Re: [aprsisce] Re: Temporary digi

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
      On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:

      > As James has said you'll need to work with the D710 Manual for Menu
      > 618-620 for the digipeat settings.

      Nope, I said Menu 620... not 618 nor 619.

      > I recommend the following
      > 618 UIDIGI On Alias WIDE1-1
      > 619 UIFLOOD Off
      > 620 UITRACE On Alias WIDE

      618 is a simple alias substitution routine, and should be left off if
      you are going to enable 620 on WIDE.

      620 will enable WIDEn-N digipeating for any combination of values of n
      and N. There is no need to play with menu 618 in this case.

      If you are looking to only act as a fill-in digipeater (ie. only act
      upon WIDE1-1), then leave menu 620 off, and enable Menu 618 as
      indicated above.

      Be aware that menu 618 and 620 act upon the packet differently. 618
      will simply replace the alias with the station callsign, whereas 620
      will insert the station callsign, and then decrement the SSID. In both
      cases the station callsign will be marked as used up, and if the SSID
      of the alias is zero, it too will be marked as used up.

      Both settings will work, and packets will be digipeated, but the
      subsequent packets will look different if anyone is analyzing the raw
      packets.

    • w1gtt
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
        Thanks to all for the assistance. All set. I'll leave APRSIS out of the digipeating picture and rely only on the TM-D710 to be the WIDE1-1 digi. No further comments from me.

        > On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:
        >
        > > As James has said you'll need to work with the D710 Manual for Menu
        > > 618-620 for the digipeat settings.
        >
        > Nope, I said Menu 620... not 618 nor 619.
        >
        > > I recommend the following
        > > 618 UIDIGI On Alias WIDE1-1
        > > 619 UIFLOOD Off
        > > 620 UITRACE On Alias WIDE
        >
        > 618 is a simple alias substitution routine, and should be left off if
        > you are going to enable 620 on WIDE.
        >
        > 620 will enable WIDEn-N digipeating for any combination of values of n
        > and N. There is no need to play with menu 618 in this case.
        >
        > If you are looking to only act as a fill-in digipeater (ie. only act
        > upon WIDE1-1), then leave menu 620 off, and enable Menu 618 as
        > indicated above.
        >
        > Be aware that menu 618 and 620 act upon the packet differently. 618
        > will simply replace the alias with the station callsign, whereas 620
        > will insert the station callsign, and then decrement the SSID. In both
        > cases the station callsign will be marked as used up, and if the SSID
        > of the alias is zero, it too will be marked as used up.
        >
        > Both settings will work, and packets will be digipeated, but the
        > subsequent packets will look different if anyone is analyzing the raw
        > packets.
        >
        > --
        > James
        > VE6SRV

      • Adam Mahnke
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
          APRSIS32 still makes a great display medium for events, don't give up on it for that aspect.

          Adam
          KC2ANT

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen wrote:

          > On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Adam Mahnke wrote:
          >
          > > As James has said you'll need to work with the D710 Manual for Menu
          > > 618-620 for the digipeat settings.
          >
          > Nope, I said Menu 620... not 618 nor 619.
          >
          > > I recommend the following
          > > 618 UIDIGI On Alias WIDE1-1
          > > 619 UIFLOOD Off
          > > 620 UITRACE On Alias WIDE
          >
          > 618 is a simple alias substitution routine, and should be left off if
          > you are going to enable 620 on WIDE.
          >
          > 620 will enable WIDEn-N digipeating for any combination of values of n
          > and N. There is no need to play with menu 618 in this case.
          >
          > If you are looking to only act as a fill-in digipeater (ie. only act
          > upon WIDE1-1), then leave menu 620 off, and enable Menu 618 as
          > indicated above.
          >
          > Be aware that menu 618 and 620 act upon the packet differently. 618
          > will simply replace the alias with the station callsign, whereas 620
          > will insert the station callsign, and then decrement the SSID. In both
          > cases the station callsign will be marked as used up, and if the SSID
          > of the alias is zero, it too will be marked as used up.
          >
          > Both settings will work, and packets will be digipeated, but the
          > subsequent packets will look different if anyone is analyzing the raw
          > packets.
          >
          > --
          > James
          > VE6SRV

        • g4ilo
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 10, 2013
            Oh bother! I've just found this out for myself. For various reasons I've had to move my G4ILO-2 igate back to my shack PC. I was using my D710 in APRS mode and letting it do the digipeating, but I thought that I could get APRSIS32 to do it if I used D710(Pkt).

            There's no real benefit to using D710(Pkt) then, is there? I know digipeating isn't supported in APRS mode but you can do it if you set the D710 up exactly the same as APRSIS32, disable all D710-originated beacons and enable the digipeat function.

            Julian, G4ILO

            > Almost. KWD710(PKT) doesn't support digipeating because the CONVerse
            > interface of this mode doesn't support transmitting a "used" bit in the
            > path which is required for digipeated packets. Digipeating will ONLY
            > work with a KISS-type interface as this is the only mode that gives
            > APRSISCE/32 direct access to all of the bits of the AX.25 packet header
            > including the "used" (*) bit in the path components.

          • Robert Bruninga
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 10, 2013
              Clarification:

              > I know digipeating isn't supported in APRS mode...

              Yes it is. Just use the menu to set UIFLOOD and UITRACE commands.

              Bob, WB4aPR

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 10, 2013
                I believe Julian meant APRSISCE/32 controlled digipeatingin via a
                Kwd710(APRS) type port.

                In any of the non-KISS modes (aka CONVerse modes), the UNPROTO x VIA y
                doesn't support flagging a path component as "used" (*) which is a
                digipeating requirement.

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 11, 2013
                  Yes that is indeed what I meant. I erroneously thought the D710 in Packet mode was a KISS TNC.