HTC Touch Pro 2 issues and verizon wireless

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 4 11:45 AM
      Ok, just managed to load the app and it seems to startup fine. I have an unlimited plan for data it seems to load the map data fine. However it shows APRS-IS delay and Resolve across the top and never sees any other stations. Also is there a further configuration that needs to be done to use the internal gps? It show no fix at the bottom display screen. The software works great on my laptop, just having trouble getting it going on my phone which is where I want to use it from more. Thanks!!!

      Keith L. Dobbins KC8RFW
      Parkersburg, WV 26104
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 4 12:07 PM
        Have you used your phone's GPS for any other application? And have you
        updated the almanac in it using HTC's QuickGPS application (at least,
        that's what it's called in Programs / Tools on my HTC Tilt). If you
        don't have a valid almanac, it can take a LONG time of CLEAR sky
        visibility to get a fix.

        What do you have configured for your APRS-IS serve under Configure /
        Ports / APRS-IS? I use rotate.aprs2.net and port 14580. If maps are
        downloading, then your data connection is probably ok, but does Internet
        Explorer work? I've had times that the DNS resolution gives back bogus
        answers that take a long time for APRSISCE to wade through. If you
        bring up Enables / View Logs / APRS-IS, what can do you see there as
        relates to the DNS resolution and whatnot?

        Keith wrote:
        > Ok, just managed to load the app and it seems to startup fine. I have an unlimited plan for data it seems to load the map data fine. However it shows APRS-IS delay and Resolve across the top and never sees any other stations. Also is there a further configuration that needs to be done to use the internal gps? It show no fix at the bottom display screen. The software works great on my laptop, just having trouble getting it going on my phone which is where I want to use it from more. Thanks!!!
        >
        > Keith L. Dobbins KC8RFW
        > Parkersburg, WV 26104

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 4 1:10 PM

          Hi

          Just noticed I am receiving bulletins via IS but the system is not broadcasting them, it just says station not found, have I missed a setting or is this not working yet.

          Also I see some work on digi paths seems to have been done, but still digi myself if I hear myself.

          Steve

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 4 1:23 PM
            Messages / Bulletins / View will show you the bulletins. If you
            Messages / Bulletins / Create, then you can specify if they are -IS
            and/or RF sent. Bulletins are NOT gated from -IS to RF because the
            recipient "station" has not been heard on RF. Only stations with direct
            RF interfaces can push their own bulletins over the RF.

            Outside of specific gating rule overrides (like gate ALL of THIS
            callsign's packets from -IS to RF), there's no documentation that says
            bulletins should be gated AFAIK.

            I haven't done anything new on the Digi front yet, since you pointed out
            the issue. What did you think had changed?

            Steve wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > Just noticed I am receiving bulletins via IS but the system is not
            > broadcasting them, it just says station not found, have I missed a
            > setting or is this not working yet.
            >
            > Also I see some work on digi paths seems to have been done, but still
            > digi myself if I hear myself.
            >

            > Steve
            >
            > G6UIM

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 4 1:29 PM

              Ok I was thinking that bulletins would be broadcast to everyone that’s all. I thought perhaps that aprsis would just broadcast them out of none internet connected stations to receive.

              I just saw your new bulletin about paths, and had a new download, so assumed you had done some work in digi etc.

              Steve

              G6UIM

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 4 1:51 PM
                Steve wrote:
                > Ok I was thinking that bulletins would be broadcast to everyone that’s
                > all. I thought perhaps that aprsis would just broadcast them out of
                > none internet connected stations to receive.

                Nope. As far as I know, the -IS won't even GIVE you bulletins unless the
                originating station falls within your filter or you're running a t/m
                (messages) filter or drawing on a full feed. And given some of the
                foreign language bulletins I see coming across the latter 2
                configurations, I wouldn't have any idea what to gate to RF anyway.

                > I just saw your new bulletin about paths, and had a new download, so
                > assumed you had done some work in digi etc.

                Ah, I see. No, the KJ4ERJ-14 bulletins are going out over my local RF to
                encourage a few local D710 users to update their paths since there's
                only 1 or 2 digi's left that do WIDE and none that I know of that do
                RELAY. The KJ4ERJ-AP bulletins cover what I'm working on.

                To those that haven't seen them, add a b/KJ4ERJ* or u/APW* to your Add
                Filter and you'll start receiving my (and, the the latter case) other's
                bulletins, but only if you're running the development version.

              • Steve
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 4 2:47 PM
                  A little off topic.
                  I saw a Rocket launch was going today, I am a big fan of watching them,
                  since as a 4 year old I watched the first moon landing.
                  So I sent out an APRS bulletin that an Ariane launch was on the way, and
                  ended up having a good chat with Lynn whilst we watched the launch.
                  So from that I plan to send out aprs bulletins when a launch is about to
                  occur.
                  That's any rocket launch, not just ones with amateur payload. Also balloon
                  launches with amateur payload/aprs tracking.

                  I can usually sort the rocket launches with video feeds, but balloon
                  launches are harder. It may look like I am on the web 24/7 looking for stuff
                  but that not true honest.

                  If you want to make sure you get a bulletin please email me and I will add
                  you to my buddy list, handy if you do the same for me.

                  Also if you see a rocket launch with video feed, or a balloon launch that's
                  going to happen, please either aprs message me, with a link if possible or
                  email me.
                  I will let you have my main email address, but to start email my yahoo mail.

                  Steve
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 4 3:00 PM
                    Just a minor correction, if you want to receive Steve's bulletins, YOU
                    need to add HIM to your buddy list. Just add a b/G6UIM* to the
                    Configure / General / Add Filter string. Make sure it is
                    blank-separated from other filters you might have in there.

                    Or if you want to see the packets of all global APRSISCE/32 users, along
                    with their (and Steve's) bulletins, add u/APWM*/WPWW* and you'll see
                    lots of Yellow-background stations going by your scrolling station list!

                    Oh, and bulletin support is only in the development version
                    (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/development-version) at this point.
                    Hopefully I'll be making another general release soon.

                    PS. The launch video was really cool!

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 4 3:25 PM

                      I ment to say add me to your buddy list, and email me and I will add to mine.

                      Thanks for the correction Lynn .

                      Steve

                      G6UIM

                      P.S. I plan to do a skydive from 15,000ft I hope to have aprs running and hopefully a video feed onto the net. Even if SSTV.

                      I do need to sort this as illegal to transmit from the air in the UK .

                      Steve wrote:

                      > If you want to make sure you get a bulletin please email me and I will add
                      > you to my buddy list, handy if you do the same for me.

                    • chad pearia
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 4 3:48 PM
                        Can anyone give me the setup configuration/steps for creating a new port for connecting a D710 to aprsis32. I tried adding a D710 poet and connecting to the com port on the back of my display with menu 604 turned on but got nothing. I used tcp/ip 127.0.0.1 and the comport plugged into. Maybe that is wrong.  I didn't see any instructions anywhere.  I am sure this has been discussed before, but I am on vacation at a remote cabin and have limited internet access and desperatly want to get my D710 hooked up to aprsis32 for local tracking... Please help if you can... THANKS in advance.

                        Chad
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 4 3:57 PM
                          The tcp/ip is probably the problem. I'm assuming (or hoping) that you
                          actually have a serial port on your computer. You need to bring up
                          Configure / Ports / <YourPort> and click on Device. Blank out the IP
                          address and Port number and click OK. Then click on Device again and
                          say No when asked about TCP/IP. Then select your COM port and the
                          proper baud rate and click Ok.

                          After that, disable and re-enable <YourPort> under RF Ports and you
                          should be good to go.

                          If it doesn't work out, turn on Enables / Logging / <YourPort> and
                          disable/re-enable <YourPort> under RF Ports. Then do Enables / View
                          Logs / <YourPort> and get the contents to me (Copy on the menu will put
                          it all into the clipboard) at KJ4ERJ@....

                          chad pearia wrote:

                          > Can anyone give me the setup configuration/steps for creating a new
                          > port for connecting a D710 to aprsis32. I tried adding a D710 poet and
                          > connecting to the com port on the back of my display with menu 604
                          > turned on but got nothing. I used tcp/ip 127.0.0.1 and the comport
                          > plugged into. Maybe that is wrong. I didn't see any instructions
                          > anywhere. I am sure this has been discussed before, but I am on
                          > vacation at a remote cabin and have limited internet access and
                          > desperatly want to get my D710 hooked up to aprsis32 for local
                          > tracking... Please help if you can... THANKS in advance.
                          >
                          > Chad
                        • Kevin Groce
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 4 4:03 PM
                            Lynn,

                            I got the SCH-i760 from a friend but no one in Nashville seems to stock a charger for this phone. I am stuck until I can get one online. I can't wait to get this up and running.
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 4 4:31 PM
                              If you want to know when the balloon launches are happening, subscribe
                              to the Balloon_Sked YahooGroup. Most of us use that to announce
                              upcoming launches.

                              Are you planning on posting these bulletins to the APRS-IS only? I
                              highly doubt anyone local will be interested in all the bulletins for
                              the world.

                              BTW, come on over here for your skydive. We don't have all those silly
                              limitations. I took my HT up on my third jump and talked to some
                              buddies while under canopy.

                              We're all set to track a 130,000 foot freefall, so a 15,000 foot
                              freefall would be a teaser. If you need a RW partner, I'll jump with
                              you.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 4 5:01 PM
                                James Ewen wrote:
                                > Are you planning on posting these bulletins to the APRS-IS only? I
                                > highly doubt anyone local will be interested in all the bulletins for
                                > the world.

                                Actually, I'm doing Bulletins from a full feed. There aren't that many
                                of them (see below).

                                > We're all set to track a 130,000 foot freefall, so a 15,000 foot
                                > freefall would be a teaser. If you need a RW partner, I'll jump with
                                > you.

                                Please let us know when you're tracking the freefall and under what
                                callsign! I'd like to monitor just to see how fast the altitude changes.

                                From Messages / Bulletins / View and then Copy to the clipboard:

                                Received From:Group:* Text Date
                                19:55:24 CX2SA-8: :1 ((( CX2SA - Minas Lavalleja Uruguay ))) http://www.cx2sa.org 2010-08-04

                                16:29:50 DG9BEB: :P TEST 2010-08-04
                                16:30:20 DG9BEB: :Q TEST 2010-08-04

                                19:00:15 EA3BNF-1: :0 RX: 9 packets/min 44% error 2010-08-04

                                18:54:15 EA4I-3: :A APUNTATE AL FORO APRS: aprs-rf-ea-subscribe@yahoogroups.com 2010-08-04

                                15:54:30 EA4URA-3: :A APUNTATE AL FORO APRS: aprs-rf-ea-subscribe@yahoogroups.com 2010-08-04

                                19:36:43 EA8CDT:-8 :1 Echolink: http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/symbol.cgi?icon=E0&limit=100 2010-08-04
                                19:38:16 EA8CDT:-8 :2 Temperatura en Canarias --- http://www.climash.com/LasCanteras.htm 2010-08-04
                                19:36:51 EA8CDT:-8 :3 Unico en EA - www.findu.com/cgi-bin/symbol.cgi?icon=E0&limit=1000 2010-08-04
                                19:36:53 EA8CDT:-8 :4 Aire acondicionado en coches **** http://www.climash.com/aptn.html 2010-08-04

                                19:00:37 EMAILTV:-04 :1 SISMA *New Britain* Magn=6.8 Prof=40Km 04-ago 22:21UTC 2010-08-04
                                08:26:11 EMAILTV:MAREA:4 Venezia 04/08 46cm 14:05, max=55cm 18:00, min=10cm 02:50 2010-08-04
                                11:26:36 EMAILTV:MAREA:5 Venezia 04/08 50cm 17:05, min=10cm 02:50, max=50cm 10:50 2010-08-04
                                14:26:46 EMAILTV:MAREA:6 Venezia 04/08 45cm 20:10, min=10cm 02:50, max=50cm 10:50 2010-08-04
                                17:27:17 EMAILTV:MAREA:7 Venezia 04/08 18cm 23:10, min=10cm 02:50, max=50cm 10:50 2010-08-04

                                17:50:02 G6UIM: :0 if you want updates of balloon/rocket launches contact me here or email 2010-08-04

                                17:12:01 HB9MM-4:9 :9 HB9MM-4 info http://www.hb9tjm.net/digi_mm.htm 2010-08-04

                                11:21:47 IK0NEP-9: : CIAO ITALIA 2010-08-04

                                20:00:10 IS0GRB-2: : EMAILCA -Bidirectional APRS EMail Server (www.is0grb.it) for info 2010-08-04

                                14:22:25 IW9DZV-11: : VISIT MY SITE WEB http://www.iw9dzv.it 2010-08-04

                                19:32:06 IZ6RDB:ASTRO:N Oggi il Sole sorge alle 05:02 e tramonta alle 19:22 2010-08-04
                                19:32:24 IZ6RDB:ASTRO:O Oggi la Luna tramonta alle 15:33 2010-08-04
                                09:30:57 IZ6RDB:MARES:L Adriatico Meridionale: . 2010-08-04
                                19:02:30 IZ6RDB:METEO:A Condizioni meteo avverse dal 5/8/2010 h8 al 7/8/2010 h8 2010-08-04

                                19:14:21 K4ABB-1: :1 http://www.ac4xq.net/forum/ 2010-08-04

                                19:04:28 KJ4ERJ-14: :P Use WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 (Mobile) WIDE2-2 (Fixed) 2010-08-04
                                19:07:28 KJ4ERJ-14: :Q RELAY and WIDE Paths are Ignored in South Brevard! 2010-08-04

                                19:43:32 KJ4ERJ-AP: :0 Current Development Work In Progress: 2010-08-04
                                19:43:32 KJ4ERJ-AP: :1 ----------------------------------------- 2010-08-04
                                19:43:32 KJ4ERJ-AP: :2 Bulletin Support (Need to support Delete) 2010-08-04
                                19:43:33 KJ4ERJ-AP: :3 Tracking down Intermittent Hangs 2010-08-04
                                19:43:33 KJ4ERJ-AP: :4 Improving responsivness of slow processing 2010-08-04

                                14:36:24 KZ6O:SL1/1:Q N7SIJ,K6KMA-4,K7TGZ,N7OFW,AJ5C,AE7GN 2010-08-04

                                18:08:49 LU2HAM-7: : saludos via iss desde cordoba 2010-08-04
                                19:59:56 LU2HAM-7:SL1/3:Q CA6CCA{UISS52} 2010-08-04
                                18:06:52 LU2HAM-7:SL2/3:Q CE2UGO-10,LW5DGM-8,CX5AZ,CE3QC-1,CE2UGO-1, 2010-08-04
                                17:59:53 LU2HAM-7:SL3/3:Q LU8YN-1,LU2HAM-1,PU2SBY,CA6CCA,LW2EE{UISS52} 2010-08-04

                                18:09:38 LW2EE: : SALUDOS MARIO VIA ISS 73 2010-08-04
                                18:10:38 LW2EE:SL1/1:Q LU2HAM-7,LW4DEM-8,CA6CCA,LW4DEM,LW5DGM-4{UISS52} 2010-08-04

                                19:41:31 N0QVC:RICE :9 The national weather service has issued a Short Term Forecast .. 2010-08-04

                                19:36:00 OK1COM-10:WX :4 2/3 ctvrtecniho vecera do soboty se mohou vyskytnout misty {852 2010-08-04

                                17:06:30 OK1KHL-1:MEET :4 27-28.8.2010 21th International HAM Meeting Holice Czech Republic www.ok1khl.com 2010-08-04

                                08:42:04 SR8NWF:IGI :D DIGI SR8NWF Nowa antena KAD VHF 5,12dBi VERTEX 2011 power 10W 2010-08-04

                                20:00:00 TA2BBS-8:RMail:P for SM1CQA TA2VG VE3ANR 2010-08-04

                                19:44:03 VK5RHO-1: :B Join the Email Group aprs.net.au/mailman/listinfo/ozaprs 2010-08-04

                                19:11:18 VK5RSC-1: :A Info/Help on APRS in Sth Aust at http://vk5.aprs.net.au 2010-08-04

                                19:57:55 VK7RAA: :P Paths are TAS3-3 home base & WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 mobile. 2010-08-04

                                19:32:55 VK7RHT-1: :T PLEASE USE WIDE2-2 FOR FIXED & WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 FOR MOBILE 2010-08-04
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 4 5:42 PM
                                  Freefall speeds are between about 120 and 210 miles per hour. You need
                                  to get up above 50,000 feet before speeds really start to increase.
                                  Below that atmospheric drag slows you down a whole lot.

                                  If you're playing nice with others, you'll only send a couple packets
                                  at best while in freefall from that altitude. 15,000 feet should be
                                  good for about 90 seconds of freefall.

                                • Keith
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 4 7:37 PM
                                    Ok,GPS works now, had to configure the comm port in the windows mobile configuration. refused to work right in google maps till i did that as well. Log is showing gethostbyname errno 11001 when ever it attempts lookup on rotate.aprs2.net then failled on the next line. IE works fine with no issues. Any other address I can use?
                                    Thanks!

                                    Keith KC8RFW

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 4 8:01 PM
                                      Check out http://www.aprs2.net/#regional for the tier 2 region nearest
                                      you, probably noam.aprs2.net. If your carrier is enforcing a proxy
                                      server and not giving you a DNS server, you could have more problems.
                                      Are you on AT&T or what cellular provider?

                                      PS. TCP errno 11001 is WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND.

                                      Keith wrote:
                                      > Ok,GPS works now, had to configure the comm port in the windows mobile configuration. refused to work right in google maps till i did that as well. Log is showing gethostbyname errno 11001 when ever it attempts lookup on rotate.aprs2.net then failled on the next line. IE works fine with no issues. Any other address I can use?
                                      > Thanks!
                                      >
                                      > Keith KC8RFW
                                      >

                                      > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> Have you used your phone's GPS for any other application? And have you
                                      >> updated the almanac in it using HTC's QuickGPS application (at least,
                                      >> that's what it's called in Programs / Tools on my HTC Tilt). If you
                                      >> don't have a valid almanac, it can take a LONG time of CLEAR sky
                                      >> visibility to get a fix.
                                      >>
                                      >> What do you have configured for your APRS-IS serve under Configure /
                                      >> Ports / APRS-IS? I use rotate.aprs2.net and port 14580. If maps are
                                      >> downloading, then your data connection is probably ok, but does Internet
                                      >> Explorer work? I've had times that the DNS resolution gives back bogus
                                      >> answers that take a long time for APRSISCE to wade through. If you
                                      >> bring up Enables / View Logs / APRS-IS, what can do you see there as
                                      >> relates to the DNS resolution and whatnot?

                                      >> Keith wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>> Ok, just managed to load the app and it seems to startup fine. I have an unlimited plan for data it seems to load the map data fine. However it shows APRS-IS delay and Resolve across the top and never sees any other stations. Also is there a further configuration that needs to be done to use the internal gps? It show no fix at the bottom display screen. The software works great on my laptop, just having trouble getting it going on my phone which is where I want to use it from more. Thanks!!!
                                      >>>
                                      >>> Keith L. Dobbins KC8RFW
                                      >>> Parkersburg, WV 26104

                                    • Keith
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 5 7:54 AM
                                        Changed it to noam.aprs2.net and all is well. Thanks!!! Carrier is verizon wireless. Didn't like the rotate for some reason. Everything working well now. Thanks again!

                                        Keith Dobbins KC8RFW
                                        Parksburg, WV 26104

                                        > Check out http://www.aprs2.net/#regional for the tier 2 region nearest
                                        > you, probably noam.aprs2.net. If your carrier is enforcing a proxy
                                        > server and not giving you a DNS server, you could have more problems.
                                        > Are you on AT&T or what cellular provider?

                                        > PS. TCP errno 11001 is WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND.
                                        >
                                        > Keith wrote:
                                        > > Ok,GPS works now, had to configure the comm port in the windows mobile configuration. refused to work right in google maps till i did that as well. Log is showing gethostbyname errno 11001 when ever it attempts lookup on rotate.aprs2.net then failled on the next line. IE works fine with no issues. Any other address I can use?
                                        > > Thanks!
                                        > >
                                        > > Keith KC8RFW
                                        > >

                                        > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > >> Have you used your phone's GPS for any other application? And have you
                                        > >> updated the almanac in it using HTC's QuickGPS application (at least,
                                        > >> that's what it's called in Programs / Tools on my HTC Tilt). If you
                                        > >> don't have a valid almanac, it can take a LONG time of CLEAR sky
                                        > >> visibility to get a fix.
                                        > >>
                                        > >> What do you have configured for your APRS-IS serve under Configure /
                                        > >> Ports / APRS-IS? I use rotate.aprs2.net and port 14580. If maps are
                                        > >> downloading, then your data connection is probably ok, but does Internet
                                        > >> Explorer work? I've had times that the DNS resolution gives back bogus
                                        > >> answers that take a long time for APRSISCE to wade through. If you
                                        > >> bring up Enables / View Logs / APRS-IS, what can do you see there as
                                        > >> relates to the DNS resolution and whatnot?
                                        > >>
                                        > >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                                      • Steve
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 5 10:03 AM

                                          I wish I could afford to come over for the jump.

                                          I will be playing nicely on APRS when  I jump so it will be mostly tracks of me going up, The tracker I will hopefully use also stores to memory and that can be at a different rate to APRS.

                                          It's a jump for a sarcoma charity, I had a Sarcoma removed from my shoulder last year.

                                          Thanks for the info.

                                          I will probably jump under G6UIM-11 if I can get a Notice of Variation on my license.

                                          Am not allowed to transmit from the air in the UK . But anyone can transmit on the ISM band, which falls within the 70cm band, go figure.

                                          Steve G6UIM

                                          href="http://www.hb9tjm.net/digi_mm.htm">http://www.hb9tjm.net/digi_mm.htm
                                          > 2010-08-04
                                          >
                                          > 11:21:47 IK0NEP-9: : CIAO ITALIA
                                          > 2010-08-04
                                          >
                                          > 20:00:10 IS0GRB-2: : EMAILCA -Bidirectional APRS EMail Server
                                          > (www.is0grb.it) for info 2010-08-04
                                          >
                                          > 14:22:25 IW9DZV-11: : VISIT MY SITE WEB http://www.iw9dzv.it
                                          > 2010-08-04
                                          >
                                          > 19:32:06 IZ6RDB:ASTRO: N Oggi il Sole
                                          sorge alle 05:02 e tramonta alle
                                          > 19:22 2010-08-04
                                          > 19:32:24 IZ6RDB:ASTRO:O Oggi la Luna tramonta alle 15:33
                                          > 2010-08-04
                                          > 09:30:57 IZ6RDB:MARES:L Adriatico Meridionale: .
                                          > 2010-08-04
                                          > 19:02:30 IZ6RDB:METEO:A Condizioni meteo avverse dal 5/8/2010 h8 al
                                          > 7/8/2010 h8 2010-08-04
                                          >
                                          > 19:14:21 K4ABB-1: :1 http://www.ac4xq.net/forum/
                                          > 2010-08-04
                                          >
                                          > 19:04:28 KJ4ERJ-14: :P Use WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 (
                                          w:st="on">Mobile ) WIDE2-2 (Fixed)