KD5NJR-10 : APRSIS32 tested with UZ7HO, SDR# and USB DVB tuner dongle.

  • kd5njr
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5 2:17 PM
      Just for giggles I tried out the UZ7HO program as an input port for APRSIS. Why not, I had one of those USB tuner dongles sitting around. Our amateur radio club did a demo on those back in January and I ordered one as a dedicated RX for our local repeater, which is only about three miles from my house.

      Boy, UZ7HO was pretty easy to get going. With the dinky antenna and thin coax supplied with the USB dongle, about all I can receive is the TH-D72 across the room.

      But, hey, it still works.

      I am using an older laptop, so SDR# (the middleman between the dongle and UZ7HO Soundmodem) crashes when left on overnight.

      I'll run the dongle on weekends when I can walk by and babysit it periodically. Going to look for appropriate coax and adapters this weekend at the Green Country Hamfest. Maybe then I can receive our "local" digipeaters. Both are about 20mi out.

      73
      Scott
      KD5NJR
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5 2:31 PM

        Another software modem you might try is Dire Wolf has some inovateive error correction.

        And the author is open to suggestions on adding features when he gets the time.

        He added KISS over IP to help me out, and is hopefully looking at DTMF decode, so with work from Lynn also. People with no APRS but with a DTMF radio can send a location. It’s in the APRS spec.

        Contact me off group and I can send the latest beta

        Steve Daniels

        Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

        Torbay Freecycle  Owner

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5 2:54 PM
          At 03:17 PM 2013-03-05, kd5njr wrote:

          Just for giggles I tried out the UZ7HO program as an input port for APRSIS. Why not, I had one of those USB tuner dongles sitting around.

          Could you tell us a bit more about these USB tuner dongles?  Specifically make and model so I can poke about a bit on the Internet?

          Is this the kind of thing you mean?   www.lightinthebox.com/DVB-T-USB-Dongle-TV-Stick--HV13-_p141333.html

          Tony
        • Bob Harris
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5 3:05 PM
            The one some around here have been using is on Amazon. I haven't tried it yet.

            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DCBS94/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_1

            --

            BobHarris (K9UDX)
            Bath, NH

          • kd5njr
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5 4:00 PM
            • Greg Ames
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 10 3:04 PM
                FYI, NooElec also sells through their own website (www.nooelec.com) for slightly less then their prices through amazon.  No experience; I just did some pre-order research.

                There was an article on the Jan 2013 issue of QST on using these dongles for SDR