RE: [aprsisce] GPS Simulation

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20 3:21 PM
      There are a few applications that will position itself based on a GPS, namely APRSIS32 and ExpertGPS. If the user is online while mobile, then tiles are gathered as needed. However, if you are offline while mobile, then gathering tiles in advance is necessary. A GPS simulator can be very useful.

      To be really useful for the purpose of getting tiles, then the data source for feeding the simulator is important. I wrote one with data sources in mind.

      Mine can read a GPX file. By "moving" through each position in the file, the GPS sentence user updates the display triggering gathering tiles. For a road trip, this is quite useful. I run it multiple times for each zoom level and each tile type desired. Bounding boxes are another use for gather tiles within a specific rectangular area. A useful feature would also be "moving" through a polygon. This would limit tile gathering to a county or province or other area defined by a polygon. I use ExpertGPS to define polygons and save them as a GPX.

      Mostly, I create GPX files and follow them. http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:configure-overlays