How to block or filter objects from a certain call

  • mcfido@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 17, 2013
      In my area there is someone who is putting on all the repeater freq's,hospitals and Police stations through objects.
      This clutters the screen and is actually blocking out call signs of Digipeaters,Igates and other moving APRS mobiles.
      Is there a way of blocking or filtering out these with either his call sign or by blocking objects.
      thx
      Steve
      VA3TPS
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 17, 2013

        You could try –e/callsign*

        Steve Daniels

        Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

        Torbay Freecycle  Owner

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 17, 2013
          Or you could suggest to the object owner to upgrade to Aprsis32 and setup a QRU server.

          To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
          From: steve@...
          Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 20:48:24 +0000

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 17, 2013
            That'd knock out not only his objects, but also any packets gated if he's running an IGate.  Instead, just knock him and his packets out with -b/callsign*  This, of course, only works on the APRS-IS side.  If these objects are coming in via RF, you're stuck with them.

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 17, 2013
              At 02:37 PM 2013-03-17, mcfido@... wrote:

              In my area there is someone who is putting on all the repeater freq's,hospitals and Police stations through objects.
              This clutters the screen and is actually blocking out call signs of Digipeaters,Igates and other moving APRS mobiles.
              Is there a way of blocking or filtering out these with either his call sign or by blocking objects.

              Bob Bruninga suggests putting only the most active or most APRS friendly repeaters as objects.   Not all of them.

              Furthermore the other objects, hospitals, police stations, etc are all available on regular GPSs.   If an amateur can afford radios they can afford a GPS for about $100.    And how often do you actually visit a police station?  Not often I'd say.  If it's a 911 situation they usually come to you.

              Is there any way of having a friendly chat with the someone?

              Tony
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 18, 2013
                On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                > That'd knock out not only his objects, but also any packets gated if he's
                > running an IGate. Instead, just knock him and his packets out with
                > -b/callsign* This, of course, only works on the APRS-IS side. If these
                > objects are coming in via RF, you're stuck with them.

                Hey Mr. Programmer... there's also the view menu where you can select
                which types of stations you want to view. It's quite a bit of work to
                make it show everything *BUT* what you want, but you can do it.

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 18, 2013
                  On 3/18/2013 4:54 PM, James Ewen wrote:
                  > Hey Mr. Programmer... there's also the view menu where you can select
                  > which types of stations you want to view. It's quite a bit of work to
                  > make it show everything *BUT* what you want, but you can do it.

                  Been there. Thought about that. Think about it a LOT, but the
                  standard APRS-IS filter terms are packet-based, not station based.

                  I'm still in deliberation on the best way to implement a View filter.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 18, 2013
                    On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                    <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                    > Been there. Thought about that. Think about it a LOT, but the
                    > standard APRS-IS filter terms are packet-based, not station based.
                    >
                    > I'm still in deliberation on the best way to implement a View filter.

                    Ingest copious quantities of Mountain Dew to get the blood sugar and
                    caffeine levels up to dangerously high levels... speed programming
                    time!