Bulletins

  • Robin Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
      Hi Lynn,
      What triggers the bulletins to be sent out.

      Robin ZL3REW
    • Robin Williams
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
        Whoops. Try again.
        The ones that you keep sending out.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
          Robin,

          I'm sending bulletins out from KJ4ERJ-AP every 25 minutes. This is in
          keeping with a 30 minute "net cycle time" that says that anyone joining
          the APRS network should get an understanding of what's going on with in
          30 minutes or so. On a more local level, a net cycle time of 10 minutes
          is actually more appropriate.

          There is no trigger other than time for APRSISCE/32 to send out
          bulletins. If you've got ideas on triggers and can describe how they'd
          be useful, I'll be all ears (er eyes).

          A future release of APRSISCE/32 will store the received bulletins like
          it does the telemetry definitions so it will stop bringing up the
          notification window that you're probably noticing now unless the content
          of the bulletin changes. This will be done before the next general
          (non-development) release of the client.

          Robin Williams wrote:

          > Hi Lynn,
          > What triggers the bulletins to be sent out.
          >
          > Robin ZL3REW

        • fmcravey
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
            Do I need to set up something to recieve Bulletins? I'm using APRSIS32 when I select Messages / Bulletins / View all I get is a window with "Recieved From::* Text Date". I have not seen any actual bulletins.

            Thanks for the great application,

            Fran
            N4OGP
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
              You will only receive bulletins sent by stations otherwise within your
              filters or local RF area if you have RF ports enabled. If you add
              b/KJ4ERJ-AP to your Configure / General / Add Filter, you'll get my
              development bulletins as they are sent from my KJ4ERJ-AP (application)
              instance.

              Since bulletins are actually transmitted as APRS messages, adding t/m to
              your filter will give you all bulletins worldwide. But it will also
              give you every single message transmitted via the APRS-IS network,
              something you may or may not want, especially if you are Eavesdropping.

              You can see all of the bulletins at http://aprs.fi/bulletin/ as well.
              There aren't really that many world-wide, so I'm not surprised any given
              local area may not have any to see.

              fmcravey wrote:
              > Do I need to set up something to recieve Bulletins? I'm using APRSIS32 when I select Messages / Bulletins / View all I get is a window with "Recieved From::* Text Date". I have not seen any actual bulletins.
              >
              > Thanks for the great application,
              >
              > Fran
              > N4OGP

            • fmcravey
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
                Great, I added your filter and it's working ..

                Thanks for your quick response, love the application. Much better than APRSPoint..

                Thanks Again,
                Fran
                N4OGP

                > You will only receive bulletins sent by stations otherwise within your
                > filters or local RF area if you have RF ports enabled. If you add
                > b/KJ4ERJ-AP to your Configure / General / Add Filter, you'll get my
                > development bulletins as they are sent from my KJ4ERJ-AP (application)
                > instance.
                >
                > Since bulletins are actually transmitted as APRS messages, adding t/m to
                > your filter will give you all bulletins worldwide. But it will also
                > give you every single message transmitted via the APRS-IS network,
                > something you may or may not want, especially if you are Eavesdropping.
                >
                > You can see all of the bulletins at http://aprs.fi/bulletin/ as well.
                > There aren't really that many world-wide, so I'm not surprised any given
                > local area may not have any to see.

                > fmcravey wrote:
                > > Do I need to set up something to recieve Bulletins? I'm using APRSIS32 when I select Messages / Bulletins / View all I get is a window with "Recieved From::* Text Date". I have not seen any actual bulletins.
                > >
                > > Thanks for the great application,
                > >
                > > Fran
                > > N4OGP

              • Tony VE6MVP
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
                  At 10:20 PM 2013-04-30, James Ewen wrote in the D710 mailing list
                  You can also set a BULLETIN code as well. I have not
                  played with Bulletins since people around here rarely send messages,
                  let alone bulletins. Most people don't realize APRS is a
                  bi-directional communication medium.

                  Well, let's see if I can raise a bit of fuss with bulletins here in WIDE2-2 and AB7-7 land.  <smile>    Bulletins sent.  Let's see if any response.

                  One thing I did notice on the Wiki page http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/bulletins it states  "The length of a bulletin line is limited to ? Characters, multi line bulletins can be created by assigning a line number to each comment. This is done with the unlabeled drop down menu, next to the enabled tickbox. "

                  Lynn, how many characters?     And without that Wiki page I would've had no idea what that single character drop down/combo box meant.

                  I don't know anything about Bulletins but if I understand the checkmark beside Messages >> Bulletins >> Notify I suspect I'd prefer the default to be seeing Bulletins

                  Also if someone is going to update that page consider adding a link to the APRS.FI page showing bulletins.  http://aprs.fi/bulletin/

                  Would this also be a suitable means for an emergency alert to go to all APRS stations?  For example say it's the only good way of notifying anyone else in the province to get ARES listening to APRS message traffic?    I'm thinking of the scenario where all comms other than amateur radio are out and there aren't any linked repeater systems available to me but APRS is available.  So it's either some kind of broadcast message alerting every APRS user we need help or HF.

                  Or are bulletins more for non location specific items such as announcements for a net this evening?

                  Tony