RE: [aprsisce] Using APRSis32 and a GPS.

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 15 1:03 PM

      From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Adam Mahnke
      Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 15:57
      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [aprsisce] Using APRSis32 and a GPS.

      Well that would be why my PN-40 doesn't work then. :)

      I'll just keep chugging along as is, Garmin for APRS and DeLorme for Geocaching :)

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: kj4erj@...
      Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:50:32 -0400

      If by "DeLorme" you mean one of their GPSes, you have to install their NMEA converter driver which, unfortunately, doesn't work on 64bit Windows.  Otherwise, it works.

      Alternatively, just pick up one of DeLorme's Bluetooth models.  They burp out NMEA native across the Bluetooth SPP (Serial Port Profile) connection which I've used successfully with a direct Bluetooth connection from APRSISCE/32.

      If by "DeLorme" you mean sharing a GPS between StreetAtlas and APRSISCE/32 (which is what I was referring to below for routing), you need to use a 3rd party serial port sharing application to accomplish that.

      On 4/15/2013 3:37 PM, Adam Mahnke wrote:
      Has anyone actually had luck feeding DeLorme into APRSIS32? last I knew it couldn't be done. Unless I missed something.

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: kj4erj@...
      Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:15:37 -0400

      By "right", I suspect Fred actually means a dedicated automotive GPS that is designed for turn-by-turn directions.  Alternatively you could install something like DeLorme's Street Atlas on your laptop to get turn-by-turn and share the GPS with APRSISCE/32.

      APRSISCE/32 is an APRS client that currently OpenStreetMap-generated map tiles as a background.  Your eye may see roads on the map, but APRSISCE/32 only sees colored bitmaps.  There is no routing capability when using map tiles.

      Eventually I hope to build my own OSM data rendering into the client and at some point beyond that build some routing capability, but currently that requires a bunch of pre-processing to optimize the data for routing.  Even the open efforts in that direction require days of processing of the raw data before it can be used by the routing engines under development.  And of course, I'll expect the entire set of software to work on a 400MHz Xscale-based smart phone!

      On 4/15/2013 1:40 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
      The right GPS can but not APRSISCE/32.

      If you need a turn by turn, and can work it out in advance, read:

      In a nutshell, you can import tracks, which can be highlighted. Then you can follow them. But it does take some planning before venturing out.

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 15 1:17 PM
          Yeah, but "The DeLorme Serial Emulator" is the device driver that, last time I checked, was not signed and did not support 64 bit Windows.

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 15 1:45 PM
            I'm confused.
            Is the fact the driver "is unsigned" the reason it doesn't work?
               If that is the case, I would say it is 64-bit Windows that does not support the driver, not the driver not supporting 64-bt Windows.

            Robert Giuliano
            KB8RCO

            Yeah, but "The DeLorme Serial Emulator" is the device driver that, last time I checked, was not signed and did not support 64 bit Windows. Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32 On 4/15/2013 4:03 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

            Can APRSis32 and a GPS unit setup will it give me direction from point A to point B turn by turn. ? or doen just track me from point A to where ever I go, and send my GPS over 144.39 if it was connected to my 2m radio D710.

            Thanks Russell NC5O

            " IN GOD WE TRUST "  " Skype-Russell.Blair "
            "God's law is set in stone..everything else is negotiable."
          • George D. Nincehelser