USNG capability in APRSISCE or /32?

  • Larry Sack
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21 5:42 AM
      See the article below taken from the ARRL's EMCOMM newsletter. Is it possible to use this system in the program?

      US NATIONAL GRID - A Geo-Spatial Tool for Public Service Communications
      As a result of Hurricane Sandy, northeast responders were certainly faced with response situations in unfamiliar areas or where common navigation aids were gone, flooded or burned over. When such conditions exists, what should be the tool employed to quickly allow for positional reporting and navigation? The answer that many may not be familiar with is: US National Grid (USNG), a national standard coordinate system designed for land-based operations and which is consistent with military operations since 1949.

      Amateur Radio operators staffing EOCs and supporting emergency communications should be familiar with USNG as responders and emergency managers will be using it. In October, 2012, the Florida Division of Emergency Management issued a new Field Operations Guide that describes how Florida emergency services will use USNG. USNG has been a part of Florida's high level planning documents since 2010 with references going back to 2006.

      USNG is effectively the same as Military Grid Reference System (MGRS), and is a derivative of the Universal Transverse Mercador (UTM), which hikers employ routinely. USNG can be displayed on your smartphone easily. However, a GPS receiver is not mandatory. Paper maps are always a priority and all should include USNG grid lines when created. Fire and law enforcement computer aided dispatch and mobile data terminals can also be made to display properly labeled grids.

      All maps need a grid system in order to be most usable. Maps already in use or those found in office supply or convenience stores typically display non-interoperable "bingo" grids. Maps from the Internet are generally devoid of grid lines and thus are effectively just "pictures." What responders and emergency communicators need are properly labeled, gridded USNG maps. USNG can specify areas of 1 Km, 100 meters or 10 meters with as little as four, six or eight digits respectively and without dashes, decimal points or degrees. This facilitates easier radio communications of coordinates. 15S UB 6912 0927 represents a coordinate with precision of 10 meters square (33' x 33'). When the components 15S UB are truncated by local users, 691 092 represents 100 meters square (330' x 330') and 69 09 is the 1 Km square area. In words, 6912 0927 is a location 12% right and 27% up in 1 Km grid 69 09.

      USNG area references will be used tactically. 100 meter or 10 meter grids can identify helispots, structures, homes, bridges, specific damage, etc. in combination with or in place of the paradigm of street address, as appropriate. Out-of-area personnel may have no familiarity with local addresses, but when versed in the simple x-y nature of USNG, finding a location can be less stressful and certainly more efficient. USNG coordinates for all locations such as shelters, points-of-distribution, staging areas, etc., should be added to all planning documents.
      USNG is designated by the States of Minnesota and Florida as the preferred coordinate system. Federal agencies comprising the National Search and Rescue Committee have designated USNG as the coordinate system for all land search and rescue operations as of November 2011.

      When the street addressing system is unfamiliar, blown away, burned over, flooded or is non-existent in a rural or wilderness areas, the interoperable coordinate system to report position and to navigate by is US National Grid. -- Al Studt, CFPS, KF4KIR, Florida Fire Instructor III, kf4kir@..., Cocoa, Florida
    • ltdoc
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 23 6:20 AM
        First! I am not a programmer by any means so this is very 'general' type thinking.
        I would imagine that if a database of maps using this grid system was established it could be substituted for the 'normal' maps used (as other map databases can be used). Or, the grid system alone could probably be used as a 'layer' on the present maps. There are certainly a few "if's" in that and I don't know what all of them are. I can certainly see where there would be a lot of required effort put into it, along with some 'standardization'. I think I'll wait to see what happens.
        I also think that with how the present '911' system is set up (at least in this area), using GPS coordinates would also be a possibility.
        - 'Doc