Re: Quation about Killing DF Objects

  • pa3bnx
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
      Hello EveryBody,

      I didn't think of the time to kill the frames over
      1200 baud packet link.

      I just thought of sending killed objects over TCPIP
      portlink from SoundDoppler.exe to APRSIS32.exe to the IGate.

      The problem is that the object has different objectnames
      like:

      ;BNX.DF001
      ;BNX.DF002

      Or

      ;BNX121921
      ;BNX121922

      When doing a doppler fox hunt APRS over 1200 baud links
      is not praktical because of the disturbance off
      the doppler bearings while transmitting the APRS packet

      Thats certainly happening if DFing and APRS are on the same band.

      For stationairy doppler station with Internet
      I will always send the objects through APRSIS32.exe to the internet.

      I will check to see if APRSIS32 does kill objects
      when overwritten.

      So I have to check to see if latitude longitude and or
      cse/spd/hdg/nrq are changed but the object name is the same
      it will delete or overwrite the object.

      By the way APRSIS32.exe cannot digipeat between
      a TEXT TCPPort and an other Kiss TNC port.

      Or am I somewhere wrong with this.

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
        "By the way APRSIS32.exe cannot digipeat between a TEXT TCPPort and an other Kiss TNC port."
        The packet can be sent to IS but not out a KISS port. That is true or at least was. With the new IS to RF gating, maybe something can be done. I haven't checked lately.
        "I will check to see if APRSIS32 does kill objects when overwritten."

        APRSIS32 does kill objects. Other clients may not. I have a couple of traffic objects that I start and stop on occasion.

        APRSIS32 will send a KILL object packet 6 times (IIRC) at the object beacon rate. If an object is updated every 5 minutes, then it will send the KILL packet every 5 minutes.

        APRSIS32 will also update the object if it is moved. For my traffic objects, I send an object located roughly where my traffic text report says a problem is located. When and if I get to the location, I update the position. About 10-15 minutes later, I kill the object, assuming that by that time, it is less of an issue. Sometimes I wait longer depending on the situation when I get to the problem area.