Re: [aprsisce] Re: Delayed digipeats

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 11, 2013
      On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:34 AM, asbjorn.hauge <asbjorn.hauge@...> wrote:

      >> Can you provide some evidence of the 3 to 15 second delayed packet
      >> digipeating?
      >
      > Then I have to make a video or something showing when the TNC is transmitting
      > the packet. What is shown in the log does not correspond to what/when it puts out on the serial port.

      Hmm, that's a different can of worms...

      We can't see that happening from the raw packets.

      > If I set my radios to 144.825 where there's no traffic, my fill-in will digipeat my
      > handheld's beacon after 3-6 seconds, but the logs will show immediate processing.

      That's wierd...

      > This makes me think that the program does everything right, but the problem lies
      > in the communication to the TNC. The same serial setup works perfectly with UI-View,
      > so I don't think that's the problem, but could the transmit string to the TNC be a problem?

      It shouldn't affect it, but something different is happening.

      > If you look at it, it contains a combination of hex codes and ASCII. The TNC is
      > in KISS-mode at 9600 baud, direct serial connection.

      I don't play in KISS mode a whole lot, perhaps Lynn can tell us if
      that looks right.

    • asbjorn.hauge
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 18, 2013

        > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:34 AM, asbjorn.hauge <asbjorn.hauge@...> wrote:
        >
        > >> Can you provide some evidence of the 3 to 15 second delayed packet
        > >> digipeating?
        > >
        > > Then I have to make a video or something showing when the TNC is transmitting
        > > the packet. What is shown in the log does not correspond to what/when it puts out on the serial port.
        >
        > Hmm, that's a different can of worms...
        >
        > We can't see that happening from the raw packets.

        I'll see if I can arrange a video of it. Will be tricky showing the TNC and the program at the same time.

        > > If you look at it, it contains a combination of hex codes and ASCII. The TNC is
        > > in KISS-mode at 9600 baud, direct serial connection.
        >
        > I don't play in KISS mode a whole lot, perhaps Lynn can tell us if
        > that looks right.

        Lynn, do you have any ideas or suggestions to this problem?

        My station had digipeater-duty during an event this weekend (on alternative frequency) and I was the only digi. Incoming packets were delayed a few seconds (on a clear frequency). My own beacons or objects are sent instantly, so it only affects digipeating. Trace logs show instant digipeating, but it delays before sending it to the RS232 port.

        I am out of clues right now and any help will be appreciated.

        --
        Asbjørn
        LA1HSA
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 18, 2013
          Are you sure this is not related to your "SlotTime" and "Persist" settings?

          Since it seems to be better when transmitting directly (vs digi), this may ave some impact.

          Beacon -> channel may have been "free" for some time and the transmit "just happens".

          DIGI -> channel "WAS" just active with the data you received
             SlotTime and Persist are used to improve the chances of a clear transmission.

          Try changing these for the TNC in use and see if that changes your delay.

          Robert Giuliano
          KB8RCO

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 18, 2013
            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:

            > Are you sure this is not related to your "SlotTime" and "Persist" settings?

            That may just be the answer! I will check that when I get home. I didn't think those parameters were affected when the TNC is in KISS-mode, but apparently they are.
            I will see what it's set at and try changing the KISS initialization in APRSIS32.

            > Since it seems to be better when transmitting directly (vs digi), this may ave some impact.
            >
            > Beacon -> channel may have been "free" for some time and the transmit "just happens".
            >
            > DIGI -> channel "WAS" just active with the data you received
            >    SlotTime and Persist are used to improve the chances of a clear transmission.
            >

            > Try changing these for the TNC in use and see if that changes your delay.

            I will do. Thanks for the tip :) Will report back when I have a result.

            --
            Asbjoern
            LA1HSA
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 18, 2013
              On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM, asbjorn.hauge <asbjorn.hauge@...> wrote:

              > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Are you sure this is not related to your "SlotTime" and "Persist" settings?
              >
              > That may just be the answer! I will check that when I get home.

              3 to 15 seconds seems awfully long for slottime and persist.

              If persist were set very low, then the odds of it being hit are pretty
              slim, and if slottime were very high you could wait a long time
              between random checks.... I suppose it is possible.

            • asbjorn.hauge
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 18, 2013

                > 3 to 15 seconds seems awfully long for slottime and persist.
                >
                > If persist were set very low, then the odds of it being hit are pretty
                > slim, and if slottime were very high you could wait a long time
                > between random checks.... I suppose it is possible.

                I checked and reconfigured the TNC, but didn't solve any problems.
                Slottime set to 0 (was 300ms)
                Persist set to 0 (just to be sure. It was 63)
                PPersist set to off
                DWait set to 0
                Ackprior is off (not sure if it matters)

                I installed a serial port sniffer to see what and when data was sent and received. APRSIS32 responds quickly and the packet is verified sent over RS232 about 600ms after it was received. So, the problem lies within the TNC.

                Does anyone have a known working init script for PK-232? Seems like mine is not quite perfect, but it's adopted from UI-View which doesn't have this problem.

                --
                Asbjoern
                LA1HSA
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 18, 2013
                  On 3/18/2013 6:09 PM, asbjorn.hauge wrote:
                  > Does anyone have a known working init script for PK-232? Seems like mine is not quite perfect, but it's adopted from UI-View which doesn't have this problem.

                  UI-View may send some additional timing parameters in the KISS protocol
                  during port initialization. APRSISCE/32 assumes these have all been
                  done by configuration commands and not via the KISS set commands.

                  Does anyone know this detail about UI-View? Or can someone capture the
                  actual KISS packets from an RS-232 sniffer during both UI-View and
                  APRSISCE/32 KISS port startup? The packets of interest would be the
                  first set of packets wrapped in <C0>...<C0> KISS delimiters, not the
                  ASCII port commands just prior to commanding KISS mode to start.

                • asbjorn.hauge
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 18, 2013

                    > On 3/18/2013 6:09 PM, asbjorn.hauge wrote:
                    > > Does anyone have a known working init script for PK-232? Seems like mine is not quite perfect, but it's adopted from UI-View which doesn't have this problem.
                    >
                    > UI-View may send some additional timing parameters in the KISS protocol
                    > during port initialization. APRSISCE/32 assumes these have all been
                    > done by configuration commands and not via the KISS set commands.

                    Thank you for the response, Lynn.

                    I can't see any other controls before it enters KISS-mode, at least not in my captures.

                    > Does anyone know this detail about UI-View? Or can someone capture the
                    > actual KISS packets from an RS-232 sniffer during both UI-View and
                    > APRSISCE/32 KISS port startup? The packets of interest would be the
                    > first set of packets wrapped in <C0>...<C0> KISS delimiters, not the
                    > ASCII port commands just prior to commanding KISS mode to start.

                    I have made captures from both UI-VIew and APRSISCE/32. Capture is running while I start the program and all inits are done. The result would be cluttered in a post here, so I'm posting links to both text files (hope those links are allowed here).

                    UI-View init: http://la1hsa.com/digi/UI-View_init.txt
                    APRSISCE/32 init: http://la1hsa.com/digi/APRSIS32_init.txt

                    There are some overhead in those files, but removing the header would mess up the formatting.
                    From what I see in the APRSISCE/32-file, I have a constant data flow, but that is "control parameters" and warnings from the capture program. The logs should be colour-coded to show TX/RX (and they are here). If you want, I can post them in RTF to make you able to see the difference.

                    If there is any other way you want me to capture data, just tell me and I'll do my best.

                    --
                    Asbjoern
                    LA1HSA
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 18, 2013
                      On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM, asbjorn.hauge <asbjorn.hauge@...> wrote:

                      Do you have a user manual for your TNC? I only have the KPC-3 manual
                      which describes the settings as it pertains to that device, but they
                      should be similar.

                      > I checked and reconfigured the TNC, but didn't solve any problems.

                      > Slottime set to 0 (was 300ms)

                      Slottime sets how long the TNC should wait before checking to see if
                      it should try to gain access to the channel.

                      > Persist set to 0 (just to be sure. It was 63)

                      Persist controls the "odds" of whether the channel should be checked or not.

                      These two combined determine when to try sending a packet. The unit
                      waits the desired slottime, then the unit picks a random number
                      between 0 and 255. If that random number is less than persist, the
                      radio keys up, otherwise it goes back to the top waiting for slottime
                      to expire. With persist set at 0, it's pretty hard to get a random
                      number less than zero.

                      > PPersist set to off
                      > DWait set to 0

                      Dwait is the other way to hold off... check that manual.

                      > Ackprior is off (not sure if it matters)

                      Dunno...
                    • Rob Giuliano
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 18, 2013
                        I was reading somewhere that there is an implementation where the use is reversed.
                        That was what prompted the thought.

                        Robert Giuliano
                        KB8RCO

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 21, 2013

                          > Do you have a user manual for your TNC? I only have the KPC-3 manual
                          > which describes the settings as it pertains to that device, but they
                          > should be similar.

                          Yes I have the manual. I've checked out every parameter and tried out settings for everything that is related to KISS-mode. It works, but it's slow.

                          Just to try out other possibilities: I have configured my TinyTrak4 to work in KISS, hooked it up and set APRSISCE/32 to use that one. It all works fairly well and all received packets are transferred to the software blazing fast (running 57600 baud). I still have a fair bit of delay using this setup (never less than three seconds from a free channel), while the same TNC config in UI-View is super-snappy (instant digipeat if channel is clear).

                          From the logs I posted earlier, I see that APRSISCE/32 adds some strange traffic to the RS232-port and logs sent strings as mostly HEX data. Could it be the way the program sends data or handles the COM-port? I will try running it on another computer and different serial port just for comparison.

                          --
                          Asbjoern
                          LA1HSA