RE: [aprsisce] Transmit = quick move

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2013
      If you have those settings, doesn't the screen re-center when you transmit? If so, why pan the screen first and then transmit?

      When I am testing a port, I normally am following ME anyway, so a Transmit is fine. I would hate to have messed up and transmitted a different position and then look silly because I had to have someone else find my blunder for me. Not that that ever happens in real life.

      It is Fool's Day so I can say "it never happens".

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2013
        Please visit your Yahoo page and unsubscribe. If you already have, then please be patient as Yahoo is sometimes very slow in updating your group memberships.

        As a heads up, you may have to be very patient. It has taken several weeks in the past.

        Best regards,
        Fred, N7FMH, Co-moderator

        Moving ME might not be what you want to do, are you SURE? Yes.

        There is NO recovery for someone that simply clicks Yes on every question.

        The real question I have is why are you clicking Transmit without the
        need to move ME?

        On 4/1/2013 1:16 PM, Lasse / LA5PPA wrote:
        > if you don't read carefully what the message box tells you :-)
        >
        > Not sure if this is a big problem but when you click on Transmit in the
        > menubar you get a message "Move ME To Center" if your out of center from
        > you own position.
        >
        > Many people like my self always press Yes and suddenly I was located a
        > few miles from home.
        > Maybe an extra "Are you sure you want to move your position" dialog box
        > could be an idea or remove the function and add location to the
        > Configure menu ?
        >
        > --
        > Lasse

          Moving ME might not be what you want to do, are you SURE? Yes.

          There is NO recovery for someone that simply clicks Yes on every question.

          The real question I have is why are you clicking Transmit without the
          need to move ME?

          On 4/1/2013 1:16 PM, Lasse / LA5PPA wrote:
          > if you don't read carefully what the message box tells you :-)
          >
          > Not sure if this is a big problem but when you click on Transmit in the
          > menubar you get a message "Move ME To Center" if your out of center from
          > you own position.
          >
          > Many people like my self always press Yes and suddenly I was located a
          > few miles from home.
          > Maybe an extra "Are you sure you want to move your position" dialog box
          > could be an idea or remove the function and add location to the
          > Configure menu ?
          >
          > --
          > Lasse

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 1, 2013
            Please take me off your email list

            73
            Tom Arias
             KF6EZV

            On Apr 1, 2013, at 10:59 AM, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

            If you have those settings, doesn't the screen re-center when you transmit? If so, why pan the screen first and then transmit?

            When I am testing a port, I normally am following ME anyway, so a Transmit is fine. I would hate to have messed up and transmitted a different position and then look silly because I had to have someone else find my blunder for me. Not that that ever happens in real life.

            It is Fool's Day so I can say "it never happens".

            Moving ME might not be what you want to do, are you SURE? Yes.

            There is NO recovery for someone that simply clicks Yes on every question.

            The real question I have is why are you clicking Transmit without the
            need to move ME?

            On 4/1/2013 1:16 PM, Lasse / LA5PPA wrote:
            > if you don't read carefully what the message box tells you :-)
            >
            > Not sure if this is a big problem but when you click on Transmit in the
            > menubar you get a message "Move ME To Center" if your out of center from
            > you own position.
            >
            > Many people like my self always press Yes and suddenly I was located a
            > few miles from home.
            > Maybe an extra "Are you sure you want to move your position" dialog box
            > could be an idea or remove the function and add location to the
            > Configure menu ?
            >
            > --
            > Lasse

          • Rob Giuliano
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 1, 2013
              If you have those settings, doesn't the screen re-center when you transmit? If so, why pan the screen first and then transmit?

              No!  It leave the screen, but transmits the position of "ME" - at least that has been my experience, and I just tried it again.

              Robert Giuliano
              KB8RCO

              If you have those settings, doesn't the screen re-center when you transmit? If so, why pan the screen first and then transmit?

              When I am testing a port, I normally am following ME anyway, so a Transmit is fine. I would hate to have messed up and transmitted a different position and then look silly because I had to have someone else find my blunder for me. Not that that ever happens in real life.

              It is Fool's Day so I can say "it never happens".

              Move ME to Center? Yes. Do you really want to move ME? Yes. Did you REALLY mean to move ME? Yes. Moving ME might not be what you want to do, are you SURE? Yes. There is NO recovery for someone that simply clicks Yes on every question. The real question I have is why are you clicking Transmit without the need to move ME? Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32 On 4/1/2013 1:16 PM, Lasse / LA5PPA wrote: > if you don't read carefully what the message box tells you :-) > > Not sure if this is a big problem but when you click on Transmit in the > menubar you get a message "Move ME To Center" if your out of center from > you own position. > > Many people like my self always press Yes and suddenly I was located a > few miles from home. > Maybe an extra "Are you sure you want to move your position" dialog box > could be an idea or remove the function and add location to the > Configure menu ? > > -- > Lasse > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >
            • la5ppa
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 1, 2013
                It was beacause I wanted to check and see if the TX was ok via my radio, thats all, sorry for asking.

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 1, 2013
                  I didn't mind the question and apologize if you took my response
                  wrongly. I was just trying to point out how confirmations of
                  confirmations tends to be in-effective. At least, that has been my
                  experience.

                  I hope you consider re-joining the group because it is questions from
                  users that can assist me in making APRSISCE/32 better. Sometimes my
                  initial response may be negative, but sometimes things can percolate in
                  my brain and come out with an alternate solution to a user-initiated issue.

                  That's really why I was asking your use of Transmit (which is exactly
                  what it is there for) because I was wondering if there was a situation
                  where Transmit was necessary more than I was aware of.

                  On 4/1/2013 3:27 PM, la5ppa wrote:
                  > It was beacause I wanted to check and see if the TX was ok via my radio, thats all, sorry for asking.

                  >> Move ME to Center? Yes.
                  >>
                  >> Do you really want to move ME? Yes.
                  >>
                  >> Did you REALLY mean to move ME? Yes.
                  >>
                  >> Moving ME might not be what you want to do, are you SURE? Yes.
                  >>
                  >> There is NO recovery for someone that simply clicks Yes on every question.
                  >>
                  >> The real question I have is why are you clicking Transmit without the
                  >> need to move ME?

                  >> On 4/1/2013 1:16 PM, Lasse / LA5PPA wrote:
                  >>> if you don't read carefully what the message box tells you :-)
                  >>>
                  >>> Not sure if this is a big problem but when you click on Transmit in the
                  >>> menubar you get a message "Move ME To Center" if your out of center from
                  >>> you own position.
                  >>>
                  >>> Many people like my self always press Yes and suddenly I was located a
                  >>> few miles from home.
                  >>> Maybe an extra "Are you sure you want to move your position" dialog box
                  >>> could be an idea or remove the function and add location to the
                  >>> Configure menu ?
                  >>>
                  >>> --
                  >>> Lasse

                • Stephen Atkins

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 1, 2013
                      On 4/1/2013 8:04 PM, Stephen Atkins wrote:
                      This is something programmers have been telling users for many years. Always ready the prompt before clicking:)

                      We've also be telling people to proof-read e-mails before poking send!  ("...ready the prompt..."? LOL)

                    • Stephen Atkins
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 2, 2013
                        Darn auto correct on my phone must have done that.  Thanks for pointing out how dumb I look :)

                        Stephen

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 2, 2013
                            On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                            > I'm guilty of not checking completely who I was about to hassle! I really
                            > thought that was a post by James and wanted to give him a bit of grief.
                            > Never meant to embarrass anyone other than James! Please accept my public
                            > apology.

                            HA! Saw the VE6S and assumed it must be that loud mouth from Edmonton,
                            huh? Stephen is from a little bit east of here!

                            Stephen, you might need to change your callsign to disassociate
                            yourself from me! :)

                            PS. You must be missing me... I've been unusually quiet for quite a
                            while. I'll really go quiet for a couple weeks here when I go out to a
                            work camp and spend a couple weeks installing 200 radios into trucks.
                            I'm contemplating sneaking a new APRS digipeater into a site where I
                            have to install a new repeater.
                          • Stephen Atkins
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 2, 2013

                              No problem.  I take as well as I give.

                              Back on subject. The original post does raise a problem and one that I have tried to solve in some of my programs also. Basically it comes down to how many times do you ask "Are you sure?"

                              I'll leave it up to the developers to answer that one. I've always wondered why when I click tx it would want to move to the centre. Most times I just want to send a packet and see whos listening or to check paths.  Just my two cents so take my comments for what they are worth.

                              Stephen

                              P.S. removing the yahoo added text when replying on a tanlet is really hard.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 3, 2013
                                My question is why is there a need to move when clicking transmit?  When I was brand new to this program, I had just zoomed in and set my position, zoomed back out (and I must have also scrolled the map a bit so that I was not in the center).  Next I clicked transmit simply to try out the capability to transmit on demand, and I got the prompt if it was OK to move ME to the center of the map.  I misunderstood that it meant to center the map around my position, which made more sense to me at the time - after all I had just set a position for a fixed station, so why would I want to move it to wherever the current center of the map was?  Therefore I clicked yes and was moved to the center of the map - oops.

                                Now on a more positive note, I took APRSIS32 in a Netbook on a road trip last fall from Virginia to Wisconsin and back, and it worked great.  The genius beaconing worked well, and pre-fetched map tiles were the best free off-line map solution I could find.  The big speedometer was a nice touch, too.

                                Lee - K5DAT

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 3, 2013
                                  The road trip is actually the reason that there's an easy way to "Move ME to Center" on the transmit.  If you couple it with the Configure / Beacon / After Transmit, you have an excellent APRS solution for the GPS-less netbook.  Each night, you move the map to center on where you've settled in, hit Transmit, and say Yes.  The "After Transmit" selection makes sure that no beacons are sent with your old location when you restart the client until you have had a chance to re-center the map on where ME should be and then manually hit Transmit.

                                  IMHO, there's practically no other reason for the Transmit menu option beyond testing, and while testing, just make sure you're centered where you want to be or keep answering No to the question.

                                  Maybe I'll just change the menu option to "Move ME" which implies a transmit since your location may have changed...

                                  Glad to know the road trip went well.  I also like the (configurably - see Configure / Screen / Speed Font Size) big speedometer.  I trust GPS-based speeds much more than the car speedometer which seem to consistently be incorrect.

                                  On 4/3/2013 9:18 PM, Lee D Bengston wrote:
                                  My question is why is there a need to move when clicking transmit?  When I was brand new to this program, I had just zoomed in and set my position, zoomed back out (and I must have also scrolled the map a bit so that I was not in the center).  Next I clicked transmit simply to try out the capability to transmit on demand, and I got the prompt if it was OK to move ME to the center of the map.  I misunderstood that it meant to center the map around my position, which made more sense to me at the time - after all I had just set a position for a fixed station, so why would I want to move it to wherever the current center of the map was?  Therefore I clicked yes and was moved to the center of the map - oops.

                                  Now on a more positive note, I took APRSIS32 in a Netbook on a road trip last fall from Virginia to Wisconsin and back, and it worked great.  The genius beaconing worked well, and pre-fetched map tiles were the best free off-line map solution I could find.  The big speedometer was a nice touch, too.

                                  Lee - K5DAT

                                  On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                                  Move ME to Center? Yes.

                                  Do you really want to move ME? Yes.

                                  Did you REALLY mean to move ME? Yes.

                                  Moving ME might not be what you want to do, are you SURE? Yes.

                                  There is NO recovery for someone that simply clicks Yes on every question.

                                  The real question I have is why are you clicking Transmit without the
                                  need to move ME?

                                  On 4/1/2013 1:16 PM, Lasse / LA5PPA wrote:
                                  > if you don't read carefully what the message box tells you :-)
                                  >
                                  > Not sure if this is a big problem but when you click on Transmit in the
                                  > menubar you get a message "Move ME To Center" if your out of center from
                                  > you own position.
                                  >
                                  > Many people like my self always press Yes and suddenly I was located a
                                  > few miles from home.
                                  > Maybe an extra "Are you sure you want to move your position" dialog box
                                  > could be an idea or remove the function and add location to the
                                  > Configure menu ?
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Lasse

                                • Rob Giuliano
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 3, 2013
                                    Without putting words in Lynn's mouth, I would call it "Fine Tuning".
                                    The only time you would hit transmit on a stationary station after moving the map, would be to fine tune your position.
                                    I would thing that the move to center is done on transmits for that reason.

                                    That is why I turn it off!
                                      > Screen >Follow > ME
                                    This will transmit the position of ME if you hit transmit, even if the map has been moved.

                                    Robert Giuliano
                                    KB8RCO

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 3, 2013
                                      I actually like the transmit button for when I switch to the iss and want to see if I can be digied on the lower elevations.KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE