Re: [aprsisce] Near by RX-Only iGate is taking all the traffic to the internet.

  • Lee D Bengston
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 11, 2013
      Sounds like the WX3in1 is doing it all in hardware with lower latency.  I noticed on the website for that product that it does support forwarding messages from APRS-IS to RF, so perhaps the operator could be contacted about configuring it to do that.

      There's an IGate in my area that is always logged into T2SWEDEN, and I have wondered if the owner does that in order to be closer to Finland and therefore aprs.fi in an effort to get credit for more packets gated to APRS-IS.  I don't know if that really works or not, though, but you could always experiment with different servers, and see if there is any difference.  Be sure to avoid T2FINLAND, however, because I understand that is a relatively underpowered machine.

      I've never been able to get a message from the Internet to my D7A unless my own IGate is running, so I suspect the closest IGates to me are Rx-only as well.  I think there are quite a few operators out there with good intentions that are reluctant to enable any IS to RF packet forwarding (and when I first tried IGating I was one of them) for fear of connecting a fire hose to a 1200 baud channel.  In most cases I don't think they realize that checking that IS to RF box means messages only - at least that's what it does by default in at least 2 software packages that I am familiar with.

      It's unfortunate that more IGate operators are not on the "SIG" mailing list and others like this one 'cause there's lots of good information to be had.

      Lee - K5DAT

      On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM, tech_edu <tech_edu@...> wrote:

      I have been running APRSISCE for a couple of years without any issues. Now another HAM has decided to put up a RX-Only iGate and I noticed that all the traffic is now getting to APRS-IS through his iGate even though I am hearing all the same packets. I used to be the only iGate in over 100+ miles radius.

      My TNC has changed through the years, but I have been using for over a year now the TNC-X I put together from TNC-X.com and it works very well.

      It is not a big deal, but I wonder if there is anything I could change so packets get iGated though my system to justify keeping the computer on 24/7. The other HAM is using an embedded tnc/igate/digi called WX3in1 Plus made by Microsat.

      Thanks in advance.

      Edgar / KC2UEZ

    • Tony VE6MVP
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 11, 2013
        At 06:33 PM 2013-03-11, Lee D Bengston wrote:

         It's unfortunate that more IGate operators are not on the "SIG" mailing list and others like this one 'cause there's lots of good information to be had.

        What SIG mailing list?  What others would you suggest?

        Tony VA6OO
      • Ben Timmerman.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 11, 2013
          Edgar,
              What is the call sign on your Digi?  The only one I see that is listed as current is KC2UEZ-7.  I don’t think that is your Digi.
          Ben
          AC4HG

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 11, 2013
            Hi,

            The iGate I run is under the clubs call K2JJI-5, the RX-Only iGate is W2MRD-10

            Thanks,
            Edgar / KC2UEZ

            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Timmerman.com" <ben@...> wrote:

            > Edgar,
            > What is the call sign on your Digi? The only one I see that is listed as current is KC2UEZ-7. I don’t think that is your Digi.
            > Ben
            > AC4HG

          • tech_edu
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 11, 2013
              Hi,

              I have contacted the OM already, he is running his iGate out of a scanner. I didn't want to just flat out tell him to turn it off, but I did explained that I was getting the same packets and since I had TX enabled, his iGate wasn't really necessary. But I guess he just ignored my comment.

              I was thinking maybe there was some buffer/delay that I could modify to speed up the data path to the APRS-IS network. I use the NOAM aprs2 server pool. I noticed the server I connect to changes from time to time.

              Thanks,
              Edgar / KC2UEZ

              --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Lee D Bengston <kilo5dat@...> wrote:

              > Sounds like the WX3in1 is doing it all in hardware with lower latency. I
              > noticed on the website for that product that it does support forwarding
              > messages from APRS-IS to RF, so perhaps the operator could be contacted
              > about configuring it to do that.
              >
              > There's an IGate in my area that is always logged into T2SWEDEN, and I have
              > wondered if the owner does that in order to be closer to Finland and
              > therefore aprs.fi in an effort to get credit for more packets gated to
              > APRS-IS. I don't know if that really works or not, though, but you could
              > always experiment with different servers, and see if there is any
              > difference. Be sure to avoid T2FINLAND, however, because I understand that
              > is a relatively underpowered machine.
              >
              > I've never been able to get a message from the Internet to my D7A unless my
              > own IGate is running, so I suspect the closest IGates to me are Rx-only as
              > well. I think there are quite a few operators out there with good
              > intentions that are reluctant to enable any IS to RF packet forwarding (and
              > when I first tried IGating I was one of them) for fear of connecting a fire
              > hose to a 1200 baud channel. In most cases I don't think they realize that
              > checking that IS to RF box means messages only - at least that's what it
              > does by default in at least 2 software packages that I am familiar with.
              >
              > It's unfortunate that more IGate operators are not on the "SIG" mailing
              > list and others like this one 'cause there's lots of good information to be
              > had.
              >
              > Lee - K5DAT
              >

              > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM, tech_edu <tech_edu@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > I have been running APRSISCE for a couple of years without any issues. Now
              > > another HAM has decided to put up a RX-Only iGate and I noticed that all
              > > the traffic is now getting to APRS-IS through his iGate even though I am
              > > hearing all the same packets. I used to be the only iGate in over 100+
              > > miles radius.
              > >
              > > My TNC has changed through the years, but I have been using for over a
              > > year now the TNC-X I put together from TNC-X.com and it works very well.
              > >
              > > It is not a big deal, but I wonder if there is anything I could change so
              > > packets get iGated though my system to justify keeping the computer on
              > > 24/7. The other HAM is using an embedded tnc/igate/digi called WX3in1 Plus
              > > made by Microsat.
              > >
              > > Thanks in advance.
              > >
              > > Edgar / KC2UEZ

            • tech_edu
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 12, 2013
                Hi,

                I think that is a good idea, I noticed that I am connected to puerto rico, I will change it to connect to the NY server. Will post later if I see any changes.