Quation about Killing DF Objects

  • pa3bnx
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
      Hello Every Body,

      Now that I got my SoundDoppler.exe program working
      with TCPIP to APRSIS32.exe
      I am thinking of a more sofisticatet way of killing
      older DF Objects from APRSIS32 screen.

      I created in my software a checkbox for killing
      the last object before I send a new DF object.

      But should I save all the objects in my sounddoppler.exe
      program and send the killed objects after some time ?

      I do not have exact control over when the old DF objects
      are deleted on the APRSIS32 screen.

      So I was thinking of collecting the older objects in my own
      program and then when I think the time is there I send all
      the killed object frames through APRSIS32.exe

      Or is there a better way in APRSIS32 to decide when the old
      objects are removed from screen.
    • Robert Bruninga
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
        Im not following this closely, but killing objects takes a lot of air
        time.

        It is better just to UPDATE the existing object and send it with new data.
        The old one will disappear since the new one replaces it...

        Will that work?

        Bob

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1 10:28 AM
          Hello EveryBody,

          I didn't think of the time to kill the frames over
          1200 baud packet link.

          I just thought of sending killed objects over TCPIP
          portlink from SoundDoppler.exe to APRSIS32.exe to the IGate.

          The problem is that the object has different objectnames
          like:

          ;BNX.DF001
          ;BNX.DF002

          Or

          ;BNX121921
          ;BNX121922

          When doing a doppler fox hunt APRS over 1200 baud links
          is not praktical because of the disturbance off
          the doppler bearings while transmitting the APRS packet

          Thats certainly happening if DFing and APRS are on the same band.

          For stationairy doppler station with Internet
          I will always send the objects through APRSIS32.exe to the internet.

          I will check to see if APRSIS32 does kill objects
          when overwritten.

          So I have to check to see if latitude longitude and or
          cse/spd/hdg/nrq are changed but the object name is the same
          it will delete or overwrite the object.

          By the way APRSIS32.exe cannot digipeat between
          a TEXT TCPPort and an other Kiss TNC port.

          Or am I somewhere wrong with this.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1 10:44 AM
            "By the way APRSIS32.exe cannot digipeat between a TEXT TCPPort and an other Kiss TNC port."
            The packet can be sent to IS but not out a KISS port. That is true or at least was. With the new IS to RF gating, maybe something can be done. I haven't checked lately.
            "I will check to see if APRSIS32 does kill objects when overwritten."

            APRSIS32 does kill objects. Other clients may not. I have a couple of traffic objects that I start and stop on occasion.

            APRSIS32 will send a KILL object packet 6 times (IIRC) at the object beacon rate. If an object is updated every 5 minutes, then it will send the KILL packet every 5 minutes.

            APRSIS32 will also update the object if it is moved. For my traffic objects, I send an object located roughly where my traffic text report says a problem is located. When and if I get to the location, I update the position. About 10-15 minutes later, I kill the object, assuming that by that time, it is less of an issue. Sometimes I wait longer depending on the situation when I get to the problem area.