Object Question

  • chuckbland
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 14, 2013
      For an upcoming event, we are setting-up temporary digipeaters on an alternate freq. None of the digis have GPS nor are they beaconing with a pre-programmed position.

      I want to mark them on my APRSIS map so that the path display will be able to use them.

      Do I add the digis as objects, using their callsign as the object ID, or am I using the wrong method?

      Chuck
    • Adam Mahnke
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 15, 2013
        The proper method IMHO would be to have them transmit their position on their own.

        If you insist on using aprsis32 from your net control then I would label them with the callsign that they would insert into the packet path, otherwise the path won't display, I'm not even sure doing that will accomplish what you're after.

        Adam
        KC2ANT

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 15, 2013
          "IF" you are only looking to have them show up on YOUR map, you can have them as local objects (not transmitted) by placing them in a POS file and loading it in APRSIS32.

          Someone can correct me  . . .  but, I believe as long as there is callsign substitutation, you are meeting the "on air" ID requirement.

          Robert Giuliano
          KB8RCO

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 15, 2013
            I would add the digis as objects, but if you only want them to show up on your map, DO NOT check the "via IS" or "via RF" boxes. You won't need a RF PATH either. You can use any ID you want so long as it fits in the "NAME" box. I think 9 characters is the limit if my memory is correct. Don't forget, you also have the comment box to aid in describing the digis. See:

            http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/createobject

            Since the "via" boxes are not check, the object isn't going anywhere except to your screen. I usually have half a dozen or so of these on my screen, even on my home computer, marking places I go or want to go. If someone asks me where one of these items are on the map, I have the location at my fingertips. Much easier than going to a stand alone map program.

            Mark
            KE6BB

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 15, 2013
              If you are adding the locations as objects, it sounds like the locations are known. Why not put the locations in the digipeaters?

              I am not sure if you have an object with the same names as the digipeater, that a displayed path will connect the dots. I suspect the best thing here is to test it or wait for Lynn to comment. Put your digi in service and create an object. Use the same name as the digi for the object name.

              I would add the digis as objects, but if you only want them to show up on your map, DO NOT check the "via IS" or "via RF" boxes. You won't need a RF PATH either. You can use any ID you want so long as it fits in the "NAME" box. I think 9 characters is the limit if my memory is correct. Don't forget, you also have the comment box to aid in describing the digis. See:

              http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/createobject

              Since the "via" boxes are not check, the object isn't going anywhere except to your screen. I usually have half a dozen or so of these on my screen, even on my home computer, marking places I go or want to go. If someone asks me where one of these items are on the map, I have the location at my fingertips. Much easier than going to a stand alone map program.

              Mark
              KE6BB

              --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "chuckbland" <BackForty@...> wrote:

              > For an upcoming event, we are setting-up temporary digipeaters on an alternate freq. None of the digis have GPS nor are they beaconing with a pre-programmed position.
              >
              > I want to mark them on my APRSIS map so that the path display will be able to use them.
              >
              > Do I add the digis as objects, using their callsign as the object ID, or am I using the wrong method?
              >
              > Chuck

            • Robert Bruninga
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 15, 2013

                Theoretically it should.  Every like “named” *thing* in APRS should be treated the same whether it is an object, or a station (no matter how it was received).  That was fundamental to APRS and unfortunately not properly implemented in some clients…  Though if it causes issues, I’d like to hear about them so we can resolve them.

                Bob, WB4APR

                And don't forget this: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/what-am-i-missing

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 15, 2013
                  I'm "hoping" that's the case, but I'm also hoping to dive into the code to see if the path drawing logic will pick up an Object's location instead of a "real" location of the digipeater's callsign-SSID.

                  Unfortunately, real-world work is preventing me from looking right now.

                  On 3/15/2013 11:41 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

                  Theoretically it should.  Every like “named” *thing* in APRS should be treated the same whether it is an object, or a station (no matter how it was received).  That was fundamental to APRS and unfortunately not properly implemented in some clients…  Though if it causes issues, I’d like to hear about them so we can resolve them.

                  Bob, WB4APR

                  If you are adding the locations as objects, it sounds like the locations are known. Why not put the locations in the digipeaters?

                  I am not sure if you have an object with the same names as the digipeater, that a displayed path will connect the dots. I suspect the best thing here is to test it or wait for Lynn to comment. Put your digi in service and create an object. Use the same name as the digi for the object name.

                  And don't forget this: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/what-am-i-missing

                  I would add the digis as objects, but if you only want them to show up on your map, DO NOT check the "via IS" or "via RF" boxes. You won't need a RF PATH either. You can use any ID you want so long as it fits in the "NAME" box. I think 9 characters is the limit if my memory is correct. Don't forget, you also have the comment box to aid in describing the digis. See:

                  http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/createobject

                  Since the "via" boxes are not check, the object isn't going anywhere except to your screen. I usually have half a dozen or so of these on my screen, even on my home computer, marking places I go or want to go. If someone asks me where one of these items are on the map, I have the location at my fingertips. Much easier than going to a stand alone map program.

                  Mark
                  KE6BB

                  --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "chuckbland" <BackForty@...> wrote:

                  > For an upcoming event, we are setting-up temporary digipeaters on an alternate freq. None of the digis have GPS nor are they beaconing with a pre-programmed position.
                  >
                  > I want to mark them on my APRSIS map so that the path display will be able to use them.
                  >
                  > Do I add the digis as objects, using their callsign as the object ID, or am I using the wrong method?
                  >
                  > Chuck

                • chuckbland
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 15, 2013
                    Fred,

                    Thanks for the "missing" link. I've been an advocate for APRSIS32, and such info will be helpful to getting the new folks started.

                    I have been using this program for a while, but this is the year to switch from UIVIEW to APRSIS32 for the bike event. Thus I am asking about features I haven't yet used.

                    Functionally, I don't have to have the paths working for what I *need* the program to do. However, this feature and a couple others are part of the "show value" for the event organizers. We will have many of them looking over our shoulder as we work. While it is most important to get the job done and know what we are doing, the "sizzle" factor helps make an even better impression. The path function looks pretty cool and also gives me a view of how effective digi placement is WRT the course.

                    Chuck

                    > If you are adding the locations as objects, it sounds like the locations are
                    > known. Why not put the locations in the digipeaters?
                    >
                    > I am not sure if you have an object with the same names as the digipeater,
                    > that a displayed path will connect the dots. I suspect the best thing here
                    > is to test it or wait for Lynn to comment. Put your digi in service and
                    > create an object. Use the same name as the digi for the object name.
                    >
                    > And don't forget this: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/what-am-i-missing
                    >
                    > Best regards,
                    > Fred, N7FMH
                    >

                    > _____

                  • chuckbland
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 15, 2013
                      Lynn,

                      We will be doing a system test on the 23rd and the bike event is on the 6th. I will let you know how things go. I am interesting, if you get the chance, in hearing what you look at the code reveals.

                      When I made the comment about the digis not sending location, I was really saying they don't have GPS units attached. I hadn't thought about setting the beacons.

                      Up to two of the three digis are TT4-based, so that's a no-brainer. The fourth is a TNC2 wit UIDIGI PROMS. I'll have to see if I can 1) change the beacons, and 2) what might cause those settings to revert back to defaults.

                      > I'm "hoping" that's the case, but I'm also hoping to dive into the code
                      > to see if the path drawing logic will pick up an Object's location
                      > instead of a "real" location of the digipeater's callsign-SSID.
                      >
                      > Unfortunately, real-world work is preventing me from looking right now.

                      > On 3/15/2013 11:41 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Theoretically it should. Every like "named" **thing** in APRS should
                      > > be treated the same whether it is an object, or a station (no matter
                      > > how it was received). That was fundamental to APRS and unfortunately
                      > > not properly implemented in some clients… Though if it causes issues,
                      > > I'd like to hear about them so we can resolve them.
                      > >
                      > > Bob, WB4APR

                    • James Gibbard
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 15, 2013

                        To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                        If you are adding the locations as objects, it sounds like the locations are known. Why not put the locations in the digipeaters?

                        I am not sure if you have an object with the same names as the digipeater, that a displayed path will connect the dots. I suspect the best thing here is to test it or wait for Lynn to comment. Put your digi in service and create an object. Use the same name as the digi for the object name.

                        And don't forget this: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/what-am-i-missing

                        I would add the digis as objects, but if you only want them to show up on your map, DO NOT check the "via IS" or "via RF" boxes. You won't need a RF PATH either. You can use any ID you want so long as it fits in the "NAME" box. I think 9 characters is the limit if my memory is correct. Don't forget, you also have the comment box to aid in describing the digis. See:

                        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/createobject

                        Since the "via" boxes are not check, the object isn't going anywhere except to your screen. I usually have half a dozen or so of these on my screen, even on my home computer, marking places I go or want to go. If someone asks me where one of these items are on the map, I have the location at my fingertips. Much easier than going to a stand alone map program.

                        Mark
                        KE6BB

                        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "chuckbland" <BackForty@...> wrote:

                        > For an upcoming event, we are setting-up temporary digipeaters on an alternate freq. None of the digis have GPS nor are they beaconing with a pre-programmed position.
                        >
                        > I want to mark them on my APRSIS map so that the path display will be able to use them.
                        >
                        > Do I add the digis as objects, using their callsign as the object ID, or am I using the wrong method?
                        >
                        > Chuck

                      • chuckbland
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 15, 2013
                          Update on things,

                          All the digis have new beacons that contain the coords. They are showing-up nicely on the map and the paths are working.

                          I'll update again after test day.

                          Chuck

                          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "chuckbland" <BackForty@...> wrote:

                          > For an upcoming event, we are setting-up temporary digipeaters on an alternate freq. None of the digis have GPS nor are they beaconing with a pre-programmed position.
                          >
                          > I want to mark them on my APRSIS map so that the path display will be able to use them.
                          >
                          > Do I add the digis as objects, using their callsign as the object ID, or am I using the wrong method?
                          >
                          > Chuck

                        • Tony VE6MVP
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 17, 2013
                            At 08:30 PM 2013-03-15, chuckbland wrote:

                            All the digis have new beacons that contain the coords. They are showing-up nicely on the map and the paths are working.

                            The cynic (black humour) in me is thinking that the person responsible for placing the digis will completely disregard the location they are supposed to be in and randomly place them.   <wry smile>

                            Tony
                          • chuckbland
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 18, 2013
                              :-)

                              That gentleman lives around the corner from me. Such a humorous stunt would mean I'd HAVE to buy-up the toilet paper inventory at my local Costco and decorate his 2 acre lot for him..... after I got over my network not working for the bike event......

                              Chuck

                              --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

                              > At 08:30 PM 2013-03-15, chuckbland wrote:
                              >
                              > >All the digis have new beacons that contain the coords. They are
                              > >showing-up nicely on the map and the paths are working.
                              >
                              > The cynic (black humour) in me is thinking that the person
                              > responsible for placing the digis will completely disregard the
                              > location they are supposed to be in and randomly place them. <wry smile>
                              >
                              > Tony

                            • chuckbland
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
                                Our testing activity yesterday was a huge success and preparation for the bike event on 4/6. This was my first major use of the APRSISCE (beyond just playing at home) and the program performed beautifully.

                                I've been watching the recent thread about filtering units. I have what I think is a slightly different requirement. I want to only allow units with the call of k6arc* to be displayed. I don't want to see any of the other mobiles and digis out there. I did add a 'b' filter, but I either did it wrong or it doesn't do what I want. How do I accomplish this task?

                                I would like to know how keep the digis displayed on the screen. They are sending objects, like this...

                                /000000h3814.82N/12048.33W#

                                Am I remembering there is a time value in these beacons that influences how long they appear? If so, that would be the zeros, which I'd bet would cause them to vanish from my display almost right away. Is that indeed so?

                                I think that's enough questions for now.

                                Chuck

                                --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "chuckbland" <BackForty@...> wrote:

                                > Update on things,
                                >
                                > All the digis have new beacons that contain the coords. They are showing-up nicely on the map and the paths are working.
                                >
                                > I'll update again after test day.
                                >
                                > Chuck
                                >
                                > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "chuckbland" <BackForty@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > For an upcoming event, we are setting-up temporary digipeaters on an alternate freq. None of the digis have GPS nor are they beaconing with a pre-programmed position.
                                > >
                                > > I want to mark them on my APRSIS map so that the path display will be able to use them.
                                > >
                                > > Do I add the digis as objects, using their callsign as the object ID, or am I using the wrong method?
                                > >
                                > > Chuck

                              • Adam Mahnke
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
                                  The filters work for the APRSIS stream not anything from RF.

                                  you can use the view menu to choose specific symbols though.

                                  Only way I know to get only stations involved is to use a separate frequency

                                  Adam
                                  KC2ANT

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
                                    Use View / Shrieks in conjunction with Nicknames for the stations you wish to see.

                                    From http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:view

                                    Shrieks (formerly SkyWarn)
                                    APRSISCE/32 parses any !<nonwhitespace>! from comments and groups (up to 32 of) them into a View / Shrieks submenu. This allows event coordinators to pick a suitable !EVENT! for stations to put in their beacon comment to provide easy on-screen filtering of only the stations participating in the event. The Spotter Network requires their users to put !SN! in their comment, so you can expect to see !SN! in the View / Shrieks menu if any such stations are in your range.

                                    !Shriek!s are also parsed from nickname comments EVEN if the nickname or comment is not enabled! This allows you to nickname your favorite stations with a !WATCHME! comment and then View / Shrieks / !WATCHME! to see ONLY those stations! You could even nickname stations as !VIEW1!, !VIEW2!, !VIEW3!, and so forth to build your own local MultiTrack views of specific stations. A single station can even have multiple !VIEWn! tags in the comment to put them on multiple views.

                                    If nicknames are enabled, and a station has a nickname, and that nickname overrides the comment, then ONLY the comment's Shrieks are used. The comment received from the station will be ignored completely for Shriek purposes. After these conditions are no longer met, a new packet from the station must be received to get a proper !Shriek! for the station.

                                    (So, why "Shriek"? Search for Shriek at Wikipedia)

                                    On 3/25/2013 5:01 PM, Adam Mahnke wrote:
                                    The filters work for the APRSIS stream not anything from RF.

                                    you can use the view menu to choose specific symbols though.

                                    Only way I know to get only stations involved is to use a separate frequency

                                    Adam
                                    KC2ANT

                                    Our testing activity yesterday was a huge success and preparation for the bike event on 4/6. This was my first major use of the APRSISCE (beyond just playing at home) and the program performed beautifully.

                                    I've been watching the recent thread about filtering units. I have what I think is a slightly different requirement. I want to only allow units with the call of k6arc* to be displayed. I don't want to see any of the other mobiles and digis out there. I did add a 'b' filter, but I either did it wrong or it doesn't do what I want. How do I accomplish this task?

                                    I would like to know how keep the digis displayed on the screen. They are sending objects, like this...

                                    /000000h3814.82N/12048.33W#

                                    Am I remembering there is a time value in these beacons that influences how long they appear? If so, that would be the zeros, which I'd bet would cause them to vanish from my display almost right away. Is that indeed so?

                                    I think that's enough questions for now.

                                    Chuck

                                    --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "chuckbland" <BackForty@...> wrote:

                                    > Update on things,
                                    >
                                    > All the digis have new beacons that contain the coords. They are showing-up nicely on the map and the paths are working.
                                    >
                                    > I'll update again after test day.
                                    >
                                    > Chuck
                                    >
                                    > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "chuckbland" <BackForty@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > For an upcoming event, we are setting-up temporary digipeaters on an alternate freq. None of the digis have GPS nor are they beaconing with a pre-programmed position.
                                    > >
                                    > > I want to mark them on my APRSIS map so that the path display will be able to use them.
                                    > >
                                    > > Do I add the digis as objects, using their callsign as the object ID, or am I using the wrong method?
                                    > >
                                    > > Chuck

                                  • Adam Mahnke
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
                                      DOH.