Re: [aprsisce] Re: Delayed digipeats

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 18, 2013
      On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM, asbjorn.hauge <asbjorn.hauge@...> wrote:

      Do you have a user manual for your TNC? I only have the KPC-3 manual
      which describes the settings as it pertains to that device, but they
      should be similar.

      > I checked and reconfigured the TNC, but didn't solve any problems.

      > Slottime set to 0 (was 300ms)

      Slottime sets how long the TNC should wait before checking to see if
      it should try to gain access to the channel.

      > Persist set to 0 (just to be sure. It was 63)

      Persist controls the "odds" of whether the channel should be checked or not.

      These two combined determine when to try sending a packet. The unit
      waits the desired slottime, then the unit picks a random number
      between 0 and 255. If that random number is less than persist, the
      radio keys up, otherwise it goes back to the top waiting for slottime
      to expire. With persist set at 0, it's pretty hard to get a random
      number less than zero.

      > PPersist set to off
      > DWait set to 0

      Dwait is the other way to hold off... check that manual.

      > Ackprior is off (not sure if it matters)

      Dunno...
    • Rob Giuliano
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 18, 2013
        I was reading somewhere that there is an implementation where the use is reversed.
        That was what prompted the thought.

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 21, 2013

          > Do you have a user manual for your TNC? I only have the KPC-3 manual
          > which describes the settings as it pertains to that device, but they
          > should be similar.

          Yes I have the manual. I've checked out every parameter and tried out settings for everything that is related to KISS-mode. It works, but it's slow.

          Just to try out other possibilities: I have configured my TinyTrak4 to work in KISS, hooked it up and set APRSISCE/32 to use that one. It all works fairly well and all received packets are transferred to the software blazing fast (running 57600 baud). I still have a fair bit of delay using this setup (never less than three seconds from a free channel), while the same TNC config in UI-View is super-snappy (instant digipeat if channel is clear).

          From the logs I posted earlier, I see that APRSISCE/32 adds some strange traffic to the RS232-port and logs sent strings as mostly HEX data. Could it be the way the program sends data or handles the COM-port? I will try running it on another computer and different serial port just for comparison.

          --
          Asbjoern
          LA1HSA