Re: Temporary digi

  • w1gtt
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
      Thanks to all for the assistance. All set. I'll leave APRSIS out of the digipeating picture and rely only on the TM-D710 to be the WIDE1-1 digi. No further comments from me.

      > On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:
      >
      > > As James has said you'll need to work with the D710 Manual for Menu
      > > 618-620 for the digipeat settings.
      >
      > Nope, I said Menu 620... not 618 nor 619.
      >
      > > I recommend the following
      > > 618 UIDIGI On Alias WIDE1-1
      > > 619 UIFLOOD Off
      > > 620 UITRACE On Alias WIDE
      >
      > 618 is a simple alias substitution routine, and should be left off if
      > you are going to enable 620 on WIDE.
      >
      > 620 will enable WIDEn-N digipeating for any combination of values of n
      > and N. There is no need to play with menu 618 in this case.
      >
      > If you are looking to only act as a fill-in digipeater (ie. only act
      > upon WIDE1-1), then leave menu 620 off, and enable Menu 618 as
      > indicated above.
      >
      > Be aware that menu 618 and 620 act upon the packet differently. 618
      > will simply replace the alias with the station callsign, whereas 620
      > will insert the station callsign, and then decrement the SSID. In both
      > cases the station callsign will be marked as used up, and if the SSID
      > of the alias is zero, it too will be marked as used up.
      >
      > Both settings will work, and packets will be digipeated, but the
      > subsequent packets will look different if anyone is analyzing the raw
      > packets.
      >
      > --
      > James
      > VE6SRV

    • Adam Mahnke
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
        APRSIS32 still makes a great display medium for events, don't give up on it for that aspect.

        Adam
        KC2ANT

        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen wrote:

        > On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Adam Mahnke wrote:
        >
        > > As James has said you'll need to work with the D710 Manual for Menu
        > > 618-620 for the digipeat settings.
        >
        > Nope, I said Menu 620... not 618 nor 619.
        >
        > > I recommend the following
        > > 618 UIDIGI On Alias WIDE1-1
        > > 619 UIFLOOD Off
        > > 620 UITRACE On Alias WIDE
        >
        > 618 is a simple alias substitution routine, and should be left off if
        > you are going to enable 620 on WIDE.
        >
        > 620 will enable WIDEn-N digipeating for any combination of values of n
        > and N. There is no need to play with menu 618 in this case.
        >
        > If you are looking to only act as a fill-in digipeater (ie. only act
        > upon WIDE1-1), then leave menu 620 off, and enable Menu 618 as
        > indicated above.
        >
        > Be aware that menu 618 and 620 act upon the packet differently. 618
        > will simply replace the alias with the station callsign, whereas 620
        > will insert the station callsign, and then decrement the SSID. In both
        > cases the station callsign will be marked as used up, and if the SSID
        > of the alias is zero, it too will be marked as used up.
        >
        > Both settings will work, and packets will be digipeated, but the
        > subsequent packets will look different if anyone is analyzing the raw
        > packets.
        >
        > --
        > James
        > VE6SRV

      • g4ilo
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 10, 2013
          Oh bother! I've just found this out for myself. For various reasons I've had to move my G4ILO-2 igate back to my shack PC. I was using my D710 in APRS mode and letting it do the digipeating, but I thought that I could get APRSIS32 to do it if I used D710(Pkt).

          There's no real benefit to using D710(Pkt) then, is there? I know digipeating isn't supported in APRS mode but you can do it if you set the D710 up exactly the same as APRSIS32, disable all D710-originated beacons and enable the digipeat function.

          Julian, G4ILO

          > Almost. KWD710(PKT) doesn't support digipeating because the CONVerse
          > interface of this mode doesn't support transmitting a "used" bit in the
          > path which is required for digipeated packets. Digipeating will ONLY
          > work with a KISS-type interface as this is the only mode that gives
          > APRSISCE/32 direct access to all of the bits of the AX.25 packet header
          > including the "used" (*) bit in the path components.

        • Robert Bruninga
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 10, 2013
            Clarification:

            > I know digipeating isn't supported in APRS mode...

            Yes it is. Just use the menu to set UIFLOOD and UITRACE commands.

            Bob, WB4aPR

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 10, 2013
              I believe Julian meant APRSISCE/32 controlled digipeatingin via a
              Kwd710(APRS) type port.

              In any of the non-KISS modes (aka CONVerse modes), the UNPROTO x VIA y
              doesn't support flagging a path component as "used" (*) which is a
              digipeating requirement.

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 11, 2013
                Yes that is indeed what I meant. I erroneously thought the D710 in Packet mode was a KISS TNC.