GPS Simulation

  • asgawth
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20 2:26 PM
      APRSIS32 can take a NMEA data feed from a GPS as we all know.

      I have recently written a free GPS simulator app for Windows called simGPS which can generate the NMEA sentences normally provided by a GPS thus simulating a GPS in a static location.

      It was originally written for use with a Yaesu DMU-2000 but works equally well with anything that expects GPS NMEA data.

      If people are interested its available for download at:
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/zrdigrzovaqnczi/simgps-v2.0.zip

      Andrew
      G0RVM
    • Tony VE6MVP
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 20 2:34 PM
        At 03:26 PM 2013-03-20, asgawth wrote:

        APRSIS32 can take a NMEA data feed from a GPS as we all know.

        I have recently written a free GPS simulator app for Windows called simGPS which can generate the NMEA sentences normally provided by a GPS thus simulating a GPS in a static location.

        It was originally written for use with a Yaesu DMU-2000 but works equally well with anything that expects GPS NMEA data.

        Nice idea.   What is it written in?   Source available?

        Hmm, not that I would ever, ever do this but it would be amusing to create a track showing me doing about 250 kmph along local highways.  <smirk>

        Tony
      • Andrew Gawthrope
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 20 3:00 PM
          Tony,

          Its a C++ application using the Visual Studio 2010 MFC framework.

          Just a binary and integrated help :-)

          Andrew
          G0RVM

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 20 3:21 PM
            There are a few applications that will position itself based on a GPS, namely APRSIS32 and ExpertGPS. If the user is online while mobile, then tiles are gathered as needed. However, if you are offline while mobile, then gathering tiles in advance is necessary. A GPS simulator can be very useful.

            To be really useful for the purpose of getting tiles, then the data source for feeding the simulator is important. I wrote one with data sources in mind.

            Mine can read a GPX file. By "moving" through each position in the file, the GPS sentence user updates the display triggering gathering tiles. For a road trip, this is quite useful. I run it multiple times for each zoom level and each tile type desired. Bounding boxes are another use for gather tiles within a specific rectangular area. A useful feature would also be "moving" through a polygon. This would limit tile gathering to a county or province or other area defined by a polygon. I use ExpertGPS to define polygons and save them as a GPX.

            Mostly, I create GPX files and follow them. http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:configure-overlays