Re: [aprsisce] Temporary digi

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
      On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM, <w1gtt@...> wrote:

      > Is it possible to use the Kenwood TM-D710 and APRSIS as a temporary
      > digipeater.

      Yes, the D710 can be configured as a temporary digipeater, and since
      you are asking, yours probably already is set up that way.

      The D710 comes factory default configured as a TEMPn-N digipeater.
      Have a look at menu 620. If you want to support WIDEn-N digipeating,
      change the alias from TEMP to WIDE. Don't leave this on permanently.
      Mobile digipeating degrades APRS network performance.

      > I will be using APRSIS during an event scheduled later this
      > month with several trackers along a route. I have checked the WiKi page and
      > really found nothing helpful.

      There's a page specifically named Digipeating in the wiki.

      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:digipeating

      > If it is possible, please forward the correct
      > settings..if not possible, let me know that also.
      > Thanks in advance...I can always revert back to UI-View32. I know I can do
      > it using the radio and that program.

      All the information is already available and documented.

      The choice of which option to use is predicated upon the answer you
      provide to Adam's query.

    • w1gtt
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
        Thanks for your replies...The TM-D710 will be the radio that is receiving the APRS data.......the computer with APRSIS will be displaying that data....now how can I make sure the system is set up as a digi for the several trackers deployed along the event? Again,I have NO problem doing the same with UI-View32 and the TM-D710.

        I looked at the Wiki page and to me it really says nothing that I could understand or determine what it was saying! Maybe I'm missing something there!!

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
          On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM, w1gtt <w1gtt@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for your replies...The TM-D710 will be the radio that is receiving the APRS data...
          >....the computer with APRSIS will be displaying that data....now how can I make sure the
          > system is set up as a digi for the several trackers deployed along the event?

          You can answer the question posed by Adam... is the D710 in control,
          or is APRSISCE/32 in control?

          If the D710 is in control, use menu 620.

          If APRSISCE/32 is in control, edit the XML file.

          > Again,I have NO problem doing the same with UI-View32 and the TM-D710.

          And most of us hove no problem doing the same with APRSISCE/32 and the
          TM-D710. The statement you make has no bearing on the issue at hand.
          If you are looking to configure your current equipment configuration
          as a digipeater, you're going to have to work with what you are using.
          For us to be able to give you a definitive answer, you will have to
          tell us what you are doing and how you are running your equipment.

          > I looked at the Wiki page and to me it really says nothing that I could understand
          > or determine what it was saying! Maybe I'm missing something there!!

          Try looking at it again. I added more descriptive information and
          formatted the page a little more to make it easier to digest.

          http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:digipeating

          Do you have another APRS capable radio? If so, turn on your D710 in
          the desired configuration for the event. Change your digipeat path in
          the other radio to TEMP1-1, and see if you get digipeated by the D710.
          If so, then the D710 is in control, and you can simply modify menu 620
          as described previously. If you do not get digipeated, then you will
          need to modify the XML file as described in the wiki.

          If you can provide the answer to Adam's question, and it turns out
          that APRSISCE/32 is in control, if you send me your XML file directly,
          I will edit it for you.

          It's not rocket science, it's as simple as editing the text in an
          email reply. You've put more time and effort into composing your two
          email queries than it takes to edit the XML file. But the first order
          of business is determining how you have your equipment configured.

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
            Just to clarify Adam's question:

            If you're using Kwd710(APRS) as the port type, then the D710 is in control and you'd want to use the radio's functions for digipeating.

            If you're using a KISS-type port in APRSISCE/32, then APRSISCE/32 is in control and you have to configure digipeating by editing the XML configuration file.

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
              From what I'm gathering you're planning to use the D710 in Native APRS Mode as a Digipeater.

              Refer to http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port:kenwood-tm-d710 for set up with APRSIS32

              As James has said you'll need to work with the D710 Manual for Menu 618-620 for the digipeat settings.

              http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/File/UnitedStates/Communications/AMA/Manuals/TM-D710A_B62-1986-30_English.pdf
              and
              http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/File/UnitedStates/Communications/AMA/Manuals/TM-D710A_B62-1986-30_English.pdf

              I recommend the following
              618 UIDIGI On Alias WIDE1-1
              619 UIFLOOD Off
              620 UITRACE On Alias WIDE

              Note, when you're done with your event, 618, and 620 should be turned to OFF so that you don't digi everything out there as you drive around town with your D710.

              In this configuration the D710 is your radio/Digi as a stand alone, you will have APRSIS32 hooked up for display options only. There will be no interaction other than to display information. If you're radio can hear your trackers, then they will be displayed on the map. It's the exact same set up as with UIView (which you've made clear you have no issues with, so I'm not sure why you're asking)

              Now, if you want to have the Radio be a "dumb" radio/TNC combination it gets a little trickier as James has said, it requires editing your XML file.

              You'll need to set up a new port to the D710 using the KWD710(PKT) port type. From there I suggest following

              http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration  (Highly recommend you watch this video anyway if you've never set up APRSIS32 at all in the past.)

              The video discusses radio ports around the 2 minute mark, just choose the KWD710(PKT) instead of KISS

              Once that's done, to add the Digi option you'll need to look at
              http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:digipeating

              for instructions on how and where to add the digi command to the XML file. James has offered to edit that for you if you so choose.

              Good luck with it, and hopefully that helped answer some of your questions.

              Adam
              KC2ANT

              To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
              From: w1gtt@...
              Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 20:28:59 +0000
              Subject: [aprsisce] Re: Temporary digi

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                On 3/2/2013 6:19 PM, Adam Mahnke wrote:
                You'll need to set up a new port to the D710 using the KWD710(PKT) port type. From there I suggest following

                http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration  (Highly recommend you watch this video anyway if you've never set up APRSIS32 at all in the past.)

                The video discusses radio ports around the 2 minute mark, just choose the KWD710(PKT) instead of KISS

                Almost.  KWD710(PKT) doesn't support digipeating because the CONVerse interface of this mode doesn't support transmitting a "used" bit in the path which is required for digipeated packets.  Digipeating will ONLY work with a KISS-type interface as this is the only mode that gives APRSISCE/32 direct access to all of the bits of the AX.25 packet header including the "used" (*) bit in the path components.

              • Adam Mahnke
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                  DOH, and that's why you get paid the big bucks for development *grin*

                  so if/when Digi is required via the D710, it'll have to be a KISS port? or does the D710 just not support it at all?

                  Adam
                  KC2ANT

                  To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                      Got it, which is why I use the D710 in native APRS mode as much as possible.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                        On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:

                        > As James has said you'll need to work with the D710 Manual for Menu
                        > 618-620 for the digipeat settings.

                        Nope, I said Menu 620... not 618 nor 619.

                        > I recommend the following
                        > 618 UIDIGI On Alias WIDE1-1
                        > 619 UIFLOOD Off
                        > 620 UITRACE On Alias WIDE

                        618 is a simple alias substitution routine, and should be left off if
                        you are going to enable 620 on WIDE.

                        620 will enable WIDEn-N digipeating for any combination of values of n
                        and N. There is no need to play with menu 618 in this case.

                        If you are looking to only act as a fill-in digipeater (ie. only act
                        upon WIDE1-1), then leave menu 620 off, and enable Menu 618 as
                        indicated above.

                        Be aware that menu 618 and 620 act upon the packet differently. 618
                        will simply replace the alias with the station callsign, whereas 620
                        will insert the station callsign, and then decrement the SSID. In both
                        cases the station callsign will be marked as used up, and if the SSID
                        of the alias is zero, it too will be marked as used up.

                        Both settings will work, and packets will be digipeated, but the
                        subsequent packets will look different if anyone is analyzing the raw
                        packets.

                      • w1gtt
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                          Thanks to all for the assistance. All set. I'll leave APRSIS out of the digipeating picture and rely only on the TM-D710 to be the WIDE1-1 digi. No further comments from me.

                          > On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > As James has said you'll need to work with the D710 Manual for Menu
                          > > 618-620 for the digipeat settings.
                          >
                          > Nope, I said Menu 620... not 618 nor 619.
                          >
                          > > I recommend the following
                          > > 618 UIDIGI On Alias WIDE1-1
                          > > 619 UIFLOOD Off
                          > > 620 UITRACE On Alias WIDE
                          >
                          > 618 is a simple alias substitution routine, and should be left off if
                          > you are going to enable 620 on WIDE.
                          >
                          > 620 will enable WIDEn-N digipeating for any combination of values of n
                          > and N. There is no need to play with menu 618 in this case.
                          >
                          > If you are looking to only act as a fill-in digipeater (ie. only act
                          > upon WIDE1-1), then leave menu 620 off, and enable Menu 618 as
                          > indicated above.
                          >
                          > Be aware that menu 618 and 620 act upon the packet differently. 618
                          > will simply replace the alias with the station callsign, whereas 620
                          > will insert the station callsign, and then decrement the SSID. In both
                          > cases the station callsign will be marked as used up, and if the SSID
                          > of the alias is zero, it too will be marked as used up.
                          >
                          > Both settings will work, and packets will be digipeated, but the
                          > subsequent packets will look different if anyone is analyzing the raw
                          > packets.
                          >
                          > --
                          > James
                          > VE6SRV

                        • Adam Mahnke
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                            APRSIS32 still makes a great display medium for events, don't give up on it for that aspect.

                            Adam
                            KC2ANT

                            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen wrote:

                            > On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Adam Mahnke wrote:
                            >
                            > > As James has said you'll need to work with the D710 Manual for Menu
                            > > 618-620 for the digipeat settings.
                            >
                            > Nope, I said Menu 620... not 618 nor 619.
                            >
                            > > I recommend the following
                            > > 618 UIDIGI On Alias WIDE1-1
                            > > 619 UIFLOOD Off
                            > > 620 UITRACE On Alias WIDE
                            >
                            > 618 is a simple alias substitution routine, and should be left off if
                            > you are going to enable 620 on WIDE.
                            >
                            > 620 will enable WIDEn-N digipeating for any combination of values of n
                            > and N. There is no need to play with menu 618 in this case.
                            >
                            > If you are looking to only act as a fill-in digipeater (ie. only act
                            > upon WIDE1-1), then leave menu 620 off, and enable Menu 618 as
                            > indicated above.
                            >
                            > Be aware that menu 618 and 620 act upon the packet differently. 618
                            > will simply replace the alias with the station callsign, whereas 620
                            > will insert the station callsign, and then decrement the SSID. In both
                            > cases the station callsign will be marked as used up, and if the SSID
                            > of the alias is zero, it too will be marked as used up.
                            >
                            > Both settings will work, and packets will be digipeated, but the
                            > subsequent packets will look different if anyone is analyzing the raw
                            > packets.
                            >
                            > --
                            > James
                            > VE6SRV

                          • g4ilo
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 10, 2013
                              Oh bother! I've just found this out for myself. For various reasons I've had to move my G4ILO-2 igate back to my shack PC. I was using my D710 in APRS mode and letting it do the digipeating, but I thought that I could get APRSIS32 to do it if I used D710(Pkt).

                              There's no real benefit to using D710(Pkt) then, is there? I know digipeating isn't supported in APRS mode but you can do it if you set the D710 up exactly the same as APRSIS32, disable all D710-originated beacons and enable the digipeat function.

                              Julian, G4ILO

                              > Almost. KWD710(PKT) doesn't support digipeating because the CONVerse
                              > interface of this mode doesn't support transmitting a "used" bit in the
                              > path which is required for digipeated packets. Digipeating will ONLY
                              > work with a KISS-type interface as this is the only mode that gives
                              > APRSISCE/32 direct access to all of the bits of the AX.25 packet header
                              > including the "used" (*) bit in the path components.

                            • Robert Bruninga
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 10, 2013
                                Clarification:

                                > I know digipeating isn't supported in APRS mode...

                                Yes it is. Just use the menu to set UIFLOOD and UITRACE commands.

                                Bob, WB4aPR

                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 10, 2013
                                  I believe Julian meant APRSISCE/32 controlled digipeatingin via a
                                  Kwd710(APRS) type port.

                                  In any of the non-KISS modes (aka CONVerse modes), the UNPROTO x VIA y
                                  doesn't support flagging a path component as "used" (*) which is a
                                  digipeating requirement.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 11, 2013
                                    Yes that is indeed what I meant. I erroneously thought the D710 in Packet mode was a KISS TNC.