Re: [aprsisce] Re: KD5NJR-10 : APRSIS32 tested with UZ7HO, SDR# and USB DVB tuner dongle.

  • Greg Ames
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 10, 2013
      FYI, NooElec also sells through their own website (www.nooelec.com) for slightly less then their prices through amazon.  No experience; I just did some pre-order research.

      There was an article on the Jan 2013 issue of QST on using these dongles for SDR

    • wt9m
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 9, 2016
        I have the UZ7HO software decoding packets from my usb SDR on my computer.
        How do I set up APRSIS32 to get the data from UZ7HO program ?
        Thanks,
        Larry WT9M
      • Rob Giuliano
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 10, 2016
          From the menu choose:
          >Configure >Ports >New Port
            In the dialog box that comes up set the Port Type to AGW
            Then give it a name like UZ7HO
          Press <Create>
            Then <TCP/IP> in the next dialog box

          Next dilog box use localhost for IP or DNS, if on the same computer (or the computer information where UZ7HO is running).  Also out the ip port from UZ7HO in the "Port" box (typically 8000).  Don't forget to forwad/open the port is this is a remote computer.

          Hit <OK>

          Verify checkboxes in main setup and hit <Accept>

          If the IP and port are correct, the status above the scroller should start with UZ7HO_Connect (probably won't see) and qiuckly change to UZ7HO_OK
          Robert Giuliano
          KB8RCO

          PS:  key: <> buttons
                         >{command} menu items
                          {Bold} typed input

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 10, 2016
              Since UZ7HO also allows KISS over TCP/IP, you could enable and use that style port.

              Choose "Simple(KISS)" as the "Type" and after hitting <Create>
                 <TCP/IP>
                    localhost
                    8100
              I think 8100 is the default KISS port on UZ7HO.

              I know the KISS port will not allow TX for multiple streams (KISS Ports for stereo sound card input and output).
              Lynn would know if the AGW port does?

              Robert Giuliano
              KB8RCO

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 10, 2016
                Thanks - got it working.
                I had tried some of that stuff before . I had a Port 80  open for something else  and disabled it in the router . Not sure if that was interfering with AGW port 8000 or not. Anyway it is working now. I am still learning how all the port stuff works, but making some progress!
                Larry WT9M
              • Rob Giuliano
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 10, 2016
                  I was talking about IP ports on the computer.

                  Are you connecting through a router - through the internet?
                  On a router, the port should be forwarded (associated with a particular IP on the local network) to ensure proper function and security.

                  I would be careful about opening ports to the "world" in a router.

                  This site has some useful information on IP ports in Windows

                  Leave the router as secure as you can!

                  Robert Giuliano
                  KB8RCO

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 10, 2016
                    Yes it is all on the same computer .
                    I made AGW port , put in my computers IP address and port 8000 which is what UZ7HO software output it on.
                    I thought I saw some error and checked my router and shut off different program port I had open but not using - just to make sure it wasn't causing the error.

                    Anyway - I got it working !

                    Only thing different than normal setup is I have SDR Sharp program set to output audio on Virtual Audio Cable2 and UZ7HO software listening for it there. I feel like I am earning my geek credentials figuring all this out.

                    Larry WT9M
                  • Greg D

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 10, 2016
                        If it is all on the same computer, then don't use an external IP or hostname, use the IP or hostname reservered for internal (within the same computer):
                                          IP:   127.0.0.1
                           Hostname:   localhost

                        either will work, and you don't have to open external ports.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 11, 2016
                           I put in the 127.0.0.1 and it works .
                          I appreciate the tips Rob .
                          Not sure what I will ultimately do - experimenting and learning now with the usb SDR .
                          Larry WT9M
                        • Rob Giuliano
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 11, 2016
                            Experimentation - Always a aspect of the hobby!
                            Robert Giuliano
                            KB8RCO

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 12, 2016
                            >This site has some useful information on IP ports in Windows
                            >https://superuser.com/questions/407623/how-can-i-disable-any-tcp-ip-port-on-a-windows-7-machine

                            Intersting site, will reference that when issues of disabling or enabling ports. Occasionally I wonder what is a port.* Craig Anderson of SJ RACES (www.sjraces.org) made this diagram (attached) during a quick review of networks. This shows the bottom layer of wires, connectors, to the upper layer of TCP/IP and where these ports are addressed. Craig began this brief presentation, "only difference between networking and networking is just one letter." illustrating how entire system can stop with just one misplaced digit, command, or address.

                            I looked up for list of IP ports, this seemed to be less cluttered list, http://web.mit.edu/rhel-doc/4/RH-DOCS/rhel-sg-en-4/ch-ports.html

                            Mike K6MFW

                            * There was some discussion in a computer forum among networking gurus, a lay person jumped into discussion asking "what is a port?" He was answered, "it's like a train station but for ships."
                          • Rob Giuliano
                            Message 14 of 21 , Jul 13, 2016
                              Just dug up my USb interface and downloaded the latest SDR#.

                              I don't see where you setup virtual audio cables?

                              Robert Giuliano
                              KB8RCO

                              Message 15 of 21 , Jul 14, 2016
                                Robert ,
                                Virtual Audio Cable was a program I installed separately from SDR Sharp. In SDR Sharp program there is a drop down menu on under Audio Output ( and Input too ) and that is where options are for computer speakers ( Windows Direct Audio ) or Virtual Audio Cable  1 and 2

                                Larry WT9M
                              • Rob Giuliano
                                Message 16 of 21 , Jul 14, 2016
                                  I have used jackd on linux before, but never quite got it to work with virtual devices/channels.
                                  I've also seen VBCable as an alternative, but have no experience with it.

                                  I will try VAC (Virtual Audio Cable).

                                  Thanks!

                                  Robert Giuliano
                                  KB8RCO