio was in fact transmitting but with no packets.

                            And I misinterpreted the lines between stations in APRSIS32 to mean my transmitted signal and digipeats, when they are in fact received signals.

                            Thank all of you for trying. Please accept my apology.

                            73

                            > Can we roll this thread back to the beginning? Bruce, please describe
                            > your station:
                            >
                            > 1) Do you have an APRS-IS connection? Does it say "APRS-IS OK" in the
                            > upper left status pane?
                            >
                            > 2) Do you have an RF port configured? If so, what type? Is it both
                            > receiving (* stations in the scroller) and transmitting (transmitter
                            > keys up when you hit the Transmit menu option)?
                            >
                            > 3) What is your Configure / General / Path specification?
                            >
                            > 4) What is it that you expect to see that you're not seeing?
                            >
                            > 5) What is it that you don't expect to see that you are seeing?
                            >
                            > 6) What parts of your station are working as you expect them to?

                            > On 4/19/2013 1:04 AM, James Ewen wrote:
                            > > On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM, bruce_zip <af8f@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > >> Yes I am hitting iGates, but they do not go out to the internet.
                            > > How are you sure that you are hitting the i-gates? Are you in contact
                            > > with these i-gate operators, and they have physically inspected their
                            > > RX logs and have confirmed that your packets are being received and
                            > > decoded?
                            > >
                            > > That's the only way I know of verifying that the i-gates are getting
                            > > the packets if they aren't passing the packets to the APRS-IS.

                          • Broncus
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 19, 2013
                              No problem! That has happened to probably everyone at one time or another.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 20, 2013
                                At 04:51 PM 2013-04-19, bruce_zip wrote:

                                No need at all to apologize.  We helped steer you in the right direction so we'll take some credit.  <smile>

                                And I can see how the lines could be confusing until you understand all the details on how the screens work and the scrollers.

                                Tony