Re: [aprsisce] Transmit = quick move

  • Stephen Atkins
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 2, 2013

      No problem.  I take as well as I give.

      Back on subject. The original post does raise a problem and one that I have tried to solve in some of my programs also. Basically it comes down to how many times do you ask "Are you sure?"

      I'll leave it up to the developers to answer that one. I've always wondered why when I click tx it would want to move to the centre. Most times I just want to send a packet and see whos listening or to check paths.  Just my two cents so take my comments for what they are worth.

      Stephen

      P.S. removing the yahoo added text when replying on a tanlet is really hard.

      On 2013-04-02 4:44 PM, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      I'm guilty of not checking completely who I was about to hassle!  I really thought that was a post by James and wanted to give him a bit of grief.  Never meant to embarrass anyone other than James!  Please accept my public apology.

      On 4/2/2013 5:55 PM, Stephen Atkins wrote:
      Darn auto correct on my phone must have done that.  Thanks for pointing out how dumb I look :)

      Stephen

      On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      On 4/1/2013 8:04 PM, Stephen Atkins wrote:
      This is something programmers have been telling users for many years. Always ready the prompt before clicking:)

      We've also be telling people to proof-read e-mails before poking send!  ("...ready the prompt..."? LOL)

    • Lee D Bengston
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 3, 2013
        My question is why is there a need to move when clicking transmit?  When I was brand new to this program, I had just zoomed in and set my position, zoomed back out (and I must have also scrolled the map a bit so that I was not in the center).  Next I clicked transmit simply to try out the capability to transmit on demand, and I got the prompt if it was OK to move ME to the center of the map.  I misunderstood that it meant to center the map around my position, which made more sense to me at the time - after all I had just set a position for a fixed station, so why would I want to move it to wherever the current center of the map was?  Therefore I clicked yes and was moved to the center of the map - oops.

        Now on a more positive note, I took APRSIS32 in a Netbook on a road trip last fall from Virginia to Wisconsin and back, and it worked great.  The genius beaconing worked well, and pre-fetched map tiles were the best free off-line map solution I could find.  The big speedometer was a nice touch, too.

        Lee - K5DAT

        On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

        Move ME to Center? Yes.

        Do you really want to move ME? Yes.

        Did you REALLY mean to move ME? Yes.

        Moving ME might not be what you want to do, are you SURE? Yes.

        There is NO recovery for someone that simply clicks Yes on every question.

        The real question I have is why are you clicking Transmit without the
        need to move ME?

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 3, 2013
          The road trip is actually the reason that there's an easy way to "Move ME to Center" on the transmit.  If you couple it with the Configure / Beacon / After Transmit, you have an excellent APRS solution for the GPS-less netbook.  Each night, you move the map to center on where you've settled in, hit Transmit, and say Yes.  The "After Transmit" selection makes sure that no beacons are sent with your old location when you restart the client until you have had a chance to re-center the map on where ME should be and then manually hit Transmit.

          IMHO, there's practically no other reason for the Transmit menu option beyond testing, and while testing, just make sure you're centered where you want to be or keep answering No to the question.

          Maybe I'll just change the menu option to "Move ME" which implies a transmit since your location may have changed...

          Glad to know the road trip went well.  I also like the (configurably - see Configure / Screen / Speed Font Size) big speedometer.  I trust GPS-based speeds much more than the car speedometer which seem to consistently be incorrect.

          On 4/3/2013 9:18 PM, Lee D Bengston wrote:
          My question is why is there a need to move when clicking transmit?  When I was brand new to this program, I had just zoomed in and set my position, zoomed back out (and I must have also scrolled the map a bit so that I was not in the center).  Next I clicked transmit simply to try out the capability to transmit on demand, and I got the prompt if it was OK to move ME to the center of the map.  I misunderstood that it meant to center the map around my position, which made more sense to me at the time - after all I had just set a position for a fixed station, so why would I want to move it to wherever the current center of the map was?  Therefore I clicked yes and was moved to the center of the map - oops.

          Now on a more positive note, I took APRSIS32 in a Netbook on a road trip last fall from Virginia to Wisconsin and back, and it worked great.  The genius beaconing worked well, and pre-fetched map tiles were the best free off-line map solution I could find.  The big speedometer was a nice touch, too.

          Lee - K5DAT

          On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

          Move ME to Center? Yes.

          Do you really want to move ME? Yes.

          Did you REALLY mean to move ME? Yes.

          Moving ME might not be what you want to do, are you SURE? Yes.

          There is NO recovery for someone that simply clicks Yes on every question.

          The real question I have is why are you clicking Transmit without the
          need to move ME?

          On 4/1/2013 1:16 PM, Lasse / LA5PPA wrote:
          > if you don't read carefully what the message box tells you :-)
          >
          > Not sure if this is a big problem but when you click on Transmit in the
          > menubar you get a message "Move ME To Center" if your out of center from
          > you own position.
          >
          > Many people like my self always press Yes and suddenly I was located a
          > few miles from home.
          > Maybe an extra "Are you sure you want to move your position" dialog box
          > could be an idea or remove the function and add location to the
          > Configure menu ?
          >
          > --
          > Lasse

        • Rob Giuliano
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 3, 2013
            Without putting words in Lynn's mouth, I would call it "Fine Tuning".
            The only time you would hit transmit on a stationary station after moving the map, would be to fine tune your position.
            I would thing that the move to center is done on transmits for that reason.

            That is why I turn it off!
              > Screen >Follow > ME
            This will transmit the position of ME if you hit transmit, even if the map has been moved.

            Robert Giuliano
            KB8RCO

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 3, 2013
              I actually like the transmit button for when I switch to the iss and want to see if I can be digied on the lower elevations.KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE