Under WINE

  • Kevin Groce
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1 6:35 PM
      Lynn,

      Sometimes the truth about things reveals itself only when we look back
      at the photographs.

      No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain
    • Kevin Groce
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1 6:36 PM
        Lynn,
        Has anyone tried to run the 32bit version under WINE in Linux?

        KG
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1 8:29 PM
          One of the guys here from the UK has a page up about doing that.

          I think it's Colin G6UIM or something like that. Can't dig up the info
          easily on the Blackberry

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1 8:45 PM
            Yes, the reports I've heard say that it works, but when you first bring
            it up, there are no maps. Just hit the right arrow a bunch of times to
            crank up the opacity of the maps to 100% and the maps will become
            visible. Apparently WINE doesn't handle the transparency calls.

            Other than that, I've been led to believe it works. See Julian, G4ILO's
            Blog article at http://blog.g4ilo.com/2010/06/new-aprs-client-for-linux.html

            Kevin Groce wrote:
            > Lynn,
            > Has anyone tried to run the 32bit version under WINE in Linux?
            >

            > KG

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1 8:59 PM

              Before anyone asks, it’s not me.

              Steve

              G6UIM

              One of the guys here from the UK has a page up about doing that.

              I think it's Colin G6UIM or something like that. Can't dig up the info
              easily on the Blackberry

              On 8/1/10, Kevin Groce <krgroce@...> wrote:

              > Lynn ,
              > Has anyone tried to run the 32bit version under WINE in Linux?
              >

              > KG

            • ko6th_greg
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1 10:31 PM
                Well, it seems to work, at least all the UI stuff (which is where most Windows apps run into trouble with Wine) and the maps are good. I'm not having any success getting my position into APRS-IS, however, but I haven't really had much time to play with the settings. It does show APRS as "connected" (I have a pass code), but enabling Beacons and hitting transmit only resulted in a log entry; aprs.fi doesn't show anything.

                I'm actually running Crossover Office (a front-end to Wine), with Wine version 1.1.9-1.11.1 on an OpenSuSE 11.1 system with a KDE 3.5 Desktop.

                Greg KO6TH

                > Yes, the reports I've heard say that it works, but when you first bring
                > it up, there are no maps. Just hit the right arrow a bunch of times to
                > crank up the opacity of the maps to 100% and the maps will become
                > visible. Apparently WINE doesn't handle the transparency calls.
                >
                > Other than that, I've been led to believe it works. See Julian, G4ILO's
                > Blog article at http://blog.g4ilo.com/2010/06/new-aprs-client-for-linux.html

                > Kevin Groce wrote:
                > > Lynn,
                > > Has anyone tried to run the 32bit version under WINE in Linux?
                > >

                > > KG

              • Chris
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 21 3:48 AM
                  I've run some tests over the last few days to check operation of Windows programs under Wine.

                  I'm running APRSIS32 and APRS Messenger together and as far as I can see everything works as it should. The TCP/IP link between the two programs works correctly as well.

                  I tried running APRS Messenger under Wine a month or two back but it couldn't open the sound card for the APRS over PSK / GMSK.

                  I think that there must have have been some recent improvements in the Wine program.

                  I'm running it on Ubuntu 10.04.

                  73,

                  Chris, G4HYG
                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 21 10:38 AM

                    Hi All

                    Seems I have broken APRSIS messaging, so that’s me for the spam block again.

                    The new message system does not like callsigns typed in lowercase. Originally I replied to a message, my xml had the call stored in lowercase, the sender had sent in uppercase, so I had a popup telling me of a pirated ack.

                    After testing it seems sending with the recipient in upper case works ok, but if in lowercase the message does not get acked and keeps trying to send. The recipient does not get the message, but the message does get to APRS.FI

                    So for the time being make sure you put the callsign in uppercase for sending, even if you are replying.

                    Thanks to 2E0JXE for helping figure that out

                    Steve

                    G6UIM

                    Aprsis.ham-radio-op.net

                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 21 11:55 AM

                      Well testing here between new and an older version, it seems to be a send problem as I can send from the older version to the newer one without a problem.

                      Sending from new to old I get a pirated ack response and the message retries but does get through.

                      So it seems the ack response part of the newer software treats upper and lower as two different callsigns.

                      Although between two new versions is slightly more messy. Will test again by upgrading my laptop and see if I can narrow things down a bit more

                      Steve

                      G6UIM

                      Aprsis.ham-radio-op.net

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 21 2:58 PM

                        I like watching Balloons and rockets launch so have set my system to easily monitor them. I have been asked a couple of times to share these so thought I would post them .

                        First off if you have a cut down feed put the following in your filter.

                        s/'^OSXg/^O

                        that will allow all flight related symbols through apart from satellites. I.E planes, helicopters, rockets, gliders and balloons.

                        If you just want balloons and planes then

                        s/'^O/^O

                        equally just balloons

                        s/O/O

                        also add

                        u/APBL*

                        which is balloon/rocket specific hardware (on test in my car) I am looking for more of these.

                        Then go into the xml file and either edit the custom or flight views, here are my xml lines

                        <View.Flight.Primary>'^OSXg</View.Flight.Primary>

                        <View.Flight.Alternate>^O</View.Flight.Alternate>

                        But you can change the custom entries instead. Just use the characters after s/ in primary and after the second / in alternate

                        So now you can go into view click off ALL and go into symbols and click flight or custom. Scroll out and watch for flights.

                        Please message me if you see a balloon ready to go. And keep in mind not all balloons use 11 as an ssid and some people use the balloon symbol because it’s pretty.

                        Thinking of setting up a section on aprsis.ham-radio-op.net for this where heads up on a flight will notify you by email. If you set it in your profile.

                        Hope thats some help.

                        Will give you all a heads up when my balloon/plane launch goes up.

                        Plane release at around 60Kft with tracking and Camera payload at 90Kft also tracked.

                        Steve

                        G6UIM

                        http://aprsis.ham-radio-op.net

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 21 7:29 PM
                          Does APRSISCE/32's map transparency work under Wine? I was under the
                          impression that you had to run the OSM maps as fully opaque or they'd
                          just disappear completely. Left/Right arrow keys control this. At 0%,
                          the lat/lon lines appear if you're zoomed out (up/down arrows) far
                          enough. At 100%, I was told they show up under Wine. Each keypress
                          goes up (right) or down (left) by 5%.

                          Chris wrote:
                          > I've run some tests over the last few days to check operation of Windows programs under Wine.
                          >
                          > I'm running APRSIS32 and APRS Messenger together and as far as I can see everything works as it should. The TCP/IP link between the two programs works correctly as well.
                          >
                          > I tried running APRS Messenger under Wine a month or two back but it couldn't open the sound card for the APRS over PSK / GMSK.
                          >
                          > I think that there must have have been some recent improvements in the Wine program.
                          >
                          > I'm running it on Ubuntu 10.04.
                          >
                          > 73,
                          >
                          > Chris, G4HYG

                        • Greg D.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 21 10:11 PM
                            Hi Lynn,

                            Seems to work more or less fine here.  I've got the 6/15 version, and am running Wine version 1.1.9-1.11.1 on an OpenSuSE 11.1 system with the KDE 3.5 desktop.  Nice smooth transition from full saturation to blank.

                            The only thing I notice is that when you're all the way transparent, the lat/lon lines appear, but they're criss-crossed all over the screen.  The number of lines and the way they're thrown on the screen depend on the size of the window and/or the zoom level.

                            Greg  KO6TH

                            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                            From: kj4erj@...
                            Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 22:29:46 -0400
                            Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: Under WINE

                            Chris wrote:
                            > I've run some tests over the last few days to check operation of Windows programs under Wine.
                            >
                            > I'm running APRSIS32 and APRS Messenger together and as far as I can see everything works as it should. The TCP/IP link between the two programs works correctly as well.
                            >
                            > I tried running APRS Messenger under Wine a month or two back but it couldn't open the sound card for the APRS over PSK / GMSK.
                            >
                            > I think that there must have have been some recent improvements in the Wine program.
                            >
                            > I'm running it on Ubuntu 10.04.
                            >
                            > 73,
                            >
                            > Chris, G4HYG

                          • zl1vfo
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 22 2:20 AM
                              --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <sbd64000@...> wrote:

                              ~~~Snip ~~~

                              > Will give you all a heads up when my balloon/plane launch goes up.
                              >
                              > Plane release at around 60Kft with tracking and Camera payload at 90Kft also tracked.
                              >
                              > Steve
                              >
                              > G6UIM
                              > http://aprsis.ham-radio-op.net

                              Plane...?

                              That could only mean.... PARIS
                              <http://www.theregister.co.uk/science/paris/>
                              <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/21/paris_radio_kit/>

                              Thought I recognized the call.

                              -Ian ZL1VFO
                              (Watching from afar)
                            • g4ilo
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 22 3:51 AM
                                When I tried it a couple of months back transparency definitely didn't work, but that may have been a different version of wine or perhaps a limitation of the display drivers for the laptop I was using.

                                I only tried APRSIS32 with an internet connection as there was no radio where the Linux PC was so I would be interested to know if any of the sound card packet modems like AGWPE or TrueTTY work under wine. Having been accused this morning of having a counterfeit copy of Windows on my PC purchased new a few months ago from HP I would be more than happy to tell Microsoft where to stick its operating system were it not for the fact that people keep on writing software only for Windows.

                                Julian, G4ILO

                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 22 9:00 AM
                                  The Lat/Lon behavior is probably correct. I draw them at a fixed
                                  spacing and still overlay the range circle, so it can look pretty
                                  strange. I'm still not sure what to do with those, so I just leave them
                                  as they are. If you have access to a native Windows platform, see if it
                                  behaves the same.

                                  Greg D. wrote:

                                  > Hi Lynn,
                                  >
                                  > Seems to work more or less fine here. I've got the 6/15 version, and
                                  > am running Wine version 1.1.9-1.11.1 on an OpenSuSE 11.1 system with
                                  > the KDE 3.5 desktop. Nice smooth transition from full saturation to
                                  > blank.
                                  >
                                  > The only thing I notice is that when you're all the way transparent,
                                  > the lat/lon lines appear, but they're criss-crossed all over the
                                  > screen. The number of lines and the way they're thrown on the screen
                                  > depend on the size of the window and/or the zoom level.
                                  >
                                  > Greg KO6TH

                                  > To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                                  > From: kj4erj@...
                                  > Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 22:29:46 -0400
                                  > Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: Under WINE
                                  >

                                  > Does APRSISCE/32's map transparency work under Wine? I was under the
                                  > impression that you had to run the OSM maps as fully opaque or they'd
                                  > just disappear completely. Left/Right arrow keys control this. At 0%,
                                  > the lat/lon lines appear if you're zoomed out (up/down arrows) far
                                  > enough. At 100%, I was told they show up under Wine. Each keypress
                                  > goes up (right) or down (left) by 5%.

                                  > Chris wrote:
                                  > > I've run some tests over the last few days to check operation of
                                  > Windows programs under Wine.
                                  > >
                                  > > I'm running APRSIS32 and APRS Messenger together and as far as I can
                                  > see everything works as it should. The TCP/IP link between the two
                                  > programs works correctly as well.
                                  > >
                                  > > I tried running APRS Messenger under Wine a month or two back but it
                                  > couldn't open the sound card for the APRS over PSK / GMSK.
                                  > >
                                  > > I think that there must have have been some recent improvements in
                                  > the Wine program.
                                  > >
                                  > > I'm running it on Ubuntu 10.04.
                                  > >
                                  > > 73,
                                  > >
                                  > > Chris, G4HYG

                                • Steve
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 22 2:18 PM

                                    That would be me yes.

                                    And on this link you get a pic of me, for those of you sad enough to want to know what I look like.

                                    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/03/vulture_gps_test/

                                    Steve

                                    G6UIM

                                    http://aprsis.ham-radio-op.net

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 22 10:43 PM
                                      Hi Lynn,

                                      My PC is dual-booted with Windows XP, but I've got a bazillion windows open right now under Linux, and don't want to shut it down.  I did try running the same binary under VMWare Player with Windows XP loaded inside that, so it's sort of the test you wanted...  When I go clear to white in that situation, the lines only appear if I zoom out a bunch, as they are spaced pretty far apart.  If I happen to be sitting on one of them when zoomed in, they appear normal there too.  Well, at least they aren't all criss-crossed all over the place.  One thing I do notice is that when I'm zoomed about 3 clicks of being all the way out, the lat/lon lines resemble a sphere.  Kind of neat, except that where the North Pole should be, when I crank up the saturation I see Canada's Northwest Territories, around Lat 75N, Lon 120W.  Zooming out more moves it North a bit, then when all the way zoomed out, it's off in space somewhere.  This is with the screen centered on me, in CM98kx.  I expect drawing this stuff involves some wicked trigonometry, but something's gotten lost in the translation.

                                      Hope this helps,

                                    • justinscottpontius
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 24 7:48 PM
                                        I just tried it tonight on my laptop w/ Linux Mint (ubuntu) and it worked great, aside from the transparency issue. I'll report back later when I have a chance to try out the open-tracker in KISS mode plugged into com1.

                                        KD8IAY