Re: maps not showing

  • bcktmpete
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
      Maps are displaying on ppc6700 but not in the w32 aprs-is.

      When using the lft/rt keys outlines of the tile outlines will appear at full contrast, but no map detail. Double-clicking yields: 8173 tiles (74.89MB) located @ .../APRSIS32100616/

      ????

      Peter

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
        If you use a normal browser and go to http://OpenStreetMap.org and
        drag/zoom their slippy map to your location, what do you see? It may be
        that OSM has no details for your area.

        What callsign are you using and we can check this out based on your last
        beaconed position as well?

        Also, are you zooming in for the detail? That's the up/down keys or the
        +/- on the slider to the left of the screen.

        I actually suspect that the "tile outlines" you are seeing are actually
        the lat/lon lines that I draw when you've got the maps set to full
        transparency. (left arrow key). Crank on the right arrow key to get
        the maps to go to full opacity. (BTW, the tiles are 256x256 pixels
        which is rectangular if not square on your screen (Mercator Projected).
        The lat/lon lines are rounded due to the spherical earth.

        bcktmpete wrote:
        > Maps are displaying on ppc6700 but not in the w32 aprs-is.
        >
        > When using the lft/rt keys outlines of the tile outlines will appear at full contrast, but no map detail. Double-clicking yields: 8173 tiles (74.89MB) located @ .../APRSIS32100616/
        >
        > ????
        >
        > Peter
        >
        > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
        >
        >> If you double-click an empty spot within the circle after the client has
        >> been running for a while (maybe 5 minutes), what all does it tell you?
        >> It should show where the OSMTiles are being stored on the last line.
        >>
        >> The most common cause of not seeing maps is having them set too
        >> transparent. Hit the right arrow key bunches of times and see if your
        >> maps appear. Left arrow will increase the transparency (decrease the
        >> opacity) and make them disappear. Of course, if you're zoomed in real
        >> close on an area with no detail, the map will also appear to disappear!
        >>
        >> Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
        >>

        >> bcktmpete wrote:
        >>
        >>> Anyone mind helping me get the mapping sorted?
        >>>
        >>> It indicates it is saving tiles, but there is no map tiles visible on the unit. Asked for a tile directory when it first was initiated, wouldn't take my input, then crashed.
        >>>
        >>> Went in after reboot and made sub-dir in storage card under the aprsissce directory called osm_tiles. Never was asked where to put the tiles when they are uploaded.
        >>>
        >>> Running WM5, and run most everything I can off the storage card due to limitations of the stock memory.
        >>>
        >>> ideas or things to chase?
        >>>
        >>> Peter

      • bcktmpete
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
          See below for response to your ideas/questions.

          Been through all the menus any number of times. Tried to work it out before I posted, but I'm at loss now.

          Thanks,

          Peter

          > If you use a normal browser and go to http://OpenStreetMap.org and
          > drag/zoom their slippy map to your location, what do you see? It may be
          > that OSM has no details for your area.

          Quite detailed maps show on my WM5, just not in the W32 install. Same location.

          > What callsign are you using and we can check this out based on your last
          > beaconed position as well?

          VE7PPE (-9)

          > Also, are you zooming in for the detail? That's the up/down keys or the
          > +/- on the slider to the left of the screen.

          Zoomed all the way out to get a world view, in to a 3 mi scale. Prefetched maps at each zoom level. Still nothing showing.

          > I actually suspect that the "tile outlines" you are seeing are actually
          > the lat/lon lines that I draw when you've got the maps set to full
          > transparency. (left arrow key). Crank on the right arrow key to get
          > the maps to go to full opacity. (BTW, the tiles are 256x256 pixels
          > which is rectangular if not square on your screen (Mercator Projected).
          > The lat/lon lines are rounded due to the spherical earth.

          Nope. They show up under full opacity, but I'm going all the other way with the rt arrow key. It is faint edges that show when the contrast is high.

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
          Ok, what version of Windows are you running? What display
          adapter/display driver do you have? What color depth and screen
          resolution are you running? Can you do a screen capture and e-mail it
          to KJ4ERJ@...? I'm at a total loss on this one. Please also
          include a copy of your APRSIS32.xml file.

          PS. I've attached a 100% and 50% capture of your area. Hopefully the
          two images will come through.

        • bcktmpete
          Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
            XP; Intel 82810E Graphics controller; driver v#: 6.13.1.3198

            Is in an old IBM box as that is the only XP unit I have. Not sure on the screen resolution, but I believe it is at least 1050 (20 inch CRT). Works great for the windows GIS program I use in my work.

            Will email you the screen capture & xml file separately.

            Thanks, Peter

            > Ok, what version of Windows are you running? What display
            > adapter/display driver do you have? What color depth and screen
            > resolution are you running? Can you do a screen capture and e-mail it
            > to KJ4ERJ@...? I'm at a total loss on this one. Please also
            > include a copy of your APRSIS32.xml file.

            > PS. I've attached a 100% and 50% capture of your area. Hopefully the
            > two images will come through.
            >
            > bcktmpete wrote:
            > > See below for response to your ideas/questions.
            > >
            > > Been through all the menus any number of times. Tried to work it out before I posted, but I'm at loss now.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Peter
            > >
            > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@> wrote:
            > >
            > >> If you use a normal browser and go to http://OpenStreetMap.org and
            > >> drag/zoom their slippy map to your location, what do you see? It may be
            > >> that OSM has no details for your area.
            > >>

            > > Quite detailed maps show on my WM5, just not in the W32 install. Same location.
            > >
            > >> What callsign are you using and we can check this out based on your last
            > >> beaconed position as well?
            > >>

            > > VE7PPE (-9)
            > >
            > >> Also, are you zooming in for the detail? That's the up/down keys or the
            > >> +/- on the slider to the left of the screen.
            > >>

            > > Zoomed all the way out to get a world view, in to a 3 mi scale. Prefetched maps at each zoom level. Still nothing showing.
            > >

            > >> I actually suspect that the "tile outlines" you are seeing are actually
            > >> the lat/lon lines that I draw when you've got the maps set to full
            > >> transparency. (left arrow key). Crank on the right arrow key to get
            > >> the maps to go to full opacity. (BTW, the tiles are 256x256 pixels
            > >> which is rectangular if not square on your screen (Mercator Projected).
            > >> The lat/lon lines are rounded due to the spherical earth.
            > >>

            > > Nope. They show up under full opacity, but I'm going all the other way with the rt arrow key. It is faint edges that show when the contrast is high.
            > >
            > >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

          • bcktmpete
            Message 6 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
              By the way, how do I get the files to you? No luck figuring this yahoo attachments out. Email me and I reply with them.