Problem

  • ltdoc
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
      I had to re-install the program and I have a problem. There is only one station showing up on the screen, my mobile in the yard. Nothing else via RF, that's with a local digi, and where before the re-install there were gobs of stations. I've checked ports and there are signals heard on the radio but nothing is showing up. What the devil have I missed??
      - 'Doc
    • Adam Mahnke
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
        Check your view menu. Make sure that 'All' is selected

        Adam
        KC2ANT

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
          Also, in the upper right corner, is it saying "APRS-IS OK"?  Or is it an RF-only station?

          Is the digi down for some reason?

          Are there stations showing up in the packet scroller pane that aren't on the map?

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
            Lynn,
            Yes, it is an RF only set up, and the "name-of-the-port is Okay". To the best of my knowledge the local digi is working as it should be, and there are a number of other digi's within range that are also working.

            This morning, there are a few stations appearing on APRSIS32 but still none on a 'UI-View' that is also running (both connected to the same sound-card TNC). There's another mobile APRS station that's always running in town, maybe 2 miles from me, that isn't showing up.
            I have a feeling that it isn't 'strictly' a problem with APRSIS32, or UI-View, but maybe with the receiver used for that RF input. I've tried three different receivers, same results, so think that's a possibility but not very likely (if that makes sense).

            Maybe I should have put this at the beginning...
            I've been using a version of the program dated from 2012 and just updated to the newest version. It's gone through the 'setup' process and from what I can tell it's working properly. (Or I've screwed up somewhere?) I really find it odd that there's nothing showing except my mobile less than 20 yards away from this computer. One thing is that it could be a huge lack of propagation but I find that hard to believe. I've got to be missing something somewhere.
            - 'Doc

            PS - Even swapped out the cord from receiver to sound card input.
            Sometimes, I just really love this computer ****!
          • ltdoc
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
              Another 'PS'

              That 'APRS-down' is in the center of the screen, not the right corner. Does that mean anything? Same for the 'name-of-the-port is Okay' thingy.

              gonna run out of booze pretty soon... already out of aspirin.
            • Rob Giuliano
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                It appears you are using a sound card TNC.  Can you monitor that directly?
                   AGW has an App called AGWMonitor.   UZ7HO and others tend to have that built in.

                Is the soundcard modem decoding the signals, but they aren't getting to APRSIS32?

                Robert Giuliano
                KB8RCO

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                  If it's not showing up on ARPSIS32 and also not showing up on UI-View,
                  then it must be in the tuning of the sound card receiver or just a
                  dramatic lack of signals. That's why I asked about the digipeater health.

                  Have you listened to 144.390 and watched the SoundCard modem? Which
                  soundcard modem are you using?

                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                    I'm talking about #27 in
                    http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:screen-elements. The actual location of
                    the pane depends on your screen orientation as well as whether or not
                    there's a GPS active.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                      Lynn and all,
                      I hate to say it but I've found my 'problem'. I have three separate antenna systems for VHF (2 meters) and have found that the one used for receiving APRS is bad. Always something 'simple' that just -couldn't- be a problem, isn't it? Think I'll go drowned my self in booze...
                      Thanks for the efforts and sorry for the inconveniences.
                      - 'Doc
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                        If you have ran out of aspirin, forego the booze!