RE: [aprsisce] Re: Temporary digi

  • Adam Mahnke
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 2 3:19 PM
      From what I'm gathering you're planning to use the D710 in Native APRS Mode as a Digipeater.

      Refer to http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port:kenwood-tm-d710 for set up with APRSIS32

      As James has said you'll need to work with the D710 Manual for Menu 618-620 for the digipeat settings.

      http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/File/UnitedStates/Communications/AMA/Manuals/TM-D710A_B62-1986-30_English.pdf
      and
      http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/File/UnitedStates/Communications/AMA/Manuals/TM-D710A_B62-1986-30_English.pdf

      I recommend the following
      618 UIDIGI On Alias WIDE1-1
      619 UIFLOOD Off
      620 UITRACE On Alias WIDE

      Note, when you're done with your event, 618, and 620 should be turned to OFF so that you don't digi everything out there as you drive around town with your D710.

      In this configuration the D710 is your radio/Digi as a stand alone, you will have APRSIS32 hooked up for display options only. There will be no interaction other than to display information. If you're radio can hear your trackers, then they will be displayed on the map. It's the exact same set up as with UIView (which you've made clear you have no issues with, so I'm not sure why you're asking)

      Now, if you want to have the Radio be a "dumb" radio/TNC combination it gets a little trickier as James has said, it requires editing your XML file.

      You'll need to set up a new port to the D710 using the KWD710(PKT) port type. From there I suggest following

      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration  (Highly recommend you watch this video anyway if you've never set up APRSIS32 at all in the past.)

      The video discusses radio ports around the 2 minute mark, just choose the KWD710(PKT) instead of KISS

      Once that's done, to add the Digi option you'll need to look at
      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:digipeating

      for instructions on how and where to add the digi command to the XML file. James has offered to edit that for you if you so choose.

      Good luck with it, and hopefully that helped answer some of your questions.

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: w1gtt@...
      Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 20:28:59 +0000
      Subject: [aprsisce] Re: Temporary digi

      Thanks for your replies...The TM-D710 will be the radio that is receiving the APRS data.......the computer with APRSIS will be displaying that data....now how can I make sure the system is set up as a digi for the several trackers deployed along the event? Again,I have NO problem doing the same with UI-View32 and the TM-D710.

      I looked at the Wiki page and to me it really says nothing that I could understand or determine what it was saying! Maybe I'm missing something there!!

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2 3:22 PM
        On 3/2/2013 6:19 PM, Adam Mahnke wrote:
        You'll need to set up a new port to the D710 using the KWD710(PKT) port type. From there I suggest following

        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration  (Highly recommend you watch this video anyway if you've never set up APRSIS32 at all in the past.)

        The video discusses radio ports around the 2 minute mark, just choose the KWD710(PKT) instead of KISS

        Almost.  KWD710(PKT) doesn't support digipeating because the CONVerse interface of this mode doesn't support transmitting a "used" bit in the path which is required for digipeated packets.  Digipeating will ONLY work with a KISS-type interface as this is the only mode that gives APRSISCE/32 direct access to all of the bits of the AX.25 packet header including the "used" (*) bit in the path components.

      • Adam Mahnke
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 2 3:30 PM
          DOH, and that's why you get paid the big bucks for development *grin*

          so if/when Digi is required via the D710, it'll have to be a KISS port? or does the D710 just not support it at all?

          Adam
          KC2ANT

          To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2 4:06 PM
              Got it, which is why I use the D710 in native APRS mode as much as possible.

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2 4:33 PM
                On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:

                > As James has said you'll need to work with the D710 Manual for Menu
                > 618-620 for the digipeat settings.

                Nope, I said Menu 620... not 618 nor 619.

                > I recommend the following
                > 618 UIDIGI On Alias WIDE1-1
                > 619 UIFLOOD Off
                > 620 UITRACE On Alias WIDE

                618 is a simple alias substitution routine, and should be left off if
                you are going to enable 620 on WIDE.

                620 will enable WIDEn-N digipeating for any combination of values of n
                and N. There is no need to play with menu 618 in this case.

                If you are looking to only act as a fill-in digipeater (ie. only act
                upon WIDE1-1), then leave menu 620 off, and enable Menu 618 as
                indicated above.

                Be aware that menu 618 and 620 act upon the packet differently. 618
                will simply replace the alias with the station callsign, whereas 620
                will insert the station callsign, and then decrement the SSID. In both
                cases the station callsign will be marked as used up, and if the SSID
                of the alias is zero, it too will be marked as used up.

                Both settings will work, and packets will be digipeated, but the
                subsequent packets will look different if anyone is analyzing the raw
                packets.

              • w1gtt
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2 6:05 PM
                  Thanks to all for the assistance. All set. I'll leave APRSIS out of the digipeating picture and rely only on the TM-D710 to be the WIDE1-1 digi. No further comments from me.

                  > On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > As James has said you'll need to work with the D710 Manual for Menu
                  > > 618-620 for the digipeat settings.
                  >
                  > Nope, I said Menu 620... not 618 nor 619.
                  >
                  > > I recommend the following
                  > > 618 UIDIGI On Alias WIDE1-1
                  > > 619 UIFLOOD Off
                  > > 620 UITRACE On Alias WIDE
                  >
                  > 618 is a simple alias substitution routine, and should be left off if
                  > you are going to enable 620 on WIDE.
                  >
                  > 620 will enable WIDEn-N digipeating for any combination of values of n
                  > and N. There is no need to play with menu 618 in this case.
                  >
                  > If you are looking to only act as a fill-in digipeater (ie. only act
                  > upon WIDE1-1), then leave menu 620 off, and enable Menu 618 as
                  > indicated above.
                  >
                  > Be aware that menu 618 and 620 act upon the packet differently. 618
                  > will simply replace the alias with the station callsign, whereas 620
                  > will insert the station callsign, and then decrement the SSID. In both
                  > cases the station callsign will be marked as used up, and if the SSID
                  > of the alias is zero, it too will be marked as used up.
                  >
                  > Both settings will work, and packets will be digipeated, but the
                  > subsequent packets will look different if anyone is analyzing the raw
                  > packets.
                  >
                  > --
                  > James
                  > VE6SRV

                • Adam Mahnke
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 2 6:08 PM
                    APRSIS32 still makes a great display medium for events, don't give up on it for that aspect.

                    Adam
                    KC2ANT

                    --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen wrote:

                    > On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Adam Mahnke wrote:
                    >
                    > > As James has said you'll need to work with the D710 Manual for Menu
                    > > 618-620 for the digipeat settings.
                    >
                    > Nope, I said Menu 620... not 618 nor 619.
                    >
                    > > I recommend the following
                    > > 618 UIDIGI On Alias WIDE1-1
                    > > 619 UIFLOOD Off
                    > > 620 UITRACE On Alias WIDE
                    >
                    > 618 is a simple alias substitution routine, and should be left off if
                    > you are going to enable 620 on WIDE.
                    >
                    > 620 will enable WIDEn-N digipeating for any combination of values of n
                    > and N. There is no need to play with menu 618 in this case.
                    >
                    > If you are looking to only act as a fill-in digipeater (ie. only act
                    > upon WIDE1-1), then leave menu 620 off, and enable Menu 618 as
                    > indicated above.
                    >
                    > Be aware that menu 618 and 620 act upon the packet differently. 618
                    > will simply replace the alias with the station callsign, whereas 620
                    > will insert the station callsign, and then decrement the SSID. In both
                    > cases the station callsign will be marked as used up, and if the SSID
                    > of the alias is zero, it too will be marked as used up.
                    >
                    > Both settings will work, and packets will be digipeated, but the
                    > subsequent packets will look different if anyone is analyzing the raw
                    > packets.
                    >
                    > --
                    > James
                    > VE6SRV

                  • g4ilo
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 10 9:26 AM
                      Oh bother! I've just found this out for myself. For various reasons I've had to move my G4ILO-2 igate back to my shack PC. I was using my D710 in APRS mode and letting it do the digipeating, but I thought that I could get APRSIS32 to do it if I used D710(Pkt).

                      There's no real benefit to using D710(Pkt) then, is there? I know digipeating isn't supported in APRS mode but you can do it if you set the D710 up exactly the same as APRSIS32, disable all D710-originated beacons and enable the digipeat function.

                      Julian, G4ILO

                      > Almost. KWD710(PKT) doesn't support digipeating because the CONVerse
                      > interface of this mode doesn't support transmitting a "used" bit in the
                      > path which is required for digipeated packets. Digipeating will ONLY
                      > work with a KISS-type interface as this is the only mode that gives
                      > APRSISCE/32 direct access to all of the bits of the AX.25 packet header
                      > including the "used" (*) bit in the path components.

                    • Robert Bruninga
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 10 11:17 AM
                        Clarification:

                        > I know digipeating isn't supported in APRS mode...

                        Yes it is. Just use the menu to set UIFLOOD and UITRACE commands.

                        Bob, WB4aPR

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 10 11:44 AM
                          I believe Julian meant APRSISCE/32 controlled digipeatingin via a
                          Kwd710(APRS) type port.

                          In any of the non-KISS modes (aka CONVerse modes), the UNPROTO x VIA y
                          doesn't support flagging a path component as "used" (*) which is a
                          digipeating requirement.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 11 10:58 AM
                            Yes that is indeed what I meant. I erroneously thought the D710 in Packet mode was a KISS TNC.